Pizza Bob

Should I Shoot Competition?

This thread was inspired by the "How Often Do You Shoot?" thread. It seems that the rationale most often stated as to why someone does not shoot more is threefold: 1) The cost of joining a private club; 2) The cost of going to, or joining, a public range that charges by the hour; and, 3) The cost of ammunition.

We all know that just finding the time is another big factor - especially for those of you that have actual lives. Not much I can do or suggest to do about that, short of divorcing and giving up the kids for adoption.

The cost of ammo is starting to come down and the supply is starting to catch-up to the demand, so that objection is being mitigated somewhat. And of course there is always reloading.

Now, as an alternative to the first two, allow me to suggest that you get involved in competitive shooting. Any discipline whether it be action handgun (USPSA, IDPA, steel), conventional bullseye, clays (trap, skeet or sporting) or rifle (high-power, Ruger matches). All of the above give you the opportunity to shoot a little or a lot. And one of the real benefits is that you are surrounded by people participating at all levels of competency - and the socialization that shooting in such a group that entails. There will always be someone to answer your questions, give you pointers and generally help you advance to the next level.

One of the real benefits is cost. I'll speak from an action handgun standpoint, since that is my poison. A typical match may last 3 - 5 hours and you may shoot up to 200 rounds (50 - 125 is more the norm). You shoot at both indoor and outdoor ranges and I know of no private club where these matches are held, that require you to be a member. Some disciplines will require you to become a member of the national sanctioning organization ($40/year for IDPA & USPSA) after allowing you to try it out one or more times as a non-member. So the only thing left is the entry fee. I have found that most IDPA matches in the region are $10 with one I go to at $15. Most USPSA matches are $20 (but these usually have a higher round count overall and per stage). Contrast this with 3 hours at a public range at $20/hour and not having the benefit of being surrounded by other friendly shooters or having a way to gauge your competency.

I shoot 3 to 5 matches a month (most often 4 - one each weekend), see, and become friendly with, a lot of the same people at each event. And garner a wealth of knowledge about technique, firearms, ammunition, accessories etc, etc. In other words I benefit far more from this type of shooting than I ever would by just going to a range and putting holes in a piece of paper.

Taking the first step is always the hardest. There are lots of excuses about why you can't right now. People shoot these different sports at all different levels and I have never attended a match where there was hostility or derision directed at new shooters - we were all new once. As long as you're safe and follow the match directors instructions, you will find this opens a whole new shooting world to you, at probably less cost than you spend now just punching paper. Give it a whirl - you'll be happy you did.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

All well said.  Being a fairly new shooter I panicked the first time someone said I should try this.  My first thought was what if I miss the broad side of the barn, boy would that be embarrassing.  But after thinking about it I said what the heck.  Really all you need is ammo and probably your own gun.  I say that as the first match I went to one of the people on the board lent me a belt, holster and mag pouches and even offered extra magazine if I needed them and a gun if I wanted.  That is the type people you will find here.  Actually the first match I went to I only shot my camera, just observed what was involved.  Not only is this a lot of fun, but it really improves your shooting.  It is one thing to stand at the line and take time to line up on static shot at a stationary target; it totally another thing to run around and shoot at multiple targets, some that move.  You really improve your skills.  And so what if you suck, I can proudly say that I have competed and finished dead last - but each time I do get better.  You will meet lots of new people and find that you will probably get addicted.  Dive in and try it.

I started playing shooting games less than 2 months after taking up shooting again.

I do average, and am no threat to win anything, but damn is it fun and boy oh boy are the people great.  No one looks down on you, your equipment or your skills, unless you are unsafe.  The only time people bust on you, is when they like you, and then it is just good natured ribbing.  Or maybe they do actually dislike me, not sure, but I am going with my theory.

I just find the competition part of it so much more fun than poking holes in paper.

My first event was a steel match, and after that I have shot some USPSA.  I love it.

i have been very interested in this, would love to give it a try. But what kind of gear would be required? mag holders, holster, # of mags, # of rounds? Can you shoot factory reloads? (freedom seems to be the cheapest atm). etc?

Depends what you shoot. If you have something other than a 1911 with 10+ round mags, get a total of 5 mags and you are more than good to go with a couple of USPSA divisions, IDPA, static steel and knockdown steel. 

the hardest thing to borrow that is the most useful is a good belt. The cr speed, double alpha, or safariland competition belts are good and will cover everything but IDPA. A wilderness instructor belt with the reinfocement layer will cover that, and do a decent job at the other games. 

Add to that a cheap kydex holster,  (if you own a glock or M&P or other very popular affordable pistol, the safariland ALS hoslters are $30 something bucks for most of them and are REALLY good quality for the money, but an uncle mikes will work for you for some time as will any of the injection molded blade tech holsters). 

Mag holders will finish the job, and you'l have your whole competition rig. 

And if anyone is interested in shooting High Power Rifle competitions in South Jersey (Millville - Cumberland County & Winslow - Camden County) contact me off-list.

The warm-weather season is coming to a close, but it'll be Frozen Nutz time soon enough!!

njJoniGuy at yahoo dot com

i have been very interested in this, would love to give it a try. But what kind of gear would be required? mag holders, holster, # of mags, # of rounds? Can you shoot factory reloads? (freedom seems to be the cheapest atm). etc?

