siderman

The other Sandy& generators

My new home came completely wired for back up generator which I was happy to find out during the home inspection from the current owner. All I have to do it get a conversion kit to run it off the 100 gallon propane take next to it.

hondas my front runner.. Also looked at the Subarus...for me the reduced noise and gas savings.. Along with the quality of the Honda engine is the reason I would spend the extra $$$...thanks for the info

Another option is a Honda EU2000. I just bought two of them. You can link two of them together and have a total of 4000 watts peek. Each one can run up to 9 hours on just over a gallon of gas. You can shut one down at night, or run both at the same time if you need more power. They also make a 6 gallon external fuel tank for them. The only downside to the EU2000's is you can only get 120 volt. If you have any 240v circuits your can't run them. Check out wisesales.com. so far I've bought two generators from them. Lots of very good info and reviews on that page.

I have a Generac 7550 EXL electric start in excellent shape that took me through Sandy. New oil, oil and air filters and valves checked/adjusted after Sandy. Starts every time and has a peak surge output of 13500 watts. I bought it for about $1200 and will sell it for $600 to any member that has made at least one visit to Trenton for the rally or committee meetings.

I will list it for sale next week @$750

I could see where installation of the transfer switch and associated wiring would run up the cost...but the Generac GP 6500 itself is only $800 on Amazon. The higher end XG6500 is a little over $1000. You can buy a transfer switch for $300-$400 and install it yourself (I do recommend pulling a permit, since you're working on the panel, but a look at the Reliance Controls website will take you to videos showing how to install).

I have a HONDA 6500. Totally different beast from the Generac. And yes it's 3700 for the generator alone.

My transfer switch was about 800. No permit required since it is installed at the meter base by the utility.

I have a HONDA 6500. Totally different beast from the Generac. And yes it's 3700 for the generator alone.

My transfer switch was about 800. No permit required since it is installed at the meter base by the utility.

Ah--I misread. Yep, the Honda is an absolutely primo generator.

Nice Ryan. I wanted the meter base transfer switch but for me in ocean county its not approved by my power company so I went with the interlock kit.

I have used a Honda 3000IS for the last 7-8 years. Had been planning on a whole house for several years and had just started the process when Sandy hit.

Went with a Milbank 15K NG unit. Ratings leave a bit to be desired. My 15K rating is on propane, is 14K on NG. Some of the Generac's I looked at were up to 2K less on NG.

I already had a sub panel so I went with a transfer switch for that.

Permits were a big expense, almost $300 - no wonder people do work without permits. Plus my town requires me to landscape around the generator so my neighbors can't see it. Must be evergreens and at least the height of the genny.

The convenience is great, but with all the hassles with permits, inspections and the added cost for landscaping, I think if I had to do it again I would still use a full service transfer switch but use a portable genny like the Honda 6500. Gas piping from above ground through the structure and under ground requires some expensive transitions. My gas line and meter had to be updated (no charge for that).

I'm sure if we ever get another 14 day power failure I will appreciate not having to fill a gas tank again. And even if we only loose it for a day or 2-3 in the middle of the winter with a foot of snow on the ground I will really appreciate it.

BTW, I still have this transfer switch avaible.

http://njgunforums.com/forum/index.php/topic/46861-wtt-generator-transfer-switch-panel-with-breakers/page__hl__%2Btransfer+%2Bswitch__fromsearch__1

I did nearly the exact same thing as the OP. Piped NG off my main line to a lockable valve outside. Connects to my converted tri-fuel Subaru 5.2KW (US Carb kit) portable Gen via a 20Ft 3/4 rubber gas hose and quick-disconnects. 30 amp gen cord to outlet on the side of the house, backfeeding my panel via a 30am breaker and interlock kit.

I have a whole home power meter by Current Cost. My entire house rarely gets above 2KW at any one time, unless we turn on the electric clothes dryer or oven (both of which we would not use during an outage). Those are really the only sacrifices we would have to make when running off of the gen.

We have a 10KW gasoline generator. We wired up an outlet in our garage that we can back feed into.

Eventually I want to get a more powerful NG unit with an automatic transfer switch installed here. Power around here isn't reliable enough to not have a generator.

Surprisingly, we didn't lose power during Sandy, rather 3 days after when a car hit a pole nearby.

We have a 10KW gasoline generator. We wired up an outlet in our garage that we can back feed into.

Eventually I want to get a more powerful NG unit with an automatic transfer switch installed here. Power around here isn't reliable enough to not have a generator.

Surprisingly, we didn't lose power during Sandy, rather 3 days after when a car hit a pole nearby.

You don't ever use an outlet to backfed your generator. Use an inlet and an interlock. Not killing linemen is always a good thing.

I did nearly the exact same thing as the OP. Piped NG off my main line to a lockable valve outside. Connects to my converted tri-fuel Subaru 5.2KW (US Carb kit) portable Gen via a 20Ft 3/4 rubber gas hose and quick-disconnects. 30 amp gen cord to outlet on the side of the house, backfeeding my panel via a 30am breaker and interlock kit.

