Bully

Birthday Selfie...

I'm turning 45 in December. In a discussion with my wife (She Who Controls All!!!) I may have mentioned that I want a 45 caliber gun in a celebration of age appropriateness. She said what I construed as a "Yes, that's a great idea, honey!" So, I'm gonna move forward and hope she remembers it the same way I do.
:maninlove: 
I'm looking for suggestions.

This will be a range toy.  Maybe something to hunt with if I enjoy hunting(out of state) I would like it to be in a fairly common 45 caliber as I don't want to go crazy trying to find components for it.. I am not committed to any platform. However I would really appreciate it if the suggestions are not a "Get gun X, cuz it's awesome" and that's the end of it. I would love to hear your justification. And again, I'm open to anything. SAA, revolver, 1911, plastic fantastic, lever... what have you. My only real constraint is budget which I would love to keep at or around 1k. Less is fine, too.

So, have at it. Suggestions with justification are welcome and I'm looking forward to hearing them.

C

Colt 1911 in .45, any variant you like (send it through their custom shop for a little scroll work and engraving later on). That would be a nice .45 for your 45.

My Series 70 is a performer. Only around 600 rounds down the tube, but not one failure, and it is a sweet shooter. My boss was a huge Glock fan, swore every other handgun was a waste of time (Sig, Springfield, S&W. etc...) until he fired my Colt.

That being said, my Series 70 has those standard sights (which I lose on a dark target), so something more like a XSE or Combat Elite would probably be a bit more practical.

Don't neglect the S&W 1911 E series. There are several configurations so one is very likely to please. Very stable, solid, heavy feel to it so it points like a dream and stays on target quite well. it's right around you're price range and it's drop dead gorgeous.

I agree with the S&W 1911, but I would go (and did go) with the performance center model.  The gun is rock solid, much more accurate than I am, and did I mention it looks great.  Just look at mine:

9077058439_94220b3495_b_d.jpg

You've gotten some good advice already. I personally feel its a hard choice.

1911 is like don said, fully customizable. However, at the price range, the SW d series really is a perfect gun. Runs well and SW has a great warranty.

The hk45 is just a great gun. Ergos are awesome and it's very light. Has an external safety also. HK's are expensive but they run and have very low failure rate.

Glock 21. What's to say, it's a Glock. Cheap and runs.

If you do end up going for a 1911, look at the Springfield Range Officer too.  Some improved components without going overboard.  Match grade barrel and trigger but average sights and grips.  You can upgrade later if you want, but its beautiful out of the box and shoots like a champ.  Right around your budgets top end, but a great gun for the money.

Thanks gents. 

I'm actually surprised that more haven't been thinking outside the 1911 box.  It's the obvious choice.  However, I am not beholden to any particular platform.  Nor am I committed to a handgun.  I guess that I'm wondering if there is anything I haven't thought of yet.

Bry@n, the HK is a nice option.  Thank you for that.  Glock...  eh.  I think I would like something that not everyone else has.  I love Glocks, don't get me wrong.  But for this particular purchase it's not my favorite option.

C

SAA Model 1873 in .45 LC (you pick the maker).  If you're truly looking for something that not everybody has, this is it!

Or since I'm a Smith and Wesson Fanboy, how about a Model 25 in .45 LC?

Or a .45-70 Trapdoor Springfield?

Or a .45 Gibbs?

Or a semi-auto .45 ACP Thompson?  Not everybody has one of those, lol!

Or the .45-70 stainless "BFR" Revolver.  What a Taurus Judge would be if it was "all grown-up", lol!

Or a used Marlin Camp Carbine in .45 ACP?

Or a Beretta Storm Carbine in .45 ACP?

I can come-up with more, lol!

Dave

I dont like the S&W "1911" the external extractor doesn't do it for me on a 1911. i have a colt 1911 and love it. i have a Springfield 1911 and love it. my brother has 2 Springfield's and he loves them. if you want a .45 go with a 1911. personally i would go colt or springfield. colt for the history and quality. springfield for the quality, customization options from their shop and their customer service if  anything ever happens.

