anactivegrenade

What language would you learn?

Just a quick little survey, guys. Pretty much unrelated to guns, but I digress.

What language would you pick up from scratch and learn, and why?

For me, I'm considering learning Czech. I'm Polish and I have a slight recognition of the language, so I feel like Czech would come a little more easily to me due to the resemblance between the two languages . I've always wanted to visit Prague - to me, Prague is what I envision when I think of Europe. Also, the Czechs love their guns...

:hunter:

I'm not totally decided on Czech, but I'm also considering other Germanic, Slavic, or Nordic languages (my mother tongue of Polish, Russian, Slovak, German, Norwegian, or Swedish).

한국어.

I've been studying Korean on my own occasionally for the past year. I'm not doing very well. Learning hangul was about a million times easier than actually learning Korean...

Estudié Español en la escuela secondaria (seis años), pues...y yo sé una palabra o dos, pero no entiendo...no comprendo cuando una otra persona habla. Tambien, no sé si esta frase tiene sentido...

日本語.

I also have been trying to pick up on some Japanese. Also with little success, but also haven't given it any real dedication...

I really want to learn Portuguese, polish and Chinese. 

As if my 4 languages that im fluent in is NOT enough.

Which four? I'm already jealous.

When asked what superpower I want to have, I usually go with the superpower of knowing and being able to speak every language.

I really want to learn Portuguese, polish and Chinese. 

As if my 4 languages that im fluent in is NOT enough. 

You've got my attention, LOL! Which languages?

I would learn computer code. It's a language too damnit! :)

Hell, they sure are! Hard as hell, I might add. I tried Javascript (not a legit language, but still) and only got down a few basics.

Unlike Jersey, you can carry in the Czech Republic, and you can also own machineguns there, and the crime rate is way, way lower than jersey. So I agree with learning Czech.

I corrected that for you, lol. But you think so? It's more of a fantasy to live in the Czech Republic, cause when the F would that ever happen, you know? And who the F speaks Czech here? But hey, you never know...

At times, I almost feel obligated to learn Polish, hahaha.

I corrected that for you, lol. But you think so? It's more of a fantasy to live in the Czech Republic, cause when the F would that ever happen, you know? And who the F speaks Czech here? But hey, you never know...

At times, I almost feel obligated to learn Polish, hahaha.

The OP said he was learning Czech. So that would be "who the F."

And, yes, you showed my age with your correction. ;)

Who? I would suggest the OP live there, since he can carry and he can own machineguns, and there is almost no crime, and he wants to learn Czech anyway :)

The OP said he was learning Czech. So that would be "who the F."

And, yes, you showed my age with your correction. ;)

Who? I would suggest the OP live there, since he can carry and he can own machineguns, and there is almost no crime, and he wants to learn Czech anyway :)

Well, as OP, I am obligated to take your suggestions to heart ;-) hahaha. As a youngin', it took me a high school history class to learn the difference between the Czech Republic, Slovakia, and Czechoslovakia!

When asked what superpower I want to have, I usually go with the superpower of knowing and being able to speak every language.

Barrack is that you?

I speak just enough Kitchen Spanish,Portuguese,Norwegian,Caribbean patios,French and Italian to get by.......I would like to learn Mandarin and Cantonese.

Japanese.

I love the culture and the country.

I can speak very little, and I have half learned the kanas--at least I can read them--and maybe a couple hundred kanjis.  But I would love to be able to speak, read AND write fluently.  I do not think the language itself is too difficult, but learning all the characters, learning to write them correctly, and really understanding the nuances of the culture and communication.

I would also like to become more fluent in Spanish--I know enough to totally mangle what I want to say and be misunderstood.  And, like Bonesium, I know a lot of words, but I have a hard time understanding most native speakers, although I can usually follow a non-native speaker because they tend to talk a bit slower and enunciate better.

한국어.

I've been studying Korean on my own occasionally for the past year. I'm not doing very well. Learning hangul was about a million times easier than actually learning Korean...

Estudié Español en la escuela secondaria (seis años), pues...y yo sé una palabra o dos, pero no entiendo...no comprendo cuando una otra persona habla. Tambien, no sé si esta frase tiene sentido...

日本語.

I also have been trying to pick up on some Japanese. Also with little success, but also haven't given it any real dedication...

Which four? I'm already jealous.

Bonesinium, are you Korean-American? I'm not, but I've been to Korea several times and learned Hangul by correlating the Hangul on the street signs with the latin letters. It's easy, and every trip to a Korean restaurant becomes a linguistic adventure. My wife loves K drama, so I'm teaching her Hangul and got her Korean language tapes from the library.

If I had a language wish, my first would be to speak perfect Japanese. My Japanese sucks, although it will get better, because I'm going there in two weeks and staying a month.

My second wish would be to speak better Spanish. Probably the most important second language in this country.

If I had a third, I'd like to learn Chinese. I learned some from Pimsler, but I found it hard to continue without a native speaker, because I'd think I'm saying something right, and then I'd get blank stares because my tones were all wrong. 

Knowing a little Japanese, Korean, and Chinese is interesting, because if you know characters, you can make a lot of correlations between the words. e.g, "Shinsegae" (the department store) = Shinsekai in Japanese. Annae = Annai, etc. 

I love Japanese and speak it decently from living there briefly and visiting when ever I can. Though my reading need lots of work. Hiragana and Katagana no problem but kanji I need to lean more characters.

Leaned Spanish in highschool but was not really interested in it. However it has been useful over the years.

I do know a little mandrian from visiting my friend in shanghai over the years. Only enough to get my self around and piss off cab driver. The tones are such a pain. Not to mention local dialects.

Spanish to make myself more market-able. I speak passable Italian, but would love to become legitimately fluent. And then I'd pick up Arabic or Farsi or something like that so I could join the CIA and become the next Jack Bauer.

Spanish to make myself more market-able. I speak passable Italian, but would love to become legitimately fluent. And then I'd pick up Arabic or Farsi or something like that so I could join the CIA and become the next Jack Bauer.

Farsi is a beautiful language. One of my long term goals is to visit Iran