I have a whole home power meter by Current Cost. My entire house rarely gets above 2KW at any one time, unless we turn on the electric clothes dryer or oven (both of which we would not use during an outage). Those are really the only sacrifices we would have to make when running off of the gen.

If you have central air you can't use that either. The surge current is way too much.

You don't ever use an outlet to backfed your generator. Use an inlet and an interlock. Not killing linemen is always a good thing.

I agree that the safest way is to have an interlock, but if you are careful to kill the main before doing anything else it is safe. You just need to be very meticulus.

I agree that the safest way is to have an interlock, but if you are careful to kill the main before doing anything else it is safe. You just need to be very meticulous.

The first of several house fires we responded to during the Sandy aftermath was a "properly" back fed portable generator that the homeowner installed.

We "know" it was a properly installed connection because the home owner was an electrical engineer and told us so!

We also found 2 near empty, 1 full 5 gallon gas cans, properly secured from theft in the back of his attached garage (bi-level, so bedrooms over the garage).

Best thing about his gas cans is they were conveniently located next to the inside access door, which was right across the hall from the interior stairs.

Those that are not fire fighters should know that the interior stairs in a residential structure is the typical path of fire to the bedrooms..

Since we are on a use of a portable generator thread I have to add that the first "check on the welfare of a resident" call was to a resident who had his portable genny in the breezeway between the garage and house. That was one of the CO deaths attributed to the storm.

if you are careful to kill the main before doing anything else it is safe.

It is not safe - period.

For the firefighters on the forum. Something new to us at the above fire. In a search for the electrical panel (to shut down the power) I entered the garage from the interior door, which is where i found the 3 gas cans mentioned above. Found a garage door opener switch and opened the door. Made my way though all the stuff to find the panel. Made note of which breakers were tripped or off and killed the power then walked outside to notify the IC and get a pike to jam the door open.

Soon as I exited the garage the door closed - WTF. If you have ever seen the video of the FF's in the garage as the door comes down and the resulting chaos you know this is a WTF moment.

This was a new garage door installation and it built in battery backups are now optional. This unit automatically closed the door after a brief no power.

The first of several house fires we responded to during the Sandy aftermath was a "properly" back fed portable generator that the homeowner installed.

We "know" it was a properly installed connection because the home owner was an electrical engineer and told us so!

We also found 2 near empty, 1 full 5 gallon gas cans, properly secured from theft in the back of his attached garage (bi-level, so bedrooms over the garage).

Best thing about his gas cans is they were conveniently located next to the inside access door, which was right across the hall from the interior stairs.

Those that are not fire fighters should know that the interior stairs in a residential structure is the typical path of fire to the bedrooms..

Since we are on a use of a portable generator thread I have to add that the first "check on the welfare of a resident" call was to a resident who had his portable genny in the breezeway between the garage and house. That was one of the CO deaths attributed to the storm.

It is not safe - period.

What really surprised me was with the amount of first time generator users in NJ and NY more people weren't killed. I saw people selling generators out of trailers in empty parking lots. It was unreal. Also the gas storage issue you brought up. I can't believe the amount of people who think its Okay to run a small generator or a gas grill inside there garage. Also the many suicide cords that were used.

What was the cause of the fire? Was it directly related to the generator or the homeowner's gas-storage techniques

What was the cause of the fire? Was it directly related to the generator or the homeowner's gas-storage techniques

Generator

Incorrectly back fed panel and missing ground. 2 shorts were found, apparently simultaneous. One was the cans from high hats in a bedroom and the second was a wall outlet.

The storage of the gas cans were just a "look what else we found" issue.

I should have clarified, what I called an outlet is actually an inlet. We have two main breakers that we shut off prior to backfeeding from the generator. One is on the main panel, the other is at the meter box which has a provision for using a pad lock to keep it shut off.

If you have central air you can't use that either. The surge current is way too much.

Correct, forgot to list that. We would not use the central A/C. Heat works fine though.

Correct, forgot to list that. We would not use the central A/C. Heat works fine though.

It is worth noting that with some heating systems the furnace blower may not start with a small generator. I would recommend at least a 5500w unit if you have forced air heat.

Here is my thoughts, If you didn't get a generator after Irene, or Sandy, you should get one now ! How much warning do you need!

Very true. I would also recommend preparing for extended times without fuel, at least 3 days. When power goes out many gas stations do not pump. Storms disrupt the fuel supply chain like it did with sandy too. If you have natural gas consider a quick disconnect like they use for BBQ grills and and a conversion kit for your generator. Otherwise get 4 or 5 Jerry cans and fill them up with fuel and put marine stabil in it. That will help with the moisture from ethanol. Use it out in your car once a year or so and fill fresh gas.

I ran on a big portable during Sandy for seven days, feeding my house and some of my next door neighbor's stuff. I decided that scrounging for gas and being the only one in the house to tend it might be too much as I get older, so I went for a whole house natural gas unit.

Now we will never loose power again :icon_mrgreen: :icon_mrgreen: :icon_mrgreen:

unless for whatever reason they shut off gas service. ;)