shooooot

S&W 22A ... a good idea?

I'm going to be in the market for a .22 pistol, primary use basic target shooting/range

I like the looks of the S&W 22A, fits my hand good, and I shot it once as a rental, and my other 2 guns are S&W, so I was leaning towards the 22A... but I've read some really negative reviews about the 22A having a lot of 'failure to fire' and 'failure to eject' and other reliability problems.  I did experience this problem with the rental at the range but they blamed it on the gun being really old/used and not being clean... they swapped it out with a TINY Walther for the rest of my hour at the range, which I had the same exact problems with unfortunately.

I've also read some articles saying that ALL .22 pistols are susceptible to that, and the they are very picky on the type of ammo used.

I'm a fairly new shooter and could use advice on this... I just want something I can actually use and not have to fiddle with every time I use it... and with the lack of availability of ammo now, its hard to be picky.. just have to use what you can find pretty much it seems.

Are there any other guns similar to the 22A that are proven to be more reliable in the same price range? (I see 22A's on gunbroker for $280 to $320)

Also how big a difference is the feeling between a 5.5" barrel and 7" in the 22A?  I used the 5.5" and was fairly accurate (when it fired).

I can't speak for he S&W but I just got a Buckmark and I love it. Super accurate and feels great in my hand. Also mags are sold everywhere

Local shop has an older used one for sale in mint condition for $375. Almost bought another but saving my permits for revolvers.

We'd be remiss if we didn't mention the most ubiquitous .22 semi-auto in the US - the Ruger Standard or Mark series.So many variations that there is literally something for everyone. Yes, they are a little tricky to take down and reassemble, but that can be remedied with either experience or the fitment of an aftermarket kit making the task easy.

Barrel length has little affect on actual accuracy, but practical accuracy is usually enhanced by longer barrels. It's not the barrel, it is the increased sight radius that creates the enhancement. Handling characteristics may also dictate what barrel length works best for you - how does it balance? What can I hold steadier? Etc, etc.

HTH

Adios,

Pizza Bob

S&W 22A is a nice pistol.  Mine likes most ammo I have fed it, except ultra-high velocity ammo (1400+fps).  It seems to like Golden Bullets most of all, strangely enough...

I've had a few stovepipes, but this is generally from my use of the ultra-high FPS ammo.  I've never had a significant amount of failure to fires - nothing out of the ordinary - no greater an amount in the 22A than my other .22s using the same ammo.  FTEs are not an issue I have had with mine.  I purchased mine in September/October of last year, has about 1500 rounds through it so far.

I like that you can switch out the barrel with ease - I am on the hunt for a 7" barrel - I got the heavy 5.5" with wood laminate grips, but had wanted the 7" with those grips.  You can also get the 4" - though I hate how it looks with that tiny barrel. 

Two minor issues to mention - takedown button likes to stick on mine...forcing me to push it against a wood table to get the button to move some days...  And when you remove the barrel, make sure you don't angle it up any more than is required... 

Mag release is in an interesting position that's different from my other pistols, and takes some getting used to...but I don't mind that.  Might be easier to hit with the smaller plastic grips some guns come with, I dunno...

22a_1_sm.jpg

We have a 22A, I think it is a fugly gun, but my wife uses it and she loves it, ugly or not. I have a Buckmark, very nice looking and works 100% (so does the 22A). Also have a Sig 1911-22 (GSG makes it) which is a very nice gun too, but tends to be pickier on ammo selection.

The 22 a is a good gun have to keep it very clean.. i have one with 6 in barrel wish it was shorter as the long barrel is front heavy..

Also have the ruger 22/45 lite which is awsome but the mags are hard to get out of it because of the mag safety device, i have purchased the parts to delete the mag safety which will correct the problem..

also have a smith 2213 3 inch barrel i like this gun it just works and is very accurate older model they make 4 or 5 models of this pistol over the last 25 years..

S&W 22A-1  at first hated on the FTF and light firing pin strikes.

Ok that bieng said LOVE it now.

Polished frame rails a little.  Mating surface on slide and frame are smoothed without removing anything but gritty surface.  Polished feed ramp as with everything I own.  Still had issue with light firing pin strikes

Took out the firing pin and removed a hair i mean a hair off the slot that faces toward the rear of the slide.  When I removed it first you could see that the firing "pin" stamped piece was slamming on the roll pin.  After modification Ha Never had an issue again.  3 Magazines power feed no problem.

I am not saying to do this.... Now over 5000 + rounds and loves all ammo.

If you look at the spent brass you will see in a handful how light some strikes are and also see the maximum depth of the firing pin strike.  

Mine were all very light before loving on it.

Keep it clean and lubricate with light lubricant.  To much lube will cause gunk.  Slip 2000 seems to be great a drop or two on cue tip and swipe slide and frame contact points....that is it.

So for all who have one and hate it and cant "love" on it.  Sell it so i can buy another one cheap and fire with two hands full.

Shoooot,

I bought the plain jane 7" 22a as my first new gun purchase in 2010. 7" was kinda longish. I would go for 5" if doing it over again.

It was a fine pistol that was very reliable once broken in. I broke it in with Mini-Mags, and then used Federal or CCI bulk ammo.

I loved how easy it was to field strip and clean. I would have kept it, but I made the mistake of fondling the Browning Buckmark. As good a shooter as the 22a was, it felt kinda cheap. The buckmark is waaay better feeling in hand. Just compare the safety and slide release buttons. Smith is thin, stamped steel, the buckmark is chunky levers that feel very sturdy. Wood grips for Browning are easy to find; for 22a, not so much. I tried a set of Altamonts for the 22a, but they were even chunkier than the standard plastic grips. 

I would say go for it if you prefer it over the others. But do yourself a favor. Look at the Browning.

S&W 22A is a nice pistol.  Mine likes most ammo I have fed it, except ultra-high velocity ammo (1400+fps).  It seems to like Golden Bullets most of all, strangely enough...

I've had a few stovepipes, but this is generally from my use of the ultra-high FPS ammo.  I've never had a significant amount of failure to fires - nothing out of the ordinary - no greater an amount in the 22A than my other .22s using the same ammo.  FTEs are not an issue I have had with mine.  I purchased mine in September/October of last year, has about 1500 rounds through it so far.

I like that you can switch out the barrel with ease - I am on the hunt for a 7" barrel - I got the heavy 5.5" with wood laminate grips, but had wanted the 7" with those grips.  You can also get the 4" - though I hate how it looks with that tiny barrel. 

Two minor issues to mention - takedown button likes to stick on mine...forcing me to push it against a wood table to get the button to move some days...  And when you remove the barrel, make sure you don't angle it up any more than is required... 

Mag release is in an interesting position that's different from my other pistols, and takes some getting used to...but I don't mind that.  Might be easier to hit with the smaller plastic grips some guns come with, I dunno...

22a_1_sm.jpg

I just got one of these in stock. The grips a bit large :) but its really nice!