gfl216

What's The Deal With The Glock 19 Gen 4

Im thinking about buying a Glock 19 Gen 4, but depending on who you talk to Im not sure if I should. I have a friend that bought a gen 4 and loves it and I have talked to people that have one and also love it. I have also talked to some people who hate their gen 4. Most of the complaints are failure to eject or shells ejecting in your face. I have also read that there is a problem with the guide rod spring. Any info is appreciated.

Im thinking about buying a Glock 19 Gen 4, but depending on who you talk to Im not sure if I should. I have a friend that bought a gen 4 and loves it and I have talked to people that have one and also love it. I have also talked to some people who hate their gen 4. Most of the complaints are failure to eject or shells ejecting in your face. I have also read that there is a problem with the guide rod spring. Any info is appreciated.

They were recalled for that issue and all new Glocks are fixed.  That is the most popular handgun in the US.  Good luck finding one.

I love mine, the only issues I ever had was with a newbie that never handled a firearm of any kind. He had stovepipes and double feeds because of serious limp wristing. I have NEVER experienced ANY issue with my g19, other than those. He almost sheared off his thumb, he knew better than me an wanted to be "comfortable with his grip".

Appearance wise the glock is pretty simple looking and some think just plain ugly. They do not have all the bells and whistles some other nines have.

Mechanically the glock is near flawless and hard to beat.

I did hear from a shop owner that some of the older glocks were having issues with the frames cracking. I would guess this is the higher caliber models.

He could be a glock hater. Lol.

The jury's still out on whether the extraction issues on the 9mm Glocks are fixed. It seems that there are less problems from the guns today, but if you follow posts on other forums such as m4carbine.net, people with recently manufactured Gen4's are still having some extraction issues.

The good news though, is that the Apex FRE extractor seems like a pretty reliable fix if you happen to get a pistol with weird extraction patterns. Unfortunately, this means another $60 you'd have to shell out just to make a gun run normal.

The jury's still out on whether the extraction issues on the 9mm Glocks are fixed. It seems that there are less problems from the guns today, but if you follow posts on other forums such as m4carbine.net, people with recently manufactured Gen4's are still having some extraction issues.

The good news though, is that the Apex FRE extractor seems like a pretty reliable fix if you happen to get a pistol with weird extraction patterns. Unfortunately, this means another $60 you'd have to shell out just to make a gun run normal.

I call BS....G19 Gen4's are fine.

I call BS....G19 Gen4's are fine.

I hope you're right about samples made this year. But I have personally witnessed 2 Gen 4's stovepiping in a class last year. And the instructor (who is well known) said that's been consistent with what he's observed in other classes.

I do want a Gen 4 as my next Glock, so I sincerely hope the ejection problems have been put to rest this year.

Don't listen to the naysayers

New production g19 gen 4= flawless

In the unlikely event something was wrong with your pistol, glock CS is outstanding.

I've owned a gen 4 g19, and dealt with glock CS, (unrelated to gen4 issues)

so this Is based on personal experience.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

Go for it...Like PK said its one of the most used and popular guns in the world...any issues Glock would be fixing them ASAP...Glock's not going to  sacrifice their reputation by not addressing an issue..not only with civilian users but with the 60% + of LE that use them...I have 3 Glocks...two of them are 19's...buy with confidence

Don't listen to the naysayers

New production g19 gen 4= flawless

What do you base this on? Sorry, but to say this as an absolute fact is pretty ignorant. There are quite a few people on various forums reporting extraction issues with Gen 4's after they were released. Very reputable instructors also have stated similar findings. And my limited experience from witnessing Gen 4's (probably still larger than some internet commandos who base their statements on their own sample of 1) already revealed 2 specimens in the same class having extraction problems.

This is not to say that Glock hasn't addressed the problem recently, and it sounds like things have gotten better. However, one shooter I know who has a somewhat recent Gen4 still had extraction issues with his sample.

Apex has started making an extractor that helps with this issue in 9mm Glocks, both Gen3 and Gen4:

https://apextactical.com/store/product-list.php?pg1-cid22.html

All Glocks have typically weak ejection and they rely heavily on the magazine spring to assist in this part of the firing cycle.

