olderguy

Home Carry

i carry concealed both at home, and at my shop. my home town isn't particularily dangerous yet, although it's got a section that you would think you stepped into camden.....but i don't feel the NEED to carry. i carry because i am responsible for me and mine......i carry at work for the same reason.

Paranoia. How bad of an area do you live in if you need to constantly carry. I just dont get it. Please explain it to me. Can i have some examples please. One rifle or pistol per floor should suffice. But carrying it on you? I dont know but ive got other things in life to worry about. Hey its easier to just lock the damn door. Fill me in. I must be ignorant.

You're not at all ignorant. You just feel differently. Why does one way have to be right and one way have to be wrong? Do what you like in your home and others can do what they want, no?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Can't believe we are having to explain why carrying a 20lb fire extinguisher is not a proper analogy to having a firearm nearby, but OK.....a developing fire usueally lends some time to respond, whereas a home invasion can sometinmes involve seconds (look at the infamous video in this thread). You can usually evacuate from a fire, but in a home invasion that may not be the case....etc, etc, etc,

I don't disagree with it but only for the reason I mentioned. If I could carry a fire extinguisher in my pocket that was as good as a wall mounted one I would.

Really?      I wouldn't.....I'd just pack heat. :)  Good Night Gentlemen.....It has been a pleasure.....

You're not at all ignorant. You just feel differently. Why does one way have to be right and one way have to be wrong? Do what you like in your home and others can do what they want, no?

yeah, but he's not just saying 'that's not what I do', he's saying 'you're all paranoid for home carry', which is a totally different statement. Yes???

I carry a fire extinguisher and first aid kit in my car. I also carry a CPR mask on my key chain. I also have a multi tool on me even at home. Comes in very handy. The only reason people don't carry fire extinguishers on their person is because useful ones are too big. It's perfectly fine to be prepared. It's no big deal where it's practical. That's all.

ryan j, you a 1st responder? Regardless of whether it's MV accident or fire, I'm thinking of volunteering when our 1st born leaves the nest. My question is, will 55 yrs old be too old?

ryan j, you a 1st responder? Regardless of whether it's MV accident or fire, I'm thinking of volunteering when our 1st born leaves the nest. My question is, will 55 yrs old be too old?

Kinda sorta but only at work. I'm a fire warden and designated first aid person. We get training and our names are put on a list near the first aid kit and AED so we are the first line before the professionals get there.

But I'm not an EMT or anything. I was thinking about volunteering locally for the ambulance squad but I have young kids and they take up ALL of my time.

I just like to be prepared and help out.

Age wise I see a lot of older/retired people in the ambulance squad. Not sure if they joined a long time ago but being retired they have the time I guess.

Why....give logical reasons and I'm sure we'll all entertain them....... Again I seek a logical debate not hyperbole

here is the deal... and I fully understand where it comes from... for whatever reason you have been conditioned from some point in your life to feel safe in your home..... which was entirely reasonable somewhere at some point in time... you have lived your life with the understanding that in your home you are granted a certain level of comfort.. the time to safely kick your feet back and not be operating within threat level "red" with body armor on... I get it.. the reason I get it is I live near family in PA that does not even lock their doors at night.. and has guns in a glass gun case... you know why? because historically they have felt that comfort.... and I can appreciate that we live in very different worlds... that is the comfort they find and they are entitled to it...

I have spent a decent portion of my life understanding the odds... realizing that a burglary or home invasion was EXTREMELY unlikely.... lottery winning unlikely... but unlike the lottery it costs me nothing to play... 

one day I came back from work... to my home that I worked my ass off to have... 50-60 hours a week... to find broken glass... a half kicked in back door.. and a terrified family pet.... I have never in my life been so upset... not when my own mother died.... what I felt at that point is that I could bust my ass to no end... only to have some scumbag piece of trash violate me at any moment... I could have been home... my loved ones could have been home... fortunately.. even then I was a little OCD.. I had replaced the rear normal lock with a double key lock.. so when the scumbag smashed the glass and reached in.. he could not simply unlock the door..

YOU can be a VICTIM at ANY time... your loved ones could be victims at ANY time...  some strong.. armed.. athletic men.. planning to do you harm could throw a planter through your sliding glass door and have entry to your home in seconds... having a firearm in that scenario could be the difference between someone making a difference and watching their family be victimized.. 