Read the first "sticky" at the top of this forum (also by me) and it will answer all those questions.

I couldn't agree more with all of the positive thoughts.  Punching holes in paper is nice, and it has its' place.  Being a part of something though (such as a League) is a whole 'nuther story!  You learn so much more from just being "around" those that know what they're doing, that in and of itself is worth the price of admission!  Doesn't matter which discipline--from Sporting Clays to USPSA to Black Powder (and yes, I do them ALL), every Match has its' own characters that always do well.  So I made some friends at each and if I need some advice, I know who to call or email.  And they treat me with the same respect in my specialties, BTW.

Let me put it in another way.  There are Noobs on the forum who ask a ton of questions (and that's to be expected).  Some of them do as all of us Mentors suggest, i.e. "get involved".  Others are afraid of a low score or being ridiculed (ONLY happens for BAD gun handling, so don't "sweep" anyone including yourself and there's NO issue).  And others want nothing to do with competition and see no value in it (and these are the same folks that tend to be the MOST dangerous, especially at public ranges).  Out of all three of these groups, the most improved shooters tend to come from the folks worried about their scores and being safe enough to compete.  SO THAT MEANS YOU if you're reading this, lol!  So please come on out and experience what it's like to be Mentored.  You'll be glad you did!

And thanks Bob for this wonderful thread!

Dave

I thought you had to use one of those fancy race guns in uspsa?

How many do you have? =P

Bob, outstanding post.  

Btw, if anyone ever needs gear, most people will be glad to lend you what you need, just cover the ammo.  there is NO REASON to go buy gear for your first match, especially if you do not know what your game of choice will be.

Bob, How about doing IDPA at CJR&P? What would have to happen for this to become a reality?

Need to find a free weekend day, and someone stupid enough to want to run the match.  Being MD is a thankless job, and we have a few people in this threat who can attest to that. =)

But there are already a few clubs than run it.  Somerset and Old Bridge.

All well said.  Being a fairly new shooter I panicked the first time someone said I should try this.  My first thought was what if I miss the broad side of the barn, boy would that be embarrassing.  But after thinking about it I said what the heck. 

These were exactly my thoughts.  I actually did much better than I thought I would especially since I was using a compact pistol (only pistol I had a holster and mag pouches for).  It is def a ton of fun, and like everyone else said, as long as you are safe other shooters will go out of their way to help you.  

I haven't been able to get back out to another uspsa match bc of scheduling, but hope to in Oct.  

Haven't read all of the replies.

But to the question of whether or not someone should shoot in competition, my response is resoundingly YES!

I often times find myself describing my weekend to friends as very simply "My shooting sports are like a bowling league...only with guns."  I find myself shooting with people I like, mutual exchange of ball breaking, and challenging myself to shoot better and improve my skills.

The only negative can be the down time between shooting stages, but otherwise its a great way to spend a day.

I'm looking to do an IDPA when I get back to NJ next week.  Any IDPA competitions on October 5th or 6th?  Or 12th?

October 6th is Guthsville, PA and October 12th is Phillipsburg. For you, both of these clubs are reached by heading west on I-78.

Here's a schedule with links to the sponsoring clubs giving times, directions etc.

http://www.nepaidpascores.net/cgi-bin/shooting_schedule.pl?req=all

Adios,

Pizza Bob

EDIT: It appears Guthsville has been cancelled for that weekend. There is a USPSA match at Shongum on 10/5

I met Bob and some other forum members (as well as a bunch of other enthusiasts) at a match at SCFGPA.  They were all very helpful and newb friendly.  I'm not sure its for me, but I think after I get my new gun, I'm gonna give it another shot.  

I just got back from my first match at Shongum and I have to say it was a great experience and a hell of a lot of fun.  A big thank you to Bob for allowing me to borrow some equiptment(I just put my order in for a 1911 stuff), as well as tips along the way from Bob,  Howard and others in our squad.

If you are on the fence, just go, you WILL have fun.  I cannot wait for the next match!

Glad you had fun today, it was nice meeting you.  Now you have to try IDPA and Steel matches.  I'm planning on going to Old Bridge tomorrow for static steel.  I find that great training as all you are doing is trying for a hit which is great for a perfectionist like me that always wastes times trying to get the perfect alpha.  I know I should not do that, but it is hard for me not too.

Now this is a thread I'll be happy to follow.

I've been thinking of trying shooting games, but as most newbs are, I've been a bit reluctant since my skills are what I consider on the low side. That being said, are there any matches that have novice to junior skill level? Are there any practice matches in the area.

Now this is a thread I'll be happy to follow.

I've been thinking of trying shooting games, but as most newbs are, I've been a bit reluctant since my skills are what I consider on the low side. That being said, are there any matches that have novice to junior skill level? Are there any practice matches in the area.

The most important skills are safety. Hitting targets, while important, is secondary. Go out have fun and don't take it seriously. Heck, I dumped about 3 mags trying to knock down the Texas star. I knew I wasn't going to be a top contender so I just laughed it off.

Go in with that mentality and you'll be fine.

Dont worry about your skill level, everyone starts out as a beginner. I never really see any competition against shooters, most shoot against themselves. Lots of friendly people, most more than willing to talk or offer pointers.

Just go, have fun, and make sure you are taping/ resetting after every shooter. Stay busy and you will make friends quickly.