302w

Horse Cops

I see Cops riding horses down Newark streets a lot. I've always wondered, how effective are they? What do they really do? I'm not 'hating' on them or anything, I just don't see much of a point in it. A Harley is a lot cheaper and effective. 

They can go places regular vehicles can't, such as parks. It also gives them the ability to see over the top of large crowds, much better view than from the ground. A horse is also a very intimidating animal and can be effective in crowd control I assume. As long as they take good care of the horses I see no problem with it.

Surveillance and crowd control are two of the functions mounted police excel. If the officer sees a crime the perpatrator is never going to outrun a horse. I've seen mounted police run down pursesnatchers and the like several times in Central Park and the Mall in DC.

I don't know about Newark but NYPD has a 3 month traing course for horses and riders. Assignment to the Mounted Division in any police department is a coveted and sought after position. There are only about 75 officers assigned to it in NYPD. Even in times of budget cuts cities with mounted units find ways to save them. IIRC Newark's was saved by private donations a few years ago.

There are a lot of things mounted police are best at that can't be done from a Harley, scooter, or Segway.

Also community oriented policing comes into play, little kids want to see the horse end up talking to the officer and the kid learns to like/trust cops due to the positive experience.  That coupled with crowd control makes mounted police a win-win for the community.

A guy I worked with once got "pulled over" by a horse cop in Newark for an illegal right on red.

I was pulled over by a mounted officer in Minneapolis. I was making a left turn from the left lane which unbeknownst to me at the time was the lane for buses and bicycles He let me off with a warning because I was from out of town.

It still felt awkward making a left from the right lane though.

Philly has horse cops as well.  I see them here at school all the time.  They were out when we had a mini riot after making the sweet 16 last year.  Nobody wants to mess with a horse.  Also I've been told the horses are trained to walk by bringing their feet up high, not sure what the exact purpose of that is but that's what I was told.

Its also pretty awesome to see an animal walk past city traffic that is taller than most SUVs

Philly has horse cops as well.  I see them here at school all the time.  They were out when we had a mini riot after making the sweet 16 last year.  Nobody wants to mess with a horse.  Also I've been told the horses are trained to walk by bringing their feet up high, not sure what the exact purpose of that is but that's what I was told.

Its also pretty awesome to see an animal walk past city traffic that is taller than most SUVs

If you don't mind saying, what school are you at?

The ones I see in Newark always seem to be lounging at intersections, especially close by the grade schools.

I was actually going to make this same thread but always forget by the time I get onto my computer.  Some good insight ITT though.  Much appreciation to the knowledgeable responders and thread starter.

Also community oriented policing comes into play, little kids want to see the horse end up talking to the officer and the kid learns to like/trust cops due to the positive experience.  That coupled with crowd control makes mounted police a win-win for the community.

WAY back when i was a little kid i was amazed at a horse mounted officer during some political fair... i stopped in amazement and when i turned around i had lost my family... needless to say the first person i approached was the officer. and he helped me track down my family. To be fair i had a way of wondering off when i was a kid when something grabbed my attention.