MartyZ

want to start competition shooting

Ok folks, I have been thinking of trying my hand at competition shooting for quite some time now and I am finally ready to pull the trigger (pun indended).  I have been considering IDPA, but I know absolutely nothing about it.  I have read some posts and watched some youtube videos on the subject but am still thoroughly confused.

As far as guns go, my only 2 options are HK USP45 and Beretta 96A1 (both are stock, except for tritium sights).  All other hardware (ie: belt holster, mag carrier, concealment garment, etc...) should not be a problem.

My biggest problems are, How do I get started?  Are there upcoming matches (for beginners) in central NJ?  Which of my 2 gun choices should I use?

IDPA is more defensive oriented - you'll be shooting from behind cover, reloading with retention, shooting targets in order of priority, etc.  It's a bit slower and more technical.  USPSA is more run and gun - freestyle shooting, dropping partial mags, etc.

There are definitely a lot of matches.  1st Saturday of the month is USPSA up at Shongum (Northwest Jersey), 2nd Sunday of the month is USPSA at CJRPC (good place to start), as well as IDPA @ OBRPC (Also a good place to start).  3rd Sunday of the month is IDPA @ SCFGPA (Great place to start), and 4th sunday of the month is USPSA @ OBRPC (very busy match - may be difficult for beginners).

There are 3-4 clubs in Nj that hold IDPA Matches:  Old Bridge, Somerset Co., Phillipsburg and at least one down south (Salem Co., Gloucester Co.?).  Check-out their web sites for further info and email or call the Match Directors listed.  Local clubs run really nice Matches and are "beginner-friendly", so I'd start there.

Type of gun is based upon it's action and mag capacity.  You could probably use either that you mentioned.  Most newbies use 9mm since it's a little easier on the wallet than .45 these days.

Dave

USPSA is not about going up against people with custom guns, etc.  You would probably be put in different divisions so you would be competing with people with like equipment/skill.

Also - IDPA generally has a lower round count per match than USPSA - something to keep in mind if you're watching the ammo/$$$.

I will check out somerset and old bridge. I not ready to get into USPSA yet, since from what I understand, I will be competing against people with customized guns and I dont have the funds for that kind of investment.

Maybe I have it all wrong but I don't see it as a newbie that I am really competing against others as there is no way I am good enough yet to even think about winning.  I am competing against myself and working under pressure of time to do things right and improve each time.  Further, I find that in most competitive endeavors one usually does better when competing against high level competitors.

If you want to start with a little less stressful match try Steel. CJRPC has their monthly steel match the first Sunday of the month. You can shoot multiple guns and you need less equipment. The rules are easier and you can get use to competition without knowing anything about it. The first Sunday match is open to members and non-members, registration is 0830, $8/gun for non members. Always a lot of fun and everyone is willing to help new shooters get involved with competition.

Also, USPSA requires a little more equipment wise. 4 mags required, 5 preferred. Either of your guns would put you in production division shooting against similar guns not against the limited and open guys. OBRPC offers an indoor action match every 1st and 3rd Friday night, great way to get familiar with shooting in competitions. Or just go out to a steel match to start with and move up to USPSA or IDPA when you feel ready.

My recommendations. 

If you are comfortable with clearing malfunctions safely and basic gun handling, a good place to start is the Old bridge rifle and pistol indoor matches first and third friday. Round count is lower, and since you can only shoot at the rear wall, complying with the safety rules is simpler since the range is less 3d for lack of a better description. Since it isn't official USPSA rules, they can be accommodating to newer shooters without all the gear by letting you start form low ready and carry your mags in your pocket. You also only need 3 mags to get through a match 95% of the time. 

If that intimidates you, try a static steel match. It shares basically the same starting and ending range commands, but you don't have to deal with movement, and the RO can stay close to you the whole time so they can intervene pretty quickly if you do something stupid. You also can get through a match with pretty minimal gear as they usually allow a low ready start with a time penalty. Since it is five strings of five, you can usually get through with only three mags. 

