Sig226GuyNJ

Important Advice Needed

Hey guys. My wife and I need some advice. We are moving into an apartment complex in a few months that does not allow pets. We have two extremely loving well behaved cats, and have been looking for a home for them. But we obviously would prefer to keep them. With the difficulty in finding them an appropriate home, and wanting to keep them, my wife may have found a loophole. I was recently diagnosed with high blood pressure. Apparently, under the Fair Housing Act, ppl with disabilities are permitted to keep pets even in no pets apartments. Do you think high blood pressure can fall under this act? Medical researches seem to agree that having pets can reduce high BP. My wife found this letter online. My concerns are, that it states me having a disability. I'm afraid this could be used to take away my guns, which are more important to me than my cats, no matter how much I love them. Do you guys think it's a bad idea trying this? I have no seen this doctor yet, as I was just diagnosed from a doctor I went to see for a laceration on my hand. My appt with him in early next month.

"Dear **** of **** ******* Apartments:

**** is my patient, and has been under my care since May *, 2013. I am familiar with his history and with the functional limitations imposed by his disability. He meets the definition of disability under the Americans with Disabilities Act, the Fair Housing Act, and the Rehabilitation Act of 1973. Due to stress, ***** has certain limitations regarding high blood pressure. In order to help alleviate these difficulties, and to enhance his ability to live independently and to fully use and enjoy the dwelling unit you own and/or administer, I am prescribing an emotional support animal that will assist ****** in coping with his disability.

I am familiar with the voluminous professional literature concerning the therapeutic benefits of assistance animals for people with disabilities such as that experienced by ******. Upon request, I will share citations to relevant studies, and would be happy to answer other questions you may have concerning my recommendation that ***** have an emotional support animal. Should you have additional questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Sincerely,

High blood pressure I don't think would qualify them to take your firearms, The question on the COE and 4473 forms about being disabled only refers to a disability that would prevent you from unsafely handling firearms. I am legally disabled for a back injury and that does not prevent me from owning them. I think some of the disabilities they are refering to are mental or if you take prescription meds that could alter your thought patterns. This is all in my Opinion tho, I have no legal background on this matter.

Also you can get pets classified as support animals, and that gives them access to places others can not go. I dont know the process but I'm sure theres resources online.

HBP can't be used as against you as a firearms disqualifier.

As to the cats, talk to the complex supervisor sometimes they will allow pets if you put down additional money for damage/cleaning deposit.

I've already spoken to them and they are strict about no pets. However, in NJ, as pertaining to the Fair Housing Act, I believe they are legally obligated to accept them if I have a doctors note.

i absolutely hate apartment complexes for reasons such as this. its YOUR HOME, you are PAYING them GOOD money for it in this cursed state. you should be allowed to have it as you see fit so long as it is returned in the same state you got it.

sorry, but i'm having issues with my apartment complex, i'm paying what would equal a mortgage in any other state for a 1000 sq ft 2 bedroom apartment.

honestly if you can stick it to them do it!! lots of people have high blood pressure they can't take your guns away for that and it there is proof that pets can help with that they will have to comply.

best of luck, i hope you don't have to stay there long (same goes for me here)

I know with dogs they need to be trained and certified to be considered therapy animals. I really dont know about cats though. The best thing to do in my opinion is to find another appt or find the cats a home. Sometimes there are battles you wont win.

Ken

I don't think you will win this, but I would not be concerned about it impacting your gun rights. There was a case in Morris County last year or maybe two years ago where they wanted to take away all the guns owned by a blind man - the courts ruled that his disability did not allow the state to take away his guns. If you can be blind and own a gun I see no reason why high blood pressure would be an issue. But remember I am not a lawyer, don't play one on TV, and have not stayed at a Holiday Inn Express :)

So you are aware that this place does not take pets, yet you are going to move there? And try & use the ADA/ Fair housing act to force them to take you with your cats? The ADA and fair housing for persons with disabilities, not illnesses, is for protection of people who are actually classified with a disability, and may be getting SSI or other payments. This kind of lazy thought at scamming a program meant for people that cannot work, or are limited in what they can do, really pisses me off. Take your BP meds, eat better and find somewhere else to live that will take your cats.

I would talk to the owners. Cats are not horrible.... as they mostly kill your own furniture... =P

Can you find another place to move to?

