Jaws

Question for boaters

I wouldnt buy it.....

I used to be a boat owner...... NOT a cheap hobby.  Was just too much for me.  Enjoyed it when I used it.....  but just too much money

I've been a boat owner for around 15 years.  So how do you feel about buying a used gun off a private seller, Or do you go to a LGS to buy one... Just askin ???

I owned a boat for a number of years. CC yamaha outboard. I can tell you the day i sold it was not one of the best days of owning a boat(for me).

Now i'm searching for another one (used), I won't buy a boat that i cant have checked out and has just about all i want on it already.If you plan on doing any late fall early spring fishing,

get an outboard. They are much easier to winterize and can be used year round . I wont buy a boat without a Yamaha outboard, IMHO the best outboard motor bar none!

I've been a boat owner for around 15 years.  So how do you feel about buying a used gun off a private seller, Or do you go to a LGS to buy one... Just askin ???

Sorry but there are a LOT less things to go wrong with a gun than with a boat.  Hearing the engine run doesn't tell you much either.  There's still a transmission, gears, controls cables, trim cylinders, hoses, pumps, etc etc.

Yes, if you're going to do it, don't cheap out - get a survey done - or buy new.  Either way, realize that unlike cars that can often go very very long without maintenance, there's no "pulling over to the side of the road" in a boat, an airplane, or a helicopter (the last one especially).

A lot of Sandy boats with very minor damage were totaled by insurance companies. Don't let the fact that it may be a Sandy boat be the end all decision. You may very well find that boat your looking for at a pretty good price.

A good surveyor is your friend.

BoatUS is an excellent source for information. Check their website for a list of BoatUS approved surveyors. There are several good ones to pick from locally.

A lot of Sandy boats with very minor damage were totaled by insurance companies. Don't let the fact that it may be a Sandy boat be the end all decision. You may very well find that boat your looking for at a pretty good price.

A good surveyor is your friend.

BoatUS is an excellent source for information. Check their website for a list of BoatUS approved surveyors. There are several good ones to pick from locally.

Thanks, I will look for a surveyor. Didn't even know before I started this thread that they existed. Good to know.

The problem with that is that you will probably not be able to finance or insure a boat with a salvage title?  If you can, it will involve a lot of work/documentation and in the end, it is still a salvage boat.  You may be stuck with it forever.  It would be like buying a Bayliner?

Jaws I run a 23' Contender that is fairly old in boat terms. I bought an older high end boat knowing I would have to do work on it. I would recommend you hit the boat show in AC and find out what you like, then start the search, I would have no problem buying a boat from an owner, just have the boat checked out by a pro. I would recommend Sailfish they make a nice boat at a good price. Just watch some boats you are buying a name. I trailer my boat for the simple fact is sometimes the fish bite up north and some times they are a lot farther south. Just food for thought, its easier and cheaper to drive to the hot inlet then run a boat from say Barnaget to Shark River. Trust me I know first hand many times over. Also check out thehulltruth.com lots of good info there. You are going to be hooked or find it draining of time and funds. To me its an addiction, just cant seem to spend enough time on the water. If you have any direct questions I'd be happy to help you out.

DonC

The problem with that is that you will probably not be able to finance or insure a boat with a salvage title?  If you can, it will involve a lot of work/documentation and in the end, it is still a salvage boat.  You may be stuck with it forever.  It would be like buying a Bayliner?

Very true.

Jaws I run a 23' Contender that is fairly old in boat terms. I bought an older high end boat knowing I would have to do work on it. I would recommend you hit the boat show in AC and find out what you like, then start the search, I would have no problem buying a boat from an owner, just have the boat checked out by a pro. I would recommend Sailfish they make a nice boat at a good price. Just watch some boats you are buying a name.t to I trailer my boat for the simple fact is sometimes the fish bite up north and some times they are a lot farther south. Just food for thought, its easier and cheaper to drive to the hot inlet then run a boat from say Barnage Shark River. Trust me I know first hand many times over. Also check out thehulltruth.com lots of good info there. You are going to be hooked or find it draining of time and funds. To me its an addiction, just cant seem to spend enough time on the water. If you have any direct questions I'd be happy to help you out.

DonC

True and true.

I preferred to trailer . When im out on the water chasing stripers the rest of the world could blow up around me and i wouldn't  know.

My family has owned boats for 40+ years.  Mostly saltwater boats, with a few fresh water boats.

We currently own a 14' Mirrocraft, 24