As for being competitive, don't focus on that. Nobody is showing up to their first match and schooling anyone. It's not the $3000 custom gun that makes it hard to beat someone, it's the $10,000 worth of ammo they have sent down range in matches and practice. 

How to get started?  The longest journey begins with the first step.  So basically, just show up, watch, listen, learn.  Nobody is winning a Cadillac and as a new shooter (been at this just over a year) I can tell you hands down that I haven't met one single person that I wouldn't willing shoot with again.  Except that Raz-o...he's a bit.  Odd. lol  (I keed...I keed)

He gives good advice in his reply.  My first "official" shoot was an indoor at Old Bridge, and then I shot some steel.  Both are great fun and something my son and I now do regularly.

We did shoot IDPA in Somerset once.  They run a nice match, but for someone who was used to USPSA, the difference in rules made my head hurt, and my scores reflected that.  I'm not sure which is easier to transition from/to  USPSA to IDPA or the other way around.  They are two different disciplines and while both a lot of fun, the difference in rules and performance may be off putting. 

If you wanted to try Static Steel, I own a set of 6 plates and 5 stands.  We are at CJ almost every weekend.  I'm more than happy to let you experiment informally.

For starting in USPSA I'd recommend Shongum (1st Saturday of the month). Very relaxed and usually not over crowded (like OB tends to be). Every match has a new shooters orientation beforehand, too. Also, Shongum reduced their round count due to the Great Ammo Crisis of 2013. They're down to about 100 rounds.

Like someone said above, you're put into a division based on your gun. A Beretta 96 would likely be Production Minor (or Major?), USP45 would be Production Major. I shoot a 92 in Production Minor and a .45 1911 in Single Stack Major. Honestly, regardless of your division or class, you're really only competing against yourself until you've competed several times at least. 

After some serious encouragement from Pizza Bob I shot my first IDPA match (and first match of any kind) at Somerset back in May, and another in June. Both were great, and I recommend it if you want something resembling a real world shooting experience. The first time you go there they'll give you a safety briefing prior to the match and answer any questions.

I agree with the preceding comments, so I won't repeat them. But I do have two suggestions if you decide to shoot IDPA.

First, join IDPA. It doesn't cost that much and if you shoot more than one match you'll want to do it anyway. They send a great DVD that gives you about a 45 minute intro on safety, terms and rules. I could not find this particular video on YouTube, although there are many other videos there that demonstrate the same concepts. If I had not watched this in advance of the match I would have been at a serious disadvantage. And I want to have a very clear head when handling, moving and shooting live handguns.

Second, make sure you're clear on the concept of shooting targets in 'tactical sequence' vs. 'tactical priority'. These are IDPA terms. The stages they present you with will specify one or the other, and not understanding what this means in advance would be another really confusing point, and subtract from the time you have to consider the stage itself.

Other than that, dive in and have fun. Everyone at Somerset was very helpful and encouraging for first time shooters.

For starting in USPSA I'd recommend Shongum (1st Saturday of the month). Very relaxed and usually not over crowded (like OB tends to be). Every match has a new shooters orientation beforehand, too. Also, Shongum reduced their round count due to the Great Ammo Crisis of 2013. They're down to about 100 rounds.

Like someone said above, you're put into a division based on your gun. A Beretta 96 would likely be Production Minor (or Major?), USP45 would be Production Major. I shoot a 92 in Production Minor and a .45 1911 in Single Stack Major. Honestly, regardless of your division or class, you're really only competing against yourself until you've competed several times at least. 

Production is always scored as Minor.

If you shoot the H&K better, then shoot that. You can shoot that in CDP division and thus not handicap yourself further by competing against a bunch of 9mm's. Capacity in CDP is limited to 8+1.

There is a match at Easton on Sunday. It may be a bit ambitious for a beginner, but we all had to start somewhere and you will find yourself surrounded by people willing to help you out.