They are extremely well behaved. When they were kittens they did scratch up the bottom of our leather couches. But they're 7 years old now, and no longer scratch at the couches. We have clothe couches now, so that may be a factor. They do scratch at the carpet every once in a while, but the apt we are moving to has wood floors so that wouldn't be an issue.

So you are aware that this place does not take pets, yet you are going to move there? And try & use the ADA/ Fair housing act to force them to take you with your cats? The ADA and fair housing for persons with disabilities, not illnesses, is for protection of people who are actually classified with a disability, and may be getting SSI or other payments. This kind of lazy thought at scamming a program meant for people that cannot work, or are limited in what they can do, really pisses me off. Take your BP meds, eat better and find somewhere else to live that will take your cats.

I love how you just make assumptions towards someone you know nothing about. Entitled attitude? You know nothing about me yet make these assumptions. I work 6 days a week and make 6 figures. I'm not saying that is alot of money in these current economic times, but I am far from someone who feels I should be entitled. I am moving for multiple reasons. One reason being my wife and I live in a home my parents own, while I pay EVERY SINGLE penny on the mortgage and property tax. My parent's have not paid a penny for that house in years. I am moving closer to work b/c I commute 80 miles a day, and spend over $650 a month on gas alone and b/c my parents want to sell the home. Also the reduced rent would save my wife and I, who by the way does not have to work at this time, the luxury of saving over $1000 a month which will come in handy because we are expecting our first child. I paid over $3500 in income tax this year alone. So before you go off spouting remarks towards someone you don't know, how about you hold your tongue if you have nothing productive to add to the thread. I was simply asking for advice and you personally attack my character without knowing anything about me. While being a bit overweight may be a contributing factor to my high BP, most of it stems from the stress of working 6 days a week, almost 60 hours a week, taking care of ALL financial responsibilities AND doing what I can to take care of my parents as well. We have searched for two months for a suitable home for the cats, with no success. We refuse to put them in a shelter to live behind cages. How is that being lazy or feeling entitled? And how the heck is getting a doctors note scamming a system? I'm not asking for anything to be paid for. I'm simply asking to be able to keep my pets due to a medical condition.

To the others who offered advice, thank you. I will speak to my sister who is an attorney. We will also speak with the complex about my new found health condition and see if they will budge. I would really hate to have to bring them a note from a doctor and start off on the wrong foot.

Sneak the cats in...don't let them go outside. Nobody will ever know. I wouldn't give up my cat for an apartment either...frig um...

We've thought about that, but we really do want to abide by the rules. Plus, our apartment has windows with large window sills that they would just sit on all day. There is no way no one would not notice. :( Thanks for the support though.

yes, I do make assumptions, and as you are yammering about below, my assumptions are correct. YOU ARE NOT DISABLED OR DESTITUTE. Just because you work 6 days a week, so you say, and are trying to save money, a laudable goal, does not mean you can misrepresent your illness as a disability. IT IS NOT. High blood pressure is a TREATABLE disease. Having a child in a wheelchair, or being blind and having a service animal, or being disabled due to a work injury are all things that the program is in place for, so those folks are not discriminated against for housing. I work with people who have adult disabled children, functional Down's syndrome adults, and mothers with kids who have multiple medical issues requiring lots of equipment and help. You have the physical ability and wherewithal to look a little harder or pay a little more, yet you are supposedly going to use your newly diagnosed HBP as a means to get what you want. I am ASSUMING you are probably under 40, maybe even under 35. Plenty of time to change your lifestyle and get meds to fix the problem. I have known personally many people who have/had HBP and it is NOT a disability. Just because you pay your bills and work and commute and take cars of relatives, like millions of other people, does not somehow make you disabled for a minor illness. By insisting that you are--which is what your asking for a doc note is----you dilute the protection for those who truly need it, those who cannot stick up for themselves.

I love how you just make assumptions towards someone you know nothing about. Entitled attitude? You know nothing about me yet make these assumptions. I work 6 days a week and make 6 figures. I'm not saying that is alot of money in these current economic times, but I am far from someone who feels I should be entitled. I am moving for multiple reasons. One reason being my wife and I live in a home my parents own, while I pay EVERY SINGLE penny on the mortgage and property tax. My parent's have not paid a penny for that house in years. I am moving closer to work b/c I commute 80 miles a day, and spend over $650 a month on gas alone and b/c my parents want to sell the home. Also the reduced rent would save my wife and I, who by the way does not have to work at this time, the luxury of saving over $1000 a month which will come in handy because we are expecting our first child. I paid over $3500 in income tax this year alone. So before you go off spouting remarks towards someone you don't know, how about you hold your tongue if you have nothing productive to add to the thread. I was simply asking for advice and you personally attack my character without knowing anything about me. While being a bit overweight may be a contributing factor to my high BP, most of it stems from the stress of working 6 days a week, almost 60 hours a week, taking care of ALL financial responsibilities AND doing what I can to take care of my parents as well. We have searched for two months for a suitable home for the cats, with no success. We refuse to put them in a shelter to live behind cages. How is that being lazy or feeling entitled? And how the heck is getting a doctors note scamming a system? I'm not asking for anything to be paid for. I'm simply asking to be able to keep my pets due to a medical condition.

