Avi

Airbag motorcycle Jackets

Hi anyone have experience with airbag jackets? they seem amazing i cant believe i never heard of it, if i dont hear objections im definitely picking one up. if any of you knows of what brand to get and a good price id appreciate it

http://www.safermoto.com/air-bag-jackets/motorrad-2-mesh/

No Ive never heard of them. My opinion, without any knowledge on the product, is to stick with a good quality leather jacket. If it was better/safer than a high quality leather suit im sure it would be used in MotoGP, ama, etc. I dont know what kind of riding you do, but if riders are walking away in 200+ mph crashes with the proper gear...id learn towards what they are wearing. Dainese, alpinestars, agv, etc are good brands to look at

Once again my opinion, just looked at the link again, dont get it. I dont see a price on it and im just assuming it will be ridiculously priced. The product information is extremely vague from the website for what it is/or claims to be (I dont know if its always inflated or inflates upon impact. If its always inflated, it wouldnt seem to be very comfortable/mobile. If it isnt inflated, you think its going to inflate before you hit the pavement by mere chance lol)

another thing, you have a metal canister in your jacket. You hit the pavement in a regular jacket and the force will be spread across your body as you slide on a relatively flat surface (your body.) You now introduce a metal CO2 tank into the mix, you land on that and you now have a small hard object to transfer the force directly to your body instead of a larger area of impact

Get this:

BubbleBoy-Still8.jpg?partner=allmovie_soap

But in all seriousness, get a track suit or nice leather jacket, pants, boots, gloves, back protector and good helmet if you are concerned about a fall and being able to walk away

No Ive never heard of them. My opinion, without any knowledge on the product, is to stick with a good quality leather jacket. If it was better/safer than a high quality leather suit im sure it would be used in MotoGP, ama, etc. I dont know what kind of riding you do, but if riders are walking away in 200+ mph crashes with the proper gear...id learn towards what they are wearing. Dainese, alpinestars, agv, etc are good brands to look at

they run $500 it has a rip cord like a jetski has when you fly off the bike it inflates in a 1/2 second and it stays inflated, thanks for your input im not a huge rider i do some sport bike and cruiser riding

I am going to pass on one of these. I can't make the decision for you. These jacket airbags seem to deploy at significantly slower speeds than car airbags, therefore, unless you travel quite a distance before impact, it will serve little protection. I will keep my full face helmet and jacket with armor.

I'm pro-safety when it comes to motorcycles, so this is interesting. I firmly believe in "Dress for the crash, not the ride." I do not know anyone who has one, however and would be interested to hear some real-world input in it's day to day use. The first ones that I saw videos of inflated to keep the head and neck from hyper-extending, but looking at Hit-Airs site now it looks like it wraps you up in a bubble.

It certainly couldn't hurt here in NJ where people seem to concentrate on everything but driving while behind the wheel.

If you can afford it, buy it. If you really can't, then don't. Buy the best protection you can afford that still allows you to enjoy your bike. Leather protects you from abrasion, not impact. High end in leather, and you might still break a bunch of bones, but avoid the road rash...The inflating vests and collars are in their infancy, but they are coming...

If you are scared to the point of wearing one of those, don't ride.

If you are scared to the point that you need a gun don't go out In Public. I'm not scared of anything I like being prepared

If you are scared to the point that you need a gun don't go out In Public. I'm not scared of anything I like being prepared

lol. its interesting product, when riding its good to be prepared. Spend that money elsewhere, especially that kind of money. It would be funny if you forgot to disengage the rip cord when you get off the bike and blow up like the michelin man tho haha

Oh yeah, I can see his happening. How many people have you heard of that forgot about their disc brake locks :)

I would go with a good quality heavy leather or synthetic jacket/pants combo, or an Aerostitch suit, personally. Interesting concept, should be something to see if it does what it says it does

lol. its interesting product, when riding its good to be prepared. Spend that money elsewhere, especially that kind of money. It would be funny if you forgot to disengage the rip cord when you get off the bike and blow up like the michelin man tho haha

they run $500 it has a rip cord like a jetski has when you fly off the bike it inflates in a 1/2 second and it stays inflated, thanks for your input im not a huge rider i do some sport bike and cruiser riding

I've never ridden a jetski but I've crashed a motorcycle or two. Is the rip cord attached to the handlebars or something? Because manually pulling a rip cord well your high-siding would be damn near impossible.

There is a functionally identical product available for backcountry skiers/snowboarders/snowmobilers - a giant airbag that inflates around the head and chest to cushion the wearer from trauma. They are proving VERY effective. The current wisdom is that anybody buried in an avalanche is dead within 4-6 minutes, there have been multiple survivors in multiple avalanches being dug out 20-25 minutes later with minimal injuries.

And yes, Avi - the ripcord is attached to the handlebar. On the avalanche pack, the ripcord is on your backpack shoulder strap, but you usually have 1-2 seconds of warning before going down, which is decades longer than you would have in a bike crash.

Can't carry in NJ so I go out in public daily without one. Your fear of crashing makes you dangerous to yourself. Wrap yourself in bubble wrap for all I care.

Yea this kind of gear started coming out around 10 years ago or so. No experience with them tho.

I dont know what kind of riding you do, but if riders are walking away in 200+ mph crashes with the proper gear...id learn towards what they are wearing.

The key ingredient is proper run off at these tracks. When you can slide and not hit anything, you have a greater chance of walking away than if one was to hit an object like armco(guard rail), another car...leather suits save rash, but can do very little for impact.

They were testing them in moto GP a couple years ago. No ripcord though.

Yea this kind of gear started coming out around 10 years ago or so. No experience with them tho.

The key ingredient is proper run off at these tracks. When you can slide and not hit anything, you have a greater chance of walking away than if one was to hit an object like armco(guard rail), another car...leather suits save rash, but can do very little for impact.

exactly what i was thinking, on the track you dont have to worry about cars hitting you, also it doesnt go off by accident if you forget to unclip yourself it need 60 pounds of pressure to detach the tether & inflate.

If you are scared to the point of wearing one of those, don't ride.

Your fear of crashing makes you dangerous to yourself. Wrap yourself in bubble wrap for all I care.

Being prepared and looking at all safety option does not equate to being so scared you can't ride correctly. If you don't have a healthy fear of what can happen while riding a motorcycle in NJ a psych eval should be scheduled.

These type of blowup/air bag suits are probably the future. Like specopsscout said, in their infancy but developing fast. Best bet might be to reach out to someone on a local team or visit a race or track day and ask around. See who is using these things and what they think of them. Wiping out on the track and the street are two different things, typically on the track you have room to slide before some bales so abrasion is the main concern. 

I took a spill over the bars at 85mph may 23rd. Fortunately I had a full 2liter camelback on and my alpinestar jacket and arai helmet. I was launched and landed on my back and exploded my camelback. I see this jacket as a sort of barrier similar to what my camelback accomplished. I remember feeling the camelback take the blow and give out. I then proceeded to tumble and slide an additional 100'. I wore a hole through my jacket and elbow and shoulder amour. My skin in those areas didn't have a scratch. Wore a hole through my gloves, but retained all skin. My helmet took a hard hit and has a crack on the bottom.

I walked away with a bit of rash on my right knee, and a 3rd degree ankle sprain ( completely torn ligaments inside and outside of my left able)

I feel pretty lucky to have made out the way I did because of my gear....

If this product fell into my price range I would be more and willing to increase my odds next time.

post-5695-137029804653_thumb.jpg

post-5695-137029810811_thumb.jpg

Sad day....

Damn Bro, sorry for the accident, but glad you were wearing your gear, and able to write about it, now. A guy passed me on 295 a week ago wearing a tee shirt, shorts, sneakers and a novelty helmet. Something tells me he wasn't "scared"...way too stupid for that...

Damn Bro, sorry for the accident, but glad you were wearing your gear, and able to write about it, now. A guy passed me on 295 a week ago wearing a tee shirt, shorts, sneakers and a novelty helmet. Something tells me he wasn't "scared"...way too stupid for that...

See this all of the time.  I've learned that there are 2 types of riders: ones that have gone down, and ones that will go down.  Hopefully, I got my only crash out of the way 10 years go.  

As someone else pointed out, "Dress for the crash, not the ride"

Thanks man, I feel pretty lucky.

Besides the $1500 worth of trashed gear and a busted up bike..... I'm a happy camper.

I see idiots all summer wearing sandals, shorts and no shirt. Florida is bad..... Most aren't even wearing helmets...

Can't replace a life.

I only have my license, but I don't ride... not willing to get hit in NJ. =P

But, I would think the time to impact would heavily be determined by if you either highside or lowside off of the bike, and at what speed.

Airbags are used by skiiers and boarders all the time.  I am sure this will be the future for bikes, much like Helmets were.

I took a spill over the bars at 85mph may 23rd. Fortunately I had a full 2liter camelback on and my alpinestar jacket and arai helmet. I was launched and landed on my back and exploded my camelback. I see this jacket as a sort of barrier similar to what my camelback accomplished. I remember feeling the camelback take the blow and give out. I then proceeded to tumble and slide an additional 100'. I wore a hole through my jacket and elbow and shoulder amour. My skin in those areas didn't have a scratch. Wore a hole through my gloves, but retained all skin. My helmet took a hard hit and has a crack on the bottom.

I walked away with a bit of rash on my right knee, and a 3rd degree ankle sprain ( completely torn ligaments inside and outside of my left able)

I feel pretty lucky to have made out the way I did because of my gear....

If this product fell into my price range I would be more and willing to increase my odds next time.

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByTapatalk1370298331.343793.jpg

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByTapatalk1370298392.556858.jpg

Sad day....

sounds like you had an angel on your shoulders, can you give us the circumstances surrounding the crash, i think its a good learning experience for the rest of us riders