ryan_j

Is the front license plate optional in NJ?

Am I the only one that thinks the plate on the dash looks a thousand times worse than on the front of the car?

Yep it's stupid and unsafe. I don't like license plate covers too. If you're driving on public streets your vehicle needs to be clearly identifiable.

Here is why I hate front plates. My whole life I've had mustangs, camaros and other good cars. I had a 95 z-28 conv. Those cars come to a point in the nose and have a nice Chevy sign. I had to order some stupid bracket to put the plate on and it was hideous. As far as mustangs. You take a brand new car and have to drill holes in the bumper. The rear is more then enough

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

One cool thing I saw one guy do is get a sticker that was exactly a color copy of his plate and formed it to his bumper. Said he never had anyone complain about it.

Probably around 6 or so years ago one of my friends was working with a commission to determine the validity of front plates. After surveying many officers, they all said that they never look for front plates. The study was done to see how much money would be saved if they didn't have to make two plates per car. It showed that they should get rid of the front plates in NJ. I guess we see how we'll that work out as nothing happen, as usual. :p

Am I the only one that thinks the plate on the dash looks a thousand times worse than on the front of the car?

I dont think it is worse if you are driving a car that you don't want to mess the front end up on.. most newer cars have provisioning for the front.. but if it doesnt....

Back when I was in college I moved to AZ to go to Arizona state and the day before I moved I went to visit my dad in Hightstown to say goodbye and I had removed my front plate knowing my car was going on a tow dolly. Well, driving through Washington Twp. Up rte 130 I was almost to hightstown and a cop going the opposite way pulled a u-turn and pulled me over. Ticketed me on the spot for it! I was so pissed, but I did have a yellow slammed VW GTI with chrome rims so he probably figured some punk kid.

I don't know if SC requires a front plate or not but I sure hope not. I've always hated the front plate.

wrote three yesterday.  there is a part of the statute that says if your car cost more than $45,000 or has a cool sloped front you are not required to have a tag, unlike the drone who drives the Toyota Camry.  :)

wrote three yesterday.  there is a part of the statute that says if your car cost more than $45,000 or has a cool sloped front you are not required to have a tag, unlike the drone who drives the Toyota Camry.   :)

So based on that I don't need one for my $48k minivan. Cool. 

Wait, I'm confused. Are we angry it can be used as a fishing expedition or happy it can be used to downgrade a ticket? I'm sorry, I can't keep up with high frequency forum angst.

I do know that instead of going for an electronic FID they should first prove it works with an electronic Car ID to replace the plate. Ifitsavesjustonelifeforthechildren.

I have battleship plates on my truck so I don't care about that, but I sure as hell am never going to drill holes in my 02 SS Camaro. I zip tied the plate on my billet grille after 10 tickets. Once I become an LEO, the plate is coming right off. 

I have battleship plates on my truck so I don't care about that, but I sure as hell am never going to drill holes in my 02 SS Camaro. I zip tied the plate on my billet grille after 10 tickets. Once I become an LEO, the plate is coming right off. 

Gotta love that "I'm above the law" attitude.  I'm sure you'll make a fine officer.

And you wonder why so many people complain about the police.   I've spent everyday for the last 20 years trying to tamp down the public's perception of the "I'm above the law attitude" because of comments like that.  Frankly, if that is why you want the job you should re-evaluate your career path.  If you are willing to comment like that on a public forum, what else do you believe you can do?  I'd like to ask you at your oral interview why it took you 10 tickets to comply with the law and how you reconcile that with you application to enforce the law?

I just dont understand the fetish with having no front plate.. If its required then do it.. Are you that anal about your front bumper that you wont mount one.. What do ya think its gonna kill resale value?..reduce aerodynamic efficiency?...all it does is scream out "I'm giving you probable cause to stop me "... Thats all it does.. I thought this nonsense ended in high school

When I had a black car, I had very dark tinted license plate covers because I hated how the car looked with the standard yellow NJ plates (why can't NJ get those black DARE plates like PA has, dammit?  Or legit legal Euro-style plates, for that matter...but I digress...)

Anyway, pulled up to a light at a T intersection in Mountain Lakes, where a cop was apparently sitting across from me...  Light turns green, I turn, cop jumps out behind me and pulls me over...tells me I don't have a front plate.  I say "Yes I do."  He walks up to the front of the car, stands there a few seconds, looks dejected, and says ".......Oh..."

He then chatted with me about photography for a few minutes on the side of Rt 46, since he saw a tripod in my back seat...and let me go on my way...

Roseland on the other hand...I would make sure my car is 100% because they seem to pull you over for anything they can...

I did always think it was stupid that temp plates behind tinted SUV windows was just fine, but not having front plates normally was a big no-no...

You cannot have anything covering the plates either. 

I just dont understand the fetish with having no front plate.. If its required then do it.. Are you that anal about your front bumper that you wont mount one.. What do ya think its gonna kill resale value?..reduce aerodynamic efficiency?...all it does is scream out "I'm giving you probable cause to stop me "... Thats all it does.. I thought this nonsense ended in high school

Show cars.

Go ride by during Christmas and Thanksgiving and New Years and count cars.

So what? Working holidays doesn't give police the right to break laws. A lot of people work holidays. That was known before they took the job. Last I checked refineries run 24/7, restaurants are open, some retail, toll collectors and many other people. Are they now free to choose what laws they will follow?

What it comes down to is its a stupid law and its only there as a way for nj to get more money out of or harass it's citizens. Window tint too.

Cops always tout the window tint thing as officer safety.  If it's such an issue how come so many other states allow it and don't have any issues with officer safety? 

Do Florida cops have some special ability to see through window tint? :lol:

What it comes down to is its a stupid law and its only there as a way for nj to get more money out of or harass it's citizens. Window tint too.

I have window tint on my front doors, 50%, just to keep some heat out, but the people who have 5% on their front I think is way to dark.

If it wasn't for the license plate law, or the window tint law, or the "loud exhaust" law, small town cops would have very little action. We all know it. Where I live (Newark where there's plenty of other stuff going on ) I never had to worry about a front plate ticket, I never get bothered for a loud exhaust (which is catted and completely NJ legal, even passed inspection at the DMV). As soon as I go into a small boro that's when I get profiled. 9/10 times if I have my Puerto Rican friend with me we instantly get pulled over. Tell me that's not profiling. 

And no I'm not some young punk kid. I'm a small business manager with BA's in History and Foreign Affairs and a minor in Asia studies so go figure.