I do not live in fear.. I live prepared.. I spend more time at the gun range than most law enforcement... I do not own guns as a hobby.. I own them as tools.. they are tools to preserve my liberty... and tools to preserve my safety... I am vigilant so I can be relaxed... as I type this to you I spent the last several hours playing with my nieces and nephews.... with a gun just close enough for me.. but far enough away from them.. it was a happy peaceful night... but had it gone any other way... at least I would have a chance..

victims do not planned to be murdered... raped.. robbed.. the reason is because the people that DO plan for that stuff.. generally stand a chance against their attackers.. 

so again.. if you are comfortable in your home.. because it will never happen to you... then great... I hope it does not.. but let me tell you.. I think your lack of preparation is foolish at best... having at least  a handgun accessible at all times legally allowed is not some huge inconvenience.. 

here is the deal... and I fully understand where it comes from... for whatever reason you have been conditioned from some point in your life to feel safe in your home..... which was entirely reasonable somewhere at some point in time... you have lived your life with the understanding that in your home you are granted a certain level of comfort.. the time to safely kick your feet back and not be operating within threat level "red" with body armor on... I get it.. the reason I get it is I live near family in PA that does not even lock their doors at night.. and has guns in a glass gun case... you know why? because historically they have felt that comfort.... and I can appreciate that we live in very different worlds... that is the comfort they find and they are entitled to it...

I have spent a decent portion of my life understanding the odds... realizing that a burglary or home invasion was EXTREMELY unlikely.... lottery winning unlikely... but unlike the lottery it costs me nothing to play... 

one day I came back from work... to my home that I worked my ass off to have... 50-60 hours a week... to find broken glass... a half kicked in back door.. and a terrified family pet.... I have never in my life been so upset... not when my own mother died.... what I felt at that point is that I could bust my ass to no end... only to have some scumbag piece of trash violate me at any moment... I could have been home... my loved ones could have been home... fortunately.. even then I was a little OCD.. I had replaced the rear normal lock with a double key lock.. so when the scumbag smashed the glass and reached in.. he could not simply unlock the door..

YOU can be a VICTIM at ANY time... your loved ones could be victims at ANY time...  some strong.. armed.. athletic men.. planning to do you harm could throw a planter through your sliding glass door and have entry to your home in seconds... having a firearm in that scenario could be the difference between someone making a difference and watching their family be victimized.. 

I do not live in fear.. I live prepared.. I spend more time at the gun range than most law enforcement... I do not own guns as a hobby.. I own them as tools.. they are tools to preserve my liberty... and tools to preserve my safety... I am vigilant so I can be relaxed... as I type this to you I spent the last several hours playing with my nieces and nephews.... with a gun just close enough for me.. but far enough away from them.. it was a happy peaceful night... but had it gone any other way... at least I would have a chance..

victims do not planned to be murdered... raped.. robbed.. the reason is because the people that DO plan for that stuff.. generally stand a chance against their attackers.. 

so again.. if you are comfortable in your home.. because it will never happen to you... then great... I hope it does not.. but let me tell you.. I think your lack of preparation is foolish at best... having at least  a handgun accessible at all times legally allowed is not some huge inconvenience.. 

Very articulate. Guns are indeed tools. I too do not live in fear or paranoia. I live in preparedness, and it is not troublesome or inconvenient. Straping a 20lb fire extinguisher to your leg is not a proper analogy.

Good night all, and peace!

If it is always on you, you never have to think about where is the closest gun--it is right there. Just don't forget about it when you go to fetch the mail, or on an errand.

Hopefully you never have to use it.

Buy if it always in the same place you don't have to worry either.

I have handgun in a concealed lock box on every floor and a shotgun for the overnights.

Sure it might not be in the best place for all imaginable scenarios, but when they live in the same place forever there is still a surprise element for those that don't know where they are. I know home invaders like to rush, but unless they stack up like spec ops I still know my limits of time and action against other humans bent on aggression.

Plus, with the wife around, there is good reason to think we could get two firearms out ICOE.

Might be the smartest thing said here to date.

And, for what it's worth, golf and I are on the same page. Last time I carried constantly was in the middle east in a country we occupied. New Jersey is not that place.

Interesting perspectives.

Were I to carry at home, it would be for one simple reason: practice.

If SHTF I wouldn't want to be in the position of strapping on a condition 1 pistol at length for the first time. There would be enough other things in my environment that required my full attention.

Sorry guys, I started the thread to ask HOW people carry at home and why they do it THAT WAY; not to get into debates as to whether we should carry at home or not.

BUT; some of the comments and debated points were very interesting.

My "conditioning" started on a small,politically unstable Caribbean Island where we had 2 major revolutions to overthrow the government by the military. 3 so called "black power" uprisings where we had a dawn to dusk curfew, feared for our lives because we were "White", heard gunfire every night for weeks with my mother sleeping with a .22 under her pillow for years and we practiced a safe procedure should an intruder break in by hiding in a large closet with a sharp cutlass for protection.......so because of that conditioning,living in suburban New Jersey where we have a better chance of setting the house on fire burning scented candles than a armed push in......I think I can be rather casual, you see Vlad I've lived the scenario you all only imagine.

I've lived the scenario you all only imagine.

Actually - all you speak about is the FEAR of this happening.  None of the above indicates that despite the climate that it actually HAPPENED to you.  While your odds may have been better, the fact remains that we all have a higher probability of having a home invasion occur even here in NJ than we do winning the lottery and yet there are people out there ever day playing the lottery.