Next time you are at the range, try this. Fire a few rounds normally and note where the empty brass lands. Then load one round and remove the mag (NOTE: Glocks are controlled feed pistols. Do not load a single round into the chamber and send the slide home requiring the extractor to jump the case rim. This can induce a malfunction or damage the extractor). When you fire that one round without the magazine in place note what the empty and freshly extracted case does. I will bet money that it either drops straight down the magwell to land directly at your feet or trickles out of the ejection port and falls straight down to the ground at your feet.

Apex has started making an extractor that helps with this issue in 9mm Glocks, both Gen3 and Gen4:

https://apextactical.com/store/product-list.php?pg1-cid22.html

All Glocks have typically weak ejection and they rely heavily on the magazine spring to assist in this part of the firing cycle.

Next time you are at the range, try this. Fire a few rounds normally and note where the empty brass lands. Then load one round and remove the mag (NOTE: Glocks are controlled feed pistols. Do not load a single round into the chamber and send the slide home requiring the extractor to jump the case rim. This can induce a malfunction or damage the extractor). When you fire that one round without the magazine in place note what the empty and freshly extracted case does. I will bet money that it either drops straight down the magwell to land directly at your feet or trickles out of the ejection port and falls straight down to the ground at your feet.

Ding ding ding!

This is known as the 10-8 1911 extract test I believe. It shows when there is inadequate tension in an extractor, and that the gun was reliant on the magazine for support for the casing about to be ejected.

My Gen3 G19 failed this test, with most rounds going down the mag well. The good news is, after I installed the Apex FRE Gen3 extractor, I was getting much more positive extraction, and it passed the 10-8 extraction test.

What do you base this on? Sorry, but to say this as an absolute fact is pretty ignorant. There are quite a few people on various forums reporting extraction issues with Gen 4's after they were released. Very reputable instructors also have stated similar findings. And my limited experience from witnessing Gen 4's (probably still larger than some internet commandos who base their statements on their own sample of 1) already revealed 2 specimens in the same class having extraction problems.This is not to say that Glock hasn't addressed the problem recently, and it sounds like things have gotten better. However, one shooter I know who has a somewhat recent Gen4 still had extraction issues with his sample.

What do you base this on? Sorry, but to say this as an absolute fact is pretty ignorant. There are quite a few people on various forums reporting extraction issues with Gen 4's after they were released. Very reputable instructors also have stated similar findings. And my limited experience from witnessing Gen 4's (probably still larger than some internet commandos who base their statements on their own sample of 1) already revealed 2 specimens in the same class having extraction problems.This is not to say that Glock hasn't addressed the problem recently, and it sounds like things have gotten better. However, one shooter I know who has a somewhat recent Gen4 still had extraction issues with his sample.
Um, pretty sure I said, clearly it was based on my experience.So to reiterate, since you seem to have comprehension issues...my experience has been 100% flawless, NOT ignorance, personal experience.Maybe instead getting your panties in a bunch every time someone says something good about glock, and acting like a tool, accept that every firearm has strengths and weaknesses.

Um, pretty sure I said, clearly it was based on my experience. So to reiterate, since you seem to have comprehension issues...my experience has been 100% flawless, but I suppose since you saw 2 stovepipes, and heard an instructor at the range-you're an authority on the subject? NOT ignorance, personal experience. Maybe instead getting your panties in a bunch every time someone says something good about glock, and acting like a tool, accept that every firearm has strengths and weaknesses.

You clearly said "Don't listen to the naysayers New production g19 gen 4= flawless". This is something one would say if they have personal experience with a number of samples, or at least have a credible source. Now you admit you made this statement based on your personal experience of one sample? Hahahaha

The 2 stovepipes I witnessed are worth twice more than your single datapoint of your own pistol. Not to mention, the instructor at the range who recommends people find an older Gen 3 instead of any newer Glock happens to be none other than Larry Vickers. Oh sorry, I forgot to mention earlier, make that 2 instructors that have stated the same thing. Ken Hackathorn also told us this at another class I was at.

I've been the one, as a Glock fan, pointing out the realities that yes, all guns have strength and weaknesses, and there you are saying that those who point out flaws in Glocks are naysayers. And by your own admission, you make the bold statement that myself and others are naysayers based on your experience of 1 sample. Sorry, I'm not the one getting my panties in a bunch, cause I'm the one who can accept that my guns may not be perfect, and am prepared to deal with it.

Who's the tool now huh?

You are.

Folks who call other folks mean names cause they can't be bothered to read an entire post are tools.

Now,

Lets be 100% clear here.

I wrote that my experience has been 100%,

My experience.