To the others who offered advice, thank you. I will speak to my sister who is an attorney. We will also speak with the complex about my new found health condition and see if they will budge. I would really hate to have to bring them a note from a doctor and start off on the wrong foot.

• Like 1

Renting a place that does not allow pets and then trying to force them to, is like buying a house next to the airport and complaining about all the planes coming and going.

Find a place that allows pets!!!!!!

I can't just leave this alone even though I should walk away from this.

@Matty. Since you seem so insistent on damning this man because you think he's abusing the system...well frankly I think you just need to relax. While I work in the medical field myself and constantly see people who are truly abusing the system I see absolutely nothing wrong with this. Who is going to suffer if the cats do something wrong? The topic creator. How on earth will this demean other peoples rights with disabilities? It won't. By your logic I should want to hang this man from a noose too because I am raising a special needs child, but yet I can't find it in me to be as angry and aggressive as you in this matter.

I really think you need to just step back from this topic...

Renting a place that does not allow pets and then trying to force them to, is like buying a house next to the airport and complaining about all the planes coming and going.

I know renting a house is a little different than in an apartment complex. But in my lease it said no pets and I was eventually given permission to have birds, a rabbit and a puppy.

It can't hurt to try, not everything is set in stone.

yes, I do make assumptions, and as you are yammering about below, my assumptions are correct. YOU ARE NOT DISABLED OR DESTITUTE. Just because you work 6 days a week, so you say, and are trying to save money, a laudable goal, does not mean you can misrepresent your illness as a disability. IT IS NOT. High blood pressure is a TREATABLE disease. Having a child in a wheelchair, or being blind and having a service animal, or being disabled due to a work injury are all things that the program is in place for, so those folks are not discriminated against for housing. I work with people who have adult disabled children, functional Down's syndrome adults, and mothers with kids who have multiple medical issues requiring lots of equipment and help. You have the physical ability and wherewithal to look a little harder or pay a little more, yet you are supposedly going to use your newly diagnosed HBP as a means to get what you want. I am ASSUMING you are probably under 40, maybe even under 35. Plenty of time to change your lifestyle and get meds to fix the problem. I have known personally many people who have/had HBP and it is NOT a disability. Just because you pay your bills and work and commute and take cars of relatives, like millions of other people, does not somehow make you disabled for a minor illness. By insisting that you are--which is what your asking for a doc note is----you dilute the protection for those who truly need it, those who cannot stick up for themselves.

Why are you so angry? Tell me please. What am I doing wrong here? Who am I stealing from? What am I taking away from the needy? I'm not asking for money. From what I understand, by law an apartment complex must give permission to allow pets for people who have been deemed by a medical doctor that needs a pet as therapy. Its said by the medical field that having a pet can and does greatly reduce stress. So on top of watching what I eat, and exercising, why not have the added benefit of a pet companion that gives me joy and laughter? I have already started necessary steps in changing my eating habits and walking every morning and night. I'm not asking for sympathy from anyone. I was merely asking for advice on whether or not the state would look at my having high BP as a disability. Nowhere did I state that I personally thought it was a disability. I merely copied and pasted a letter that is recommended to write to the apartment complex owners. Why are you so angry about this? Tell me, what would I be taking away from people who need assistance? What is wrong with you that you can't comprehend my simple wanting to be able to retain my cats. Have you searched apartment complexes in the Monmouth and Ocean Cty areas? Do you know how crappy most of them are? You say find another place even if its more expensive. Well this is the second most expensive apartment we found. With one other complex being more expensive, yet they allow numerous section 8 housing which is turn provided horrible reviews online. I don't even know why I'm replying to you. You seem like an angry man with personal issues. So instead, I will pray for you that you will find the grace and peace that God has to offer, so that you may find happiness in your life and treat others as you want to be treated. ;)

You obviously have not read the whole thread. I will say this to you as well. Why so angry? What's up with the multiple exclamation points? Do you think you will be able to get your point across more clearly by putting 6 exclamation points after your rant? As a general forum etiquette, you really should not touch those little black buttons called a keyboard if you have nothing productive to add. BTW, who's complaining? The only ones I see complaining are you and matty.