Actually - all you speak about is the FEAR of this happening.  None of the above indicates that despite the climate that it actually HAPPENED to you.  While your odds may have been better, the fact remains that we all have a higher probability of having a home invasion occur even here in NJ than we do winning the lottery and yet there are people out there ever day playing the lottery.

We were in deed lucky....as for fear, is it not the same fear that drives someone to carry in their homes even considering the astronomical  odds of any incident warranting an immediate armed response? I've come to terms with my fear and refuse to be beholding to it.

I've lived the scenario you all only imagine.

Because no one else on this forum has been to a war zone or had to fear for their safety except you. None of us have been outside quaint suburban, NJ.

Speaking on my own behalf it's not fear that drives me to carry. Is fear the reason you keep loaded guns in your house? It's simply the most comfortable way for me to keep a loaded firearm in the house. I have a very similar feeling to you. You keep your guns loaded around the house and I carry mine. I feel more comfortable carrying it; and by carry it I mean most of the time I just put my pistol down in the room I'm in.  I don't see a big difference between mine being an arms length away, and yours being in a corner or the next room. I assume you see what I do as an active thing and what you do as a passive thing but the result is very similar. I don't feel comfortable leaving a loaded gun anywhere that isn't securely locked or in my direct control. I could keep one gun on each floor locked in quick retrieval safes but I see that as unnecessary. I can just have one gun I like and keep it unlocked and under my control.

Yeah. Is what it is. To each his own. Just dont shoot your foot off And be sane to it all. We dont need any more stupid bad gun publicity. Im thinking just be safe. If you carry loaded at home you have no children. If you do. Then you should absolutely !!!!! Not have a loaded weapon available. Yeah yeah. My kids know not to touch it and ive talked and shown them the repercussions. Thats bs. Think smart be aware and think ahead. Firearm accidents arent by accident. They are by stupidity. Dont be one of THEM. Does obama carry in his house. I wonder?? You never know. Words to live by.

My "conditioning" started on a small,politically unstable Caribbean Island where we had 2 major revolutions to overthrow the government by the military. 3 so called "black power" uprisings where we had a dawn to dusk curfew, feared for our lives because we were "White", heard gunfire every night for weeks with my mother sleeping with a .22 under her pillow for years and we practiced a safe procedure should an intruder break in by hiding in a large closet with a sharp cutlass for protection.......so because of that conditioning,living in suburban New Jersey where we have a better chance of setting the house on fire burning scented candles than a armed push in......I think I can be rather casual, you see Vlad I've lived the scenario you all only imagine.

that makes complete sense.. going from hell.. to stability has made you feel that you are so far safer.. being concerned is illogical..

like I said.. hey if you feel good about what you are doing.. then by all means keep it going..

I on the other hand will ALWAYS have a loaded gun handy.. and ideally I will waste away into the earth before I ever HAVE to use it..

only difference being if I DO need it.. it will be there.. and be ready.. 

Carry at home is a function of your risk profile...I see some folks keep a loaded AR with them all day (I guess in the bathroom too :-0)...All I can say, you can never be 100% safe. If I lived in a so called "bad" nieghborgood I would keep an AR handy also. But given I live in a low crime area, but still recognize that one in a million event could happen, I always have a pistol at hand...SG, AR, broken out in time of crisis like blackouts, etc. For us in NJ, much more at risk outside your home where you have minimum right and tools to defend yourself.

Its so obvious here the disagreement really isn't about guns. It's about different interpretations about "the odds". For example, someone here already said "what is the probability?"

And thats an important distinction, the difference between probability and SEVERITY.

Anybody who is into math, or portfolio management (think your retirement), or insurance underwriting. There are two risks, probability risk and loss risk. Some "events" happen with more frequency but the loss is small (the flat tire example). Other events happen rarely but the loss is catastrophic (home invasion).

If an estate planner said to me "you can earn 20% a year but it's 50 50 you might be up or down 20% most people understand those risks. Now let's step it up. Your retirement account 10% year return with historical probability 80% never a loss. BUT A 1% CHANCE OF A 100% LOSS. But you are able to buy another investment that loses 1% every year but pays off if you incur that 100% loss "highly improbable" scenario stated before.

Some people never care to cover the "highly improbable" but others say "if I'm able to safeguard the 100% loss im fine with paying the 1%.

What i see in this threads debate is some care more about probability and some people care more about SEVERITY. The flat tire and fire extinguisher are not SEVERE. Home invasion is SEVERE. How you want to insure it is up to the individual.

So really the only thing being disagreed here should be how one feels about RISK. Whether you think carrying a gun all day is uncomfortable or worrying about shooting your foot off is not constructive. Thats personal preference.

So just in summary: some guys cover the catstophic and some guys play the odds. The only time you ever find out who is right is 50 years later.

Pretty good analogy Mr "Engineer" :-)...

Another way to look at it is swiming in say Florida....Plenty of sharks. Low probability of any specific individual being attacked, but the results could be disasterous. You can try swimming with chain mail ;-); or just say F.I., forget about it, and accept the risk. Or something in between. You can not have 100% security and still have all your freedom at the same time.