Pizza Bob

Latest Addition to the PB Stable

I have written about this gun in the past - but that was before I took actual possession of it. Without further adieu, here it is...

o86xs3.jpg

It is a S&W 586-4 with some rather unique features. It is chambered for .38 Special only and is so rollmarked on the barrel. The barrel is 4 1/8" long rather than the standard 4". I believe that this was part of a canceled Brazilian contract of 250 guns (this is not the contract mentioned in the "Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson") as the serial number falls within that range - but those guns appear to have been square butts, whereas this one is a round butt. Kind of a mystery gun. I intend to use it for IDPA. I shot it at Somerset this past weekend and it ran flawlessly - wish I could say the same for myself.

Here it is with the other two revolvers I use for USPSA and IDPA

fc3byo.jpg

Top to bottom are my 625-8 PC (.45 ACP/AR), my 646 (.40 S&W) and the 586-4 (.38 Spl). And no it's not an optical illusion - the barrel length of the 646 is also non-standard at 3 7/8", which causes a real visual contrast between the 646 and the 586.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Smith and Wesson DROOL!  That's what you cause by posting this Bob, lol!  Nuthin' but Smith and Wesson DROOL, lol!

Luv it!

And for everybody else, I held that odd-ball .38 contract gun in my own two hands on Sunday!  NICE and sweet!

MORE DROOL!

LOL!

@BigHungry - Just means that you haven't shot enough revolvers to truly appreciate them.

@CMJeepster - Don't worry about it - it's yours gratis - but I'd think about exercising that 686 at an IDPA match in the not too distant future.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

@CMJeepster - Don't worry about it - it's yours gratis - but I'd think about exercising that 686 at an IDPA match in the not too distant future.

One of these days. I want to see what it's all about before I get involved. That and get some more ammo...

One of these days. I want to see what it's all about before I get involved. That and get some more ammo...

Jamie, you gotta dive right in. The majority of people that go for a look/see first, generally express that they wish they had just shot. Start with IDPA (less equipment needed - you already have a holster, LOL) at a small match like Somerset (low round count - generally <65). You'll have a ball.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Nice piece there PB. I'll look to see that in person.

CMJeepster: Do as Bob says; just dive right in. I did last Sunday at Somerset. No regrets at all!!! But do view some IDPA videos first. Preferably the IDPA membership DVD that goes through everything. That lightens the brain load a lot at the first live match. And PB's a good coach.

Was going to go as a tourist first. Glad I didn't!

@Iaabci - They are all wearing Hogue Big Butt grips. I wanted to try them without finger grooves, so got those for the 586.

@Socom - Not a PC version. The PC versions were made in 2000 (appx 400) and featured slab-sided 4" barrels. The regular production ones, although shipped in PC cases, were just done on the line in 2003, in a standard L-frame configuration of a round profile barrel with a full underlug. Appx 300 of the regular ones were made. S&W never lets anything go to waste and it is suspected they discovered the leftover titanium .40 cal cylinders in 2003 and did the final run to use them up.

Adios,

Pizza Bob