I certainly did not intend to suggest that every glock pistol ever made will be 100%, because that would, indeed be ignorant.

The OP asked for experiences, you have yours, I have mine

I carry Glocks. I like Glocks. I recommend Glocks to friends, family, new shooters, and experienced shooters alike. I feel that they are simple, reliable, affordable, and accurate. They are easy to upgrade, easy to find lights and holsters, and can be worked on to evolve as your shooting evolves. While they are not "Perfect" as their slogan implies, they are good enough for what I want them to do. I just got my Brother-in-law to buy his first pistol, a Glock 35.

That being said, I do not recommend Gen4 Glocks to anyone.

Sure, I have heard plenty of "my 4th Gen ran flawless". Great, good for you. Your sample of one or two has been without issue. I am glad you are not having any problems. However, do you define "issues" and "flawless" the same as I do? What to you may be no big deal and not an issue on the square range may be a deal breaker for me as a carry/duty gun. Define flawless and how you came to that conclusion? How many rounds through it? 100, 500, 1k, 10k? What was your firing schedule? 300 a day? 300 over 6 range sessions? Indoor or outdoor range? What was the Wx like? What other guns do you consider to be "flawless"? What is your experience as far as training, being an armorer, carrying a pistol, troubleshooting, real world use? (These are rhetorical questions, not aimed at any one person. Please don't take offense. These are the questions that I try to answer for myself when listening to others experience/recommendations.)

I have personally witnessed enough issues with accuracy, feeding, and ejection with 4th Gen models and have heard of enough issues from people who I know personally in the industry and whom I trust by reputation and background to steer clear. Some of these guys see 300-400 individual shooters with all of their different setups/gear/firearms and launch hundreds of thousands of rounds a year. Some were directly involved in testing them for a large agency, others train some high-end units. Their statistical sample is much greater than one and when they make a recommendation I listen.

So it is Gen 3 for me for quite some time.

I carry Glocks. I like Glocks. I recommend Glocks to friends, family, new shooters, and experienced shooters alike. I feel that they are simple, reliable, affordable, and accurate. They are easy to upgrade, easy to find lights and holsters, and can be worked on to evolve as your shooting evolves. While they are not "Perfect" as their slogan implies, they are good enough for what I want them to do. I just got my Brother-in-law to buy his first pistol, a Glock 35.

That being said, I do not recommend Gen4 Glocks to anyone.

Sure, I have heard plenty of "my 4th Gen ran flawless". Great, good for you. Your sample of one or two has been without issue. I am glad you are not having any problems. However, do you define "issues" and "flawless" the same as I do? What to you may be no big deal and not an issue on the square range may be a deal breaker for me as a carry/duty gun. Define flawless and how you came to that conclusion? How many rounds through it? 100, 500, 1k, 10k? What was your firing schedule? 300 a day? 300 over 6 range sessions? Indoor or outdoor range? What was the Wx like? What other guns do you consider to be "flawless"? What is your experience as far as training, being an armorer, carrying a pistol, troubleshooting, real world use? (These are rhetorical questions, not aimed at any one person. Please don't take offense. These are the questions that I try to answer for myself when listening to others experience/recommendations.)

I have personally witnessed enough issues with accuracy, feeding, and ejection with 4th Gen models and have heard of enough issues from people who I know personally in the industry and whom I trust by reputation and background to steer clear. Some of these guys see 300-400 individual shooters with all of their different setups/gear/firearms and launch hundreds of thousands of rounds a year. Some were directly involved in testing them for a large agency, others train some high-end units. Their statistical sample is much greater than one and when they make a recommendation I listen.

So it is Gen 3 for me for quite some time.

Agreed.  I have stayed away and don't stock the extra parts for the Gen 4's.  Have heard of similar issues.  We rarely see Gen 4's come around most are 3's and some 2's.  All mine are Gen 3's 5 in total. 

This video captures some of the extraction issues - (skip to 4:46 to see his girlfriend take some brass to the face and head like a champ!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0QUqhC6c_w&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Look at how inconsistent the ejection is on the 4th gen 9mm guns - his G34, G17, and G19, and her G17(?).

Note - I am not a fan of this guy, but... His girlfriend in HOT and likes to shoot, and every now and then he has a decent segment with another instructor (for example, Ron Avery did a video with him dissecting the drawstroke and talking about economy of motion that was really good) so I watch some of his videos.