Parker

Coyote kills pet dog in Ringwood

Keep an eye on your pets.

http://www.northjersey.com/news/226801761_Coyote_kills_pet_dog_in_Ringwood.html?mobile=1&ic=1&iphone=1

Coyote kills pet dog in Ringwood
Tuesday, October 8, 2013 Last updated: Tuesday October 8, 2013, 10:40 AM
BY DONNA ROLANDO
STAFF WRITER
Suburban Trends
coyote_100913_st_tif_.jpg

RINGWOOD - Police report that a coyote claimed the life of a Chihuahua at a Skyline Lakes Drive property last Sunday morning. The incident is being described more as a case of wildlife following its instincts rather than a crazed animal on the prowl.

A homeowner on Skyline Lakes Drive called police on Sunday, Oct. 6, to report that he had let two of his dogs out into the yard at 5 a.m. and they were chasing a few deer around on the property when a coyote came, grabbed the Chihuahua and took off with it, said Detective Sgt. Paul Rothlauf. The homeowner did not know the coyote was in the area when he let the two dogs go outside, he added.

Rothlauf suspects that the coyote may have also had his sights on the deer, but then saw an easier target in the tiny canine.

The homeowner told Patrolman Douglas Faber that when he later found the body of the Chihuahua, it was beyond help.

Although caution should be exercised when coyotes are around - and the state Department of Environmental Protection issues tips on sharing the neighborhood with them - Rothlauf said that most of the time, residents don't even see them, and "if they see you, they take off."

Known as scavengers, he said, coyotes typically roam the woods looking for an easy meal.

"They're all over Ringwood. Probably 99 percent of the time you don't see them," he said.

According to a Facebook post by the local police about the incident, "Coyotes normally feed on small deer, rodents, and other animals, which the coyote was probably in the area hunting. This homeowner did nothing wrong and probably, like many of us who have dogs, let the dog out to do its business. Our hearts go out to the dog and its owner."

Since bears, coyotes, and foxes do live in this sylvan borough, the police's Facebook page recommends caution at times in living with wildlife.

The following guidelines from the DEP website, which are also available on the Ringwood police Facebook page, can help reduce the likelihood of conflicts with coyotes:

· Never feed a coyote. Deliberately feeding coyotes puts pets and other residents in the neighborhood at risk.

· Feeding pet cats and/or feral (wild) cats outdoors can attract coyotes. The coyotes feed on the pet food and also prey upon the cats.

· Put garbage in tightly closed containers that cannot be tipped over.

· Remove sources of water, especially in dry climates.

· Bring pets in at night.

· Put away bird feeders at night to avoid attracting rodents and other coyote prey.

· Provide secure enclosures for rabbits, poultry, and other farm animals.

· Pick up fallen fruit and cover compost piles.

· Although extremely rare, coyotes have been known to attack humans. Parents should monitor their children, even in familiar surroundings, such as backyards.

· Install motion-sensitive lighting around the house.

· Clear brush and dense weeds from around dwellings to reduce protective cover for coyotes and limit rodents that might attract coyotes.

· If coyotes are present, make sure they know they're not welcome. Make loud noises, blast a canned air siren, throw rocks, or spray them with a garden hose.

Residents who are attacked by a coyote, or see a coyote in the daytime that doesn't show any fear of humans, should immediately contact their local police and the Division of Fish and Wildlife at 908-735-8793. Outside of normal business hours, call the DEP Hotline at 877-WARN-DEP.

There was a coyote den I found at a house in Westfield. Fish and Wildlife came out and trapped a mother and one pup. I have also had many calls for outdoor cats that have gone missing in Morris TWP. I have also seen or heard quite a few at night in Morris TWP

Pick on me all you want, but my mom got a chihuahua when I went off to college. They're actually great dogs. 

My relatives have two...one I swear is one of the vibrating retards that barks and snarls at everything and nothing...the other is a sweet little dog that is a joy to be around and play with...  I'd happily own the latter dog...

It is a terrible situation and I feel sorry for the owner (and the dog, of course)...it's a painful situation to lose your pet, even worse when a young and healthy pet dies unexpectedly...

Forked river has a large population in the Bamber Lake section, Neighbor's cat was taken off his deck one night. Heard the feeding pups yipping in the woods. Domestic dog usually does not have a chance. Brother in law was bow hunting and a pack followed him to his stand. There are a lot less deer in Lacey. Fawns are taken.

So it appears that the entire state is getting overrun by these pests.  

There is a small band of them on reservoir property only a 1/2 mi. from my house. They occasionally come into our neighborhood at night to hunt cottontails.

Keep an eye on your little kids too:

And any other small targets of opportunity.

My white dog hauls ass like a rabbit and could easily be mistaken for one(an 18lb one anyway), so I've taken to carrying a sidearm during his 5am morning constitutional.  If nothing else, a loud bang might run 'em off.

BTW, I think its dumb to let animals run around unleashed around sunrise and sunset. Especially if its smaller than a Coyote, even though a pack of coyotes could take out a German Shepard.

That being said... I'm surprised you haven't seen a case of a cat/dog/ratdog like mine getting picked up by a coyote, and the owner saying fugg NJ and exterminating the pack with an AR.

I've often seen fox coming home from my in-laws' house in Warren (Somerset County) after a late night of watching boxing with my father in-law. Few years ago they had a black bear wandering around.

Foxes go to your inlaws house to watch boxing?

I back up to a reservoir (I think the same reservoir Parker mentioned) and hear the coyotes all the time. A couple years ago at dawn I was awakened by a ruckus outside my window. Looked out an was able to make out 2 smaller animals chasing a larger one. It was barely light and my window was foggy so I didn't know what it was but pretty sure it was coyotes. I went outside and saw this guy swimming in the pool. Note the broken jaw and chewed up hindquarter in the second pic. The lawn and planting beds surrounding the pool was torn up and I found a nice chunk of meat on the pavers. Later that night I found him bedded down against the house. He got up and took off. Never saw him again, but found out the coyotes finished him off and his carcass was found a couple blocks away.

attacked_deer_1.jpg

attacked_deer_2.jpg

Nope, def a coyote attack. Heard it it going on right outside my window. The aftermath in the yard was extensive. Blood and meat chunks strewn about. Paw and hoof tracks everywhere and torn up plants. I saw the blurr of the animals fighting through a hazy window.

Meat Chunk...
meatchunk.jpg