I can't just leave this alone even though I should walk away from this.

@Matty. Since you seem so insistent on damning this man because you think he's abusing the system...well frankly I think you just need to relax. While I work in the medical field myself and constantly see people who are truly abusing the system I see absolutely nothing wrong with this. Who is going to suffer if the cats do something wrong? The topic creator. How on earth will this demean other peoples rights with disabilities? It won't. By your logic I should want to hang this man from a noose too because I am raising a special needs child, but yet I can't find it in me to be as angry and aggressive as you in this matter.

I really think you need to just step back from this topic...

I just wanted to say thank you sir, for being able to see that I am doing nothing wrong. I just don't get how anyone could be so angry about this. It honestly makes no sense to me.

I know renting a house is a little different than in an apartment complex. But in my lease it said no pets and I was eventually given permission to have birds, a rabbit and a puppy.

It can't hurt to try, not everything is set in stone.

And that is why we are trying. We did accept the fact that we would have to give them up. Like I've mentioned before, we've been looking for two months to find a suitable home for them b/c bringing them to a shelter is not an option. I was just diagnosed with HBP and my wife said, "Why don't we try this, we have nothing to lose" b/c it's been so difficult for us to find them a home. We will give it a shot. Thank you for understanding that my doing this would have ZERO harmful effect on ANYBODY else. I appreciate the kind words of encouragement from you sir.

I can guarantee you there are enough people living there with cats already. Put crap in the windows such as those electric candles and the cats can't sit in the windows.

Funny you say that b/c a co-worker of mine who lives in same complex says she has seen cats before. But like I've mentioned before, I want to do it by the book and not risk getting evicted and lose a $3k security deposit. Trust me though, we've at least thought about it but would rather do things the right way.

Can you leave them with the parents while you work on the administration or find another place?

Btw, find another place, keep looking.

Her parents already have a very territorial cat, and my parents have a very territorial dog. These are strictly indoor cats that would not be able to fend for themselves if put with other aggressive pets. As for finding another place. We are not willing to settle living somewhere else when this is the nicest place we found. And we've literally looked at all of them. What really annoys me is that there are other complexes just as nice aesthetically, but they accept so much Section 8 that reviews state drug deals going on almost every night, hood looking characters hanging out in the parking lots, and other less than desirable circumstances. Trust me, if there was another place that was just as nice that allowed pets, we would have found it. Finding another place is not an option. And like I said, we are still realistic we may have to give them up, but we want to try this and see if it will be accepted, which from what I've read, must be according to law. Allowing us to keep our pets would be taking away nothing from anyone else, contrary to what some may believe. I merely started this thread to ask whether or not having HBP which some in the medical field describe as a disability would cause the state to try and take away my guns. I've gotten that answer, so if a mod would kindly close the thread, I would appreciate it. Thanks to all that gave advice and did not go on an angry rant.

What am I doing wrong here?

I'll take a crack at it. You are trying to use a law that was not intended for you circumstances. HBP is not a disability, it is a treatable condition. I know, my father had it and was an aggravating factor in his death, my mother has been on medication for it the past 30 years, I had it and got it cured.

I lived at an apt complex in Wayne that did allow cats. They charged extra rent per cat though. To boot they took part of my deposit when I left to clean carpets. I should have done a walkthrough because those carpets were clean when I left.

Well it seems to me you made your choice. You think the nicer place is worth giving up your pets. My position would be the reverse, but you now have a choice, abandon your animals ( and make no mistakes, a pet in a shelter is likely to end up being put down), or lie to get away with it.

Some of you are unbelievable.... Close this thread b/c this ignorance is not good for my BP. LOL!

I dont see any of this as ignorant. Some of it heated or a little harsh perhaps. The one thing about the post that got me riled up is the fact that some people feel that rules should not apply to them. I think that may be what got matty, njjim and JLF all worked up. I was gonna stay out of it but in an ignorant staement the three mentioned above were acused of making an ignorant post. Kinda the pot calling the kettle black to me.

Maybe you got the answer you where looking for here, maybe not. Good luck with your situation

Ken