Dave!!!  Thank you.  Definitely some stuff I hadn't thought of.

Any justification for any one or two of those?  Have you shot any/all of them?  Thoughts?

C

Chris,

I've shot them all except for the .45-70 BFR and the .45 Gibbs rifle.

The 1873 is a classic.  A true piece of history in your hands.  Good enough to protect the house or hunt deer, wild boar.  Patton used his to great effect (Jackass blocking a Column got strafed.  Jackass shot in head, then tossed over the side of the bridge!).

.45-70 Trapdoor can handle low-power smokeless centerfire loads as well as black powder or bp substitute loads.  Another piece of history in your hands.  VERY accurate IF you get one with decent rifling (not hard to do).

Smith and Wesson DA revolver .45 LC in a highly polished blue is the "brother" to the famous Model #29 in .44 Mag.  Smooth handling, can lob rounds into #10 cans at 75 yards all day long!  Not as much recoil as the .44 Mag and most of the stopping power!

Beretta Storm Carbine can make one-hole groups at 20 yards once you get used to the trigger or do a slight trigger job on it to stone it smooth.  Uses same mags as the pistol.

Marlin Camp Carbine looks similar to the Ruger  .44 Mag Carbine.  Wood stock, uses Colt-style .45 ACP Mags available everywhere.

In my little bit of searching around, Ruger makes the Vaquero in 45LC with a 45ACP cylinder.  Hmmmmmmmmmmm... 

Thank you for that.

The BFR, although VERY cool is kinda ugly to me.  Great guns, supposedly.

Blue Line, the .458 Socom although cool is so not my cup of tea.  I really don't like the "Black Gun" thing although the round is intriguing. 

The search continues.

C

Colt Gold Cup National Match STS - Model O5070X List $1180

Colt Series 70's STS - Model O1070A1CS List $1078

Also available in blue, only if you plan serious mods to gun would I consider blued.

Cannot go wrong, history, quality, name, resale value, has it all. Tons of aftermarket everything. But deep down at the end of the day, it's still a Colt.

Love my GCNM STS. Now 25 years old still looks as good as new, even when treating it poorly at times.

Marlin Camp 45 Carbine is now a collector's item. Good luck with that. See the Marlin Boards. It needs some special TLC also with the buffer and spring and the feeder assembly (no harsh cleaners, it distorts it).

If I had a $1000 budget, I would be looking at H&K for sure. The HK45 is the most confortable gun I ever had in my hands. If you pick one up in your gun store, you will probably leave with it. Just slightly over your budget.

http://www.hk-usa.com/civilian_products/hk45_general.asp

and check this out!

http://pistol-training.com/archives/4027

In my little bit of searching around, Ruger makes the Vaquero in 45LC with a 45ACP cylinder.  Hmmmmmmmmmmm... 

Thank you for that.

The BFR, although VERY cool is kinda ugly to me.  Great guns, supposedly.

Blue Line, the .458 Socom although cool is so not my cup of tea.  I really don't like the "Black Gun" thing although the round is intriguing. 

The search continues.

C

No problem--that's what I'm here for, lol!  Ruger makes a nice revolver (I even have a Blackhawk in .357), and you may want to also look at Uberti six-guns in .45 LC, since they make every barrel length and finish known to man, right up to 18" barreled revolvers with and without a shoulder stock (what Lee Van Cleef used in the old movies with Clint Eastwood).  For something truly special and UNIQUE, take a look at all of the Uberti's.  Some matched sets are available for a little over $1K for a PAIR!

Imagine being the ONLY Dude you know with a Buntline 1873 SAA or other such thing, lol!    All for under the 1K you spoke of!

Dave

In my little bit of searching around, Ruger makes the Vaquero in 45LC with a 45ACP cylinder. Hmmmmmmmmmmm...

Thank you for that.

The BFR, although VERY cool is kinda ugly to me. Great guns, supposedly.

Blue Line, the .458 Socom although cool is so not my cup of tea. I really don't like the "Black Gun" thing although the round is intriguing.

The search continues.

C

black guns are scary. I know. Just ask the antis .....lol