Midwest

Garden Tools Demo Gets Teacher suspended on Weapons Charge

Teacher Sues School over Suspension for 'Weapons' Charge: Showing Students Garden Tools

http://cnsnews.com/blog/craig-bannister/teacher-sues-school-over-suspension-weapons-charge-showing-students-garden

Teacher gets suspended on a weapons charge for showing his students tools such as wrenches, pliers and screwdrivers. I thought they had 'shop' in school where students would learn how to work with metal and wood and build stuff. At least I remember that way back when.

Garden Tools...........

"Despite the fact that all potentially hazardous items were kept out of the students' reach, school officials at Washington Irving Elementary School informed Doug Bartlett, a 17-year veteran in the classroom, that his use of the tools as visual aids endangered his students. Bartlett was subsequently penalized with a four-day suspension without pay - charged with possessing, carrying, storing or using a weapon."

Most schools in Jersey have closed down most of their shops and home economics programs sighting costs and relevance to the state's core curriculum standards. They rationalize it by saying that is a student desires to follow a vocational education path, they can attend one of the many county vocational schools. I taught "shop" for 35 years in a blue ribbon, avocational high school and had in excess of 4,500 students who were interested in learning things that involved manual dexterity and artistic thinking. It is a shame that the next generation of students will have little hands on skills and there will be a great shortage of service technicians as the current ones get older and retire.

Most schools in Jersey have closed down most of their shops and home economics programs sighting costs and relevance to the state's core curriculum standards. They rationalize it by saying that is a student desires to follow a vocational education path, they can attend one of the many county vocational schools. I taught "shop" for 35 years in a blue ribbon, avocational high school and had in excess of 4,500 students who were interested in learning things that involved manual dexterity and artistic thinking. It is a shame that the next generation of students will have little hands on skills and there will be a great shortage of service technicians as the current ones get older and retire.

Those were the good ole days. We had a nice auto shop complete with Snap On tools and a lift in my high school in NY. Most of the cars that we worked on belonged to the teachers and we did everything from oil changes, brake jobs, tune-ups and a couple of tear downs.

When we goofed off, half the sh1t we did there would result in expulsion if we were judged by today's standards. Smacking a guy in the nuts with a breaker bar while he's on the lift would be highly frowned upon today but made the teacher smirk back then as he told the victim to sit down and rest for few minutes till the pain subsided.

Our young children and all future children are becoming victims of an assimilation process as they're taught to obey oppressive, zero tolerance BS rules.

Yeah, I had a 6 bay shop, 2 lifts, front end rack and machine, brake Rotor & Drum Lathes, 2 Scopes, All Snap-On tools, Outboard Test Tank, multiple running engines on test stands, etc. I miss my shop! :crying:

Yeah, I had a 6 bay shop, 2 lifts, front end rack and machine, brake Rotor & Drum Lathes, 2 Scopes, All Snap-On tools, Outboard Test Tank, multiple running engines on test stands, etc. I miss my shop! :crying:

As someone who graduated from the school you taught at(after you left) we Had wood shop shop and that's it. I'm surprised they even let us have that

Sent from my hidden under ground bunker between Taco Bell and the dry cleaner

You wonder why kids have no skills. Yet this country wants kids to learn trades. With what? Fooking Tinker Toys, Lincoln Logs and play Dough? Scratch that, the first two are actually educating for the young. I took every shop class in grammar school and by 7th grade I had permission to use all the power tools. I made furniture for the last two years in grammar. By freshman HS, I was repairing TVs and rewiring the whole electronic and electrical labs. So, a big What the Frack is it with these tree hugging pussies!

Sent from John's iPad 2 via Tapatalk HD

Typos courtesy Apple...

My HS (in CT) had not only auto shop, wood shop, and a printing shop but also an airplane mechanics class where they built a real deal biplane! And it wasn't even a vocational school. I wonder how much it's changed in the 14 years since I graduated...

With this type of crap, I wonder what they do in science classes these days. Probably can't use any sort of chemicals in chemistry...because they are dangerous. Probably can't dissect frogs or pig fetus in biology... because that involves death. Probably can't teach physics...because someone might learn how gravity works and jump off a building.

My freshman science teacher taught us how to make contact explosives and built potato guns. I bet that is probably out these days...

Heck, you guys are right. I remember using deadly sewing machines and stoves in Home Ec, using disastrous Bunsen burners in science, various different murderous saws in wood shop, blinding welding torches in metal shop. It is nothing shy of a miracle that I am still alive. Hopefully they got rid off all those things. Got to be safe right! Teaching how to safely use those things means there is the potential for danger, might as well just eliminate even the potential! Because fortunately, when you are no longer in school, and are in the real world, nobody ever uses these things.

I couldn't agree more. I'm no Bobby V, more like Dr Seus with tools but I learned quite a bit in that class.

I graduated in 2009 and consider myself lucky that we had wood shop, metal shop, as well as autoshop. I blacksmithed myself a crowbar and walked around with it for the rest of the day until I got yelled at.

When asked for comment on how the garden tools could have endangered the students, "If he were to fix it on his own, we were concerned that Robert may decide to ride his bicycle unsupervised - and could sustain an injury," said a spokesperson for the Washington Irving Elementary School administration.

Robert Gonzalez, a student, had told Mr. Bartlett earlier in the week that he could not ride his bike because it was broken. After inquiring on what was broken, Robbie had apparently told him that there was something loose causing the bicycle to rattle. Doug Bartlett decided to use this as a teaching opportunity to show the students how to use some basic tools like a wrench and screwdriver. The administration had deemed this to be dangerous. No further comment was given and a call to the school superintendent was not returned.

Sorry Robbie, it's dangerous for an adult teacher to show you how to use pliers but here's a free school sponsored condom for you to slip on when you try to hook up with your elementary school classmates. Remember, to stay away from those dangerous pliers!

Which VOTEC were you at ? Did 4 years at waretown, pre-vo and 2 years marine trades..well 3 in marine trades but 2 on record,,HAHAHA...

Tony, I taught is a traditional High School, not a Vo-Tech. 35 years with a variety of subjects, 28 years in Auto. When I started it was pro shop with2 Wood Shops, Metal Shop, Auto Shop, Graphics (printing, photography, screen printing, etc.), 2 Mechanical Drawing rooms and Electricity/Electronics. When I left they had Digital Graphics & one Wood Shop.

Middle school had wood shop, ceramics, stained glass an printmaking.

High school had electronics, computer aided design and a new robotics lab with computer aided manufacturing that no one knew how to use...even the teachers.

I loved wood shop. Was one of my favorites.

This is positively insane. The administrators who run that school system need to be hung.

I'd wager that someone in that school system is out to get the teacher for some other reason and used this incident to get at him.

My elementary school had wood shop, it had band saws, table saws, hand saws, utility knives, drills, sanders, you name it.

I went to a Technical high school, so every tool known to man kind was available to me.