There's a chance you can satisfy all your wants. Certain sigs/ most glocks can be easily converted to fire .22lr. Purchase a full size gun that can be concealed, then purchase a conversion kit. Some smaller glocks can have extended magazines and aftermarket grios that make them feel full sized.

do u want to stay with 9mm? if yes then u can't beat Sig, if u want something cheaper G19 is an excellent weapon ( highly customizable to ur liking ) ... I have both :)

if u want a different caliber, most guys will tell u to get a .45 >>>> 1911, HK or Sig

personally I never got into .45 .... yet :)

I'm a fan of .40

For fun, a dedicated 22 is the way to go. Browning Buckmark (not the Buckmark Camper though, cheap plastic rear sight base) is my favorite. A conversion kit for your Beretta is good for training, but you don't need a permit for it.

I think it depends on whether or not you are actually going to practice.  Right now,.I don't think .22LR ammo or 9mm is still readily available and at a good price (I could be wrong).  If you are going to practice (and/or have the means to do so immediately, ammo, range, etc), then it would make sense to get something in .22LR.  If you go that route, I would suggest a Ruger 22/45 Lite for ultimate versatility.  For accuracy and durability, I would suggest a Ruger Mark III Target or Hunter (all stainless), or a Ruger Mark II.  I would get either the 4" or 5.5" barrelled models.  If you just don't like the Rugers, I would suggest an older quality Browning Buckmark.   And, you cannot go wrong with a DA/SA .22LR stainless revolver... Ruger SP101, S&W Model 317 or 617.  But, you should try the DA trigger and the ability to cock the hammer, etc. before buying.  Lastly, you might want to consider either a SIG 1911-22 or a S&W M&P 22.  Personally, out of all of these, I like the ergonomics and enjoy shooting the M&P 22 the most, especially with the upgraded fiber optic front sight. 

If you are not going to practice a lot, or more expensive ammo is not going to limit your practicing, or if ammo shortages are going to continue for a while, then you might as well get another defensive handgun and not worry about getting the .22LR, yet.  The Beretta is a nice gun.  It is a full-size 9mm.  So, I would consider getting something a little more compact.   Do you want to expand into another caliber?  Or, are you OK with 9mm.  If you want a different caliber then you would want to consider .38/.357, 9mm, .40S&W, .45 ACP.  You haven't mentioned your budget...  There are many people that would choose a nice 1911.  On a budget, I would consider a S&W 1911, Ruger SR1911, or maybe an STI Spartan.  I would probably choose something different, though.

My first choice would be a Glock 19 GEN4.  It has adjustable grips, slightly less recoil than a GEN3, and you can grip the handgun higher up because of the slight cutout on the trigger guard.  Or, you could get a Glock 23 GEN4 and get a few 9mm glock mags and a conversion barrel.  You could also get a .22LR conversion kit.  Then you would have a gun that could shoot .22LR, 9mm, and .40S&W. calibers.  It would also give you the smaller more compact size to compliment the full-size Beretta and it has all of the positives of owning a Glock... durability, reliability, aftermarket parts, dependability, etc..  A Glock GEN3 would also work quite nicely.   I would stick with a compact instead of a full-sze because of NJ and magazine limitations.  And, it has more versatility. 

There are many other guns that would work instead of a Glock and that would mostly be personal preference.  SIG 226, 229; Springfield Armory XD/XDM, Ruger SR9,  SR9C; CZ 75B family, or S&W M&P 9/9C.  I would get a Glock 19 or Glock 23, but my second choice would be a S&W M&P 9 or 9C out of all of the above.  If price wasn't a consideration, I might consider a SIG 229. 

And, then the other route would be a revolver.  In particular, I would look for a double/action stainless revolver with a 3 or 4" barrel in .357 that would also be able to handle .38s for versatility.  For versatility, I would get a Ruger SP101 with Hogue grips, but a Ruger GP100 or a S&W 686 would work very nicely, as well. 

Out of all of your options, I would look to see what is available, and maybe try it out.  And while doing that, I would put another set of permits in.  By the way, you should be able to get more than just one at the time of application and with renewal they should be good for 180 days.  I also would not overlook a quality used gun in good shape.  That way if you change your mind and want something different, you can sell it later on without losing too much money on the whole deal, or in at least breaking even.

Lastly, I believe someone had a Beretta 87 Cheetah .22LR on the forum, used, that might be a really nice way to compliment the Beretta 92 if it is still available and if you like the hammer-fired DA/SA semi-auto style.  Some might even want to get a 2nd copy of their primary handgun.  Or, maybe the compact version that came out last fall might make sense.

As for me,  I would get a Ruger 22/45 Lite followed by a Glock 23 GEN4 and a 9mm conversion barrel and mags.  I would presently skip something in .45 ACP unless you have a stockpile.  But, you cannot go wrong with a nice .357 revolver if you want to stock and or have more ammo versatility. 