Here is a listing of IDPA, USPSA and Steel matches in the general area...

http://www.nepaidpascores.net/cgi-bin/shooting_schedule.pl?req=all

If you are going to Easton, contact the Match Director and let him know so that he can tell you about the newbie safety briefing. Practically everyone that I have started down this path, that wanted to go and just observe the first time, regretted that they didn't participate. As Geoff suggests, do some pre-match research to gain some preliminary knowledge (my sticky in the competition section is not a bad place to start, if I do say so myself) and then go and shoot a match. Go slow and concentrate on safety, number one, and accuracy, number two. Speed will come of its own accord.

Hope to see you there this weekend.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

I may go to Shongum Saturday, I get back from working out of state Friday.  Anyone here going?  I'm a total beginner looking to just get a grasp of the sport.

I'm going to Shongum on Saturday too.  I am hoping that with a little more practice I will advance to becoming a beginner :)

Sorry, just saw this post. I was at Shongum last weekend. If you guys were there, I would've said hi. Was in squad 2. Had my first attempt at a Polish plate rack. Super fun, but if that thing starts spinning, got a lot of chasing to do.

I got my feet wet first at Shongum and recommend there as a great place to start. The pace is slower and the stages usually not as intense, so you're not overwhelmed. For the first timers, just forget about the clock. Learn the safety rules, commands and don't get DQ'ed. Lot of friendly people around to help.

Having done a couple matches at Shongum, OB was an eye opener. Way more fun, but way more challenging stages. I was overwhelmed at my first match there. My friend attended his very first match ever at OB. They are very helpful too for first timers. ROs helped my friend a lot.

Everyone gotta start somewhere. Just sign up to one and go. They'll walk you through step-by-step on what you need to do. Don't worry what others have and who your competing against.

Go there, be safe and have fun. :)

My first match was also at OB and the first stage I was on had a few targets that it would have been easy to break the 180 talk about trial by fire. I have to give a big thanks to Maks for ROing me on that stage and helping me out in general for the whole match and yes I did make it through all six stages without a DQ

Sorry, just saw this post. I was at Shongum last weekend. If you guys were there, I would've said hi. Was in squad 2. Had my first attempt at a Polish plate rack. Super fun, but if that thing starts spinning, got a lot of chasing to do.

I got my feet wet first at Shongum and recommend there as a great place to start. The pace is slower and the stages usually not as intense, so you're not overwhelmed. For the first timers, just forget about the clock. Learn the safety rules, commands and don't get DQ'ed. Lot of friendly people around to help.

Having done a couple matches at Shongum, OB was an eye opener. Way more fun, but way more challenging stages. I was overwhelmed at my first match there. My friend attended his very first match ever at OB. They are very helpful too for first timers. ROs helped my friend a lot.

Everyone gotta start somewhere. Just sign up to one and go. They'll walk you through step-by-step on what you need to do. Don't worry what others have and who your competing against.

I was there, but in Squad 3 so we did not get a chance to meet.  Only my second try, and I am fairly certain I came in dead last - but I had lots of fun.  I gotta figure out how to go one heck of a lot faster.  Do you know when the results will be available and where?

And you are right that polish thing was a bear.  I killed three out of the top four right away, but then it went for a spin - but I did get the other three without too much problems.

We were in the same squad, and you did well. Hope to shoot together again soon.

We were in the same squad, and you did well. Hope to shoot together again soon.

Yes we were. Thanks for all the info. You actually RO'ed me at my first OB match. The path you took on the last stage made me start thinking out of the box. You did mention you were going to do something different than anyone else. Too bad you were the last one or I might've mimic'ed you. :)

I was trying to load 16 for the rifle stage like you and run the first string till bolt lock on the rifle stage but completely forgot that my mags don't like being fed to capacity with the bolt down. That plan went in the crapper. Lol.

Same with my rifle. I loaded one with the Barney mag and then a 16 rounder. Plan worked well but I think I could have shot it faster than what I actually did. Sometimes thinking outside if the box works if it is within the rules and stage description.