voyager9

Trenton man holds off intruder

Over 30 minute response time for Trenton PD. buy NJ citizens don't need anything for home defense.

http://www.nj.com/mercer/index.ssf/2013/05/trenton_man_says_he_held_off_i.html

Note: this sounds like the dispatcher/call taker didn't triage the call correctly..still 30 min is a long time to be on your own.

This guy has an intruder and they tell him to call the non-emergency number?

And he would have no recourse if he suffered harm--SCOTUS has ruled that police have no duty to protect.

This is why individual responsibility in protection and the right to self defense is critical. It is a basic human right, and while we have delegated the activity to LE, the right belongs to the individual.

He has a web page. http://livingonthene...-trenton-anyway

It says, "I’ve been robbed three times and we’ve had murders on our block." He says he has a Harvard MBA. He sounds like a liberal who is shocked and amazed to experience the end results of ... decades of liberalism.

I was born, raised, and graduated from High School in Trenton. I moved out in 1982. The city was a lost cause back then.

Yeah, good luck with the baseball bat....

(* Listening to the tape, his wife didn't seem awfully excited about a drunken individual assaulting her husband and forcing his way into their apartment.)

Take it easy they had to take a break after a long dinner and a couple of cigarettes on the sidewalk.

Not trying to justify their response time but you have to realize that due to budget cuts and reductions in headcount, at times there may be only 4-6 police officers patrolling the entire city of Trenton. And from what I was told shootings and killings in general take priority so many crimes are triaged, to the point where a breaking and entering or robbery may not even be handled in the same day.

So, in cities like this there is no way for police to protect or even show a reasonable presence within a reasonable amount of time. I am sure Camden is as bad or even worse

Trenton pd has come out and said the dispatchers response was appropriate. The man in the building was determined to be a 'disorderly person' and not a 'crime in progress'

I'm sure it didn't feel that way to the building owner who had to tangle with him.

something doesn't match up between the pictures of Dan Dodson and that other website...can't quite put my finger on it.

Maybe it's the picture of the little african american baby.

Oh nevermind:

"Along with two other couples, Michelle and I co-host one of Trenton’s biggest annual private parties. With another interracial couple (BTW – I’m white and Michelle is black) we host Trenton’s annual Loving Day cookout commemorating the 1967 Supreme Court Case: Loving v. Commonwealth of Virginia which legalized interracial marriage in the US."

http://www.nj.com/mercer/index.ssf/2013/05/trenton_police_response_to_hom.html

Dan Dodson told the Hudson County Democrat that a drunk and belligerent man walked into the entrance of his apartment building on the 300 block of South Broad Street Sunday night. Dodson says he began to scuffle with the man as his wife called 911. According to Dodson, the operator told his wife to call the non-emergency number and to call them back if the situation got worse.

http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/local/Trenton-Man-Who-Fought-Intruder-Says-Police-Took-Too-Long-to-Arrive-206516411.html

Curious -- I think there are still two newspapers in Trenton -- the Trenton Times and the Trentonian. (It's been a while, so I don't know for sure.) Why did the Hudson County Democrat pick up this story? (I'm  taking a wild guess that Trenton Times and Trentonian reporters have his calls blocked by now.) It also might be advisable to review New Jersey law regarding self defense before he uses a baseball bat on a drunk in a public area of his apartment building.

image.jpg

http://newjersey.news12.com/news/trenton-homeowner-dan-dodson-says-police-response-too-slow-when-an-intruder-entered-his-home-1.5218872

Sadly, this is why you are stuck.  Unarmed drunk guy wanders in or breaks in, you can't shoot him without being sued.  You take him out with a bat, you are sued.  You are supposed to wait for the cops, and they don't have the manpower to come.  So you are supposed to ask the intruder nicely to please leave.

May be he should have just tried that old joke. Hang up wait a munute than call back and say "I just called about an intruder, just calling back to say don't worry about it I shot him and hang up." Police get there real fast than when the ask "I thought you shot him" he could reply "I thought you said no one was currently availiable."

Sadly, this is why you are stuck.  Unarmed drunk guy wanders in or breaks in, you can't shoot him without being sued.  You take him out with a bat, you are sued.  You are supposed to wait for the cops, and they don't have the manpower to come.  So you are supposed to ask the intruder nicely to please leave.

That sounds about right. It's ridiculous how this society works now.