If you like Beretta's you should check out a PX4 Storm. You can get a full size or a compact or sub-compact as you mentioned ccw. I have a compact 9mm and I like it alot. It compliments my 92 very well and has run flawlessly (just like the 92). It also comes with 15 round mags, the sub-compact holds 13 in 9mm but was too small for my hand. Rotating barrel seems to help with the recoil. Not sure what the going rate is on them right now but it will cost quite a bit less than your 92 did.

http://www.berettausa.com/shop-by-department/pistol-shooter/guns/

I bought a Beretta M9A1 back in May, they are great guns but  I had the same question/problem that you are describing,  I loved shooting the 9mm but the cost added up quick

I thought about the conversion kits but it seemed like as many people who liked them complained that they jammed constantly.  I didn't really want to spend $900 or so and end up regretting it, so I finally bought a Buckmark.  I've put about 500 rounds through it with no jams or trouble at all.  It was a great choice for me.

I've got an M9 and just bought the factory conversion kit as a training tool. As a .22, it's not great. It is however useful as a training tool to shoot cheaper ammo since it operates the same as the original pistol (same safety/decocker, modified 22lr version of the standard mags, and same trigger feel)

I also have a Ruger MK I which I love as a dedicated 22. Definitely a solid choice all day, everyday.

Need advice on what 2nd handgun to buy.

I currently own a Beretta 92A1 for home defense and fun at the range. During the panic I put in for a pistol permit for no good reason, I just figured I'd want to have a permit ready to go in case any bad legislation came down the road. Now I've got a permit to purchase a pistol... but I really have no clue of what I want to get. 

I am torn between three options.

1) .22 pistol for cheap fun at the range (Buckmark, Mark III, Sig Mosquito, etc)

2) a compact/ccw pistol in case I ever get a carry permit for other states (no idea what I'd get, concealment was never a thought in my mind due to living in NJ)

3) a second full size dedicated home defense pistol (Glock 19, PPQ, or possibly a Sig P226/227/229/220 if I feel like spending $ig money)

What do you guys think? I know it's sort of a vague question. Price isn't really a concern but I'm hesitant to go over $1,000 and if I do I'd get the $1200+ Sig P220 Elite I've always dreamed of. I really want a Sig but where my experience level is right now the extra cash would be better spent on ammo and training. I also want to build/buy an AR after this next handgun so keeping the handgun price in check will speed up the acquisition of the AR.

Thanks for any advice, I'm really open to absolutely anything or any brand of good quality. Inspire me!

I can fill both of those requirements with my suggestion:  buy a sig 226 in .22lr and buy the 226 exchange kit in 9mm.  

I bought my 226 .22lr and 9mm exchange kit for under $900 out the door.  You get a good range plinker and the same battle proven 9mm that comes from the factory for just over the price of a 226 9mm msrp.  When you put the xchange kit on it there is no difference between your pistol and a factory 9mm 226.  It even comes with night sights.  

I can fill both of those requirements with my suggestion:  buy a sig 226 in .22lr and buy the 226 exchange kit in 9mm.  

I bought my 226 .22lr and 9mm exchange kit for under $900 out the door.  You get a good range plinker and the same battle proven 9mm that comes from the factory for just over the price of a 226 9mm msrp.  When you put the xchange kit on it there is no difference between your pistol and a factory 9mm 226.  It even comes with night sights.  

Very Very interesting idea. I owe you a beer!

Still thinking about the G19 though... what are they running for in NJ these days? Last I checked RTSP was asking $575 +tax and nics.

Depending on where you are, give Rick at OMG a ring.  He's in Bayonne and is a forum sponsor.

I stopped by today with no intention of buying anything.  I was only going to introduce a buddy of mine to him that was interested in something he had there.  He pulled out all the goodies and I wound up buying something.  I told him he would have to hold it for me for a few months as I'm trying to limit my purchases to 3 handguns per year.  I usually submit for new permits towards the end of the year.  He was ok with that.  I left him a deposit.

He has quite a few Glocks in stock and the best bet is to actually hold and fire one to see if you like it.

Depending on where you are, give Rick at OMG a ring.  He's in Bayonne and is a forum sponsor.

I stopped by today with no intention of buying anything.  I was only going to introduce a buddy of mine to him that was interested in something he had there.  He pulled out all the goodies and I wound up buying something.  I told him he would have to hold it for me for a few months as I'm trying to limit my purchases to 3 handguns per year.  I usually submit for new permits towards the end of the year.  He was ok with that.  I left him a deposit.

He has quite a few Glocks in stock and the best bet is to actually hold and fire one to see if you like it.

Thanks I have been meaning to stop by him for a small smithing job on another firearm so maybe I can kill two birds with one stone.

I would suggest the following:

- For now, don't buy another pistol.  Dedicate yourself to learn how to reload and then keep shooting what you have.

- Get effecient and independent on what you already have before venturing further out.

- Now look to purchase your AR. 

- Since you have experience reloading, you can now shoot your AR more often and develop strong fundamentals.

Since you already have a pistol, why get another if you really want an AR?  At least with an AR, you have broadened your box of "tools".  If you decide on another pistol, at least get another in the same caliber. 

If you are a casual shooter (200-500 rounds a year), buy another pistol and enjoy life.  If you want to become a confident reliable shooter, become independent.  I know reloading tools and components are difficult to find (for $400-$500 you can easily be set up and running with a Lee Turret producing 150 rounds per hour), but you have to push yourself in that direction.  I believe what is happening now will happen again but the intensity of it will increase each time.

Think long term.

Yup, I did the same.  Best sneaky Sig deal out there.

Still haven't used my .22lr kit, but I have it!