gunguy1960

AR vs. lever action reliability

I would STILL pick it even without tools... I have put more ammo than I can carry through my AR with ZERO failures... run the gun to DEATH without cleaning it... still runs..

mag changes with an AR are going to be WAY faster... and to have a fair comparison what lever action caliber are you comparing.. 

As soon as you know which is more reliable, a coil spring or a leaf spring, the question answers itself. You should see the mean round count to failure for lever internal parts.

What lever action today uses leaf springs?

The ejector on the Marlin is a leaf spring. Uh, and the loading gate too. Firing pin is floating with no spring. Hammer and trigger are coil and music wire springs. Magazine tube is coil spring. I sometimes forgot.

Additionally the question did not specify which lever gun. I have one, it was made in 1954. There is a lot of leaf springs in it. It also throws brass in my face, can be short stroked, can't use pointed bullets, holds 7 rounds, it is slow to load, can't fire it from prone without gymnastics for cycling the action, etc.

It is a handy rifle and I wouldn't mind using it for hunting for fun.

Wow, cant believe this is even a discussion.  Lever all day any day.  Manual operated vs DI....  A round that is proven itself as a reliable round for deer vs a round that many states say is illegal to use for deer because it isn't large enough.  The benefits are definately leaning 1 way, proven reliability of a lever gun with a prove track record for big game, vs a gun that craps where it eats and they just keep blaming all its issues on ammunition since the day it was fielded. 

Wow, cant believe this is even a discussion.  Lever all day any day.  Manual operated vs DI....  A round that is proven itself as a reliable round for deer vs a round that many states say is illegal to use for deer because it isn't large enough.  The benefits are definately leaning 1 way, proven reliability of a lever gun with a prove track record for big game, vs a gun that craps where it eats and they just keep blaming all its issues on ammunition since the day it was fielded. 

All good reasons why the US marines storm beaches with 1894's.

All good reasons why the US marines storm beaches with 1894's.

Shhhhh.... Vlad G...... Don't let reality interfere with fantasy! Don't you know that the AR is a glorified .22 that is made by Mattel and is the worst gun ever made. Just as any soldier and they will tell you. It jams [sic] all the time and that teeny tiny bullet couldn't hurt a mouse. :rofl:

will remember this if there is ever a deer Apocalypse.. 

In reality, in a SHTF scenario, what exactly would John Q. Citizen be storming? It's any interesting discussion, one weapon vs. the other, but the chances of storming anything or establishing a defensive position for a standoff is rather moot, if not suicidal.

In a bad situation I will call upon my great-grandmother's Lakota Sioux skills and shapeshift into a coyote, slipping away into the night. :icon_eek:

Wow, cant believe this is even a discussion. Lever all day any day. Manual operated vs DI.... A round that is proven itself as a reliable round for deer vs a round that many states say is illegal to use for deer because it isn't large enough. The benefits are definately leaning 1 way, proven reliability of a lever gun with a prove track record for big game, vs a gun that craps where it eats and they just keep blaming all its issues on ammunition since the day it was fielded.

The only reason you don't see .223 permitted is that you start having to specify bullet construction, weight, and velocity to a group of diverse individuals, some of whom have trouble identifying the sticky side of tape.

actually at one point in time they did, it was called the 1895 winchester.......

The Winchester built M1895 Lee-Navy was a straight pull bolt action rifle, not a lever gun. (Issued to the Dept of the Navy in 1895, Marines didn't get it until 1897)

I can find no reference to Marines ever being issued a lever action rifle.

I know TR bought some and issued them to his fellow officer in the Rough Riders but that is about it...