ryan_j

What's your choice for a HD shotgun and why?

Pistol grip with collapsible stock, pistol grip with no stock, fixed stock no pistol grip it all depends on what is most comfortable to you.

Some people don't like the 870 because the safety is hard to work in some positions from what I have heard. I believe the safety is on the top of the gun and if you have smaller hands makes it difficult to reach.

For HD I have a an 870P. I know the local PD by me has Mossbergs. Like Johnp said its all about preference, pump or SA? Once you determine that go to a few different stores and see what feels right for you.

Good suggestions so far.

What should a mossberg 590 run me?

I have no preference between pump and SA, but pump may be more intimidating to a potential intruder when he hears it.

PS Apologies for putting this in the wrong section. Mods, feel free to move.

16in carbine in 223/556... rail mounted light... slight so you can drop it down and use your hands if needed... a round of 223 is far less likely to cause damage in an overpenetration situation.... much less recoil for follow up shots if needed.... a small light fast carbine beats out the old school shotgun mindset every time IMO..

I like the Mossberg 500 for around $250-300 new...at least 2 years ago...

I like the slight warning a pump action gives an intruder the chance to run and live......I hate to kill a being....even a spider..but I will....especially at night in my dark house.

16in carbine in 223/556... rail mounted light... slight so you can drop it down and use your hands if needed... a round of 223 is far less likely to cause damage in an overpenetration situation.... much less recoil for follow up shots if needed.... a small light fast carbine beats out the old school shotgun mindset every time IMO..

Is the carbine legal in NJ?

Mossberg 590A1 18.5" ghost ring sights, Speedfeed stock.

If I had to do it over again, I'd consider a plain ol' 590 -- the heavier barrel of the A1 - I've read - was specified not so it won't get shot out after a bazillion rounds, but so won't be dented if it contacts a bulkhead when a Marine runs through a ship.

Which I have no plans to do. It is heavy.

Is the carbine legal in NJ?

Of course, as long as you follow all the rules. 16"barrel, pinned stock, pinned muzzle brake, 15rd max capacity mags, no bayonet lug.

Benelli Supernova, open rifle sights, fixed stock with pistol grip, Nordic +2(+3 with certain shells), generic shell holder on the stock, Olight M20 flashlight mounted under the magazine tube.

Always loaded up with some 00 buck, with a few spare shells on the stock...some 3 1/2" 00buck and some 2 3/4" slugs

I will eventually get a 590A1 and 870P and maybe a Nova to round out the collection....

Remiongton 870, the reasson is because it is what I have right now. I keep a slug barrel on if for HD and havd a 28" for shooting clays.

I talked to a dealer about this and he was trying to convince me that I needed three or four different guns, one for clay, one for HD/SD and one for hunting. I figured it was BS and I guess he was trying to drum up sales.

I talked to a dealer about this and he was trying to convince me that I needed three or four different guns, one for clay, one for HD/SD and one for hunting. I figured it was BS and I guess he was trying to drum up sales.

I have 2 barrels, 1 for slugs and 1 for clays or birds. All you really need is 2 barrels, unless you start competing in trap/skeet/sporting clays

This^

However, my shotgun is my secondary HD weapon just in case I need to arm someone else in my household. Winchester 1200, 26" barrel, front and rear beads, ATI collapsable stock, 10+1 magazine

Loaded with 2-3/4 foster slugs

Why slugs in the house?

Bad guys don't need chest cavities or heads lol.

Idk I load mine with homebrewed 12pellets of #1 buckshot with #8 buckshot as a buffer

Sent from my hidden under ground bunker between Taco Bell and the dry cleaner

I agree that a small fast carbine with a light is probably better than a shotgun, but if I had to use a shotgun it would be an 870 for the unbeatable reliability, or an fn slp or maybe a saiga 12 as double taps with 00buck is tuff to beat.

Of those 3, the 870 is the cheapest option by far, the easiest to learn to use etc. and there is an endless supply of aftermarket parts for the 870 so you can customize it to your liking with ease.

I agree that a small fast carbine with a light is probably better than a shotgun, but if I had to use a shotgun it would be an 870 for the unbeatable reliability, or an fn slp or maybe a saiga 12 as double taps with 00buck is tuff to beat.

Of those 3, the 870 is the cheapest option by far, the easiest to learn to use etc. and there is an endless supply of aftermarket parts for the 870 so you can customize it to your liking with ease.

I live in PA and have a Saiga 12 with a 12 round drum.... and I would STILL not grab that over a carbine..

shotgun is good if there is a random mob of zombies you are trying to repel I guess.. but besides that.. id honestly take an AR15 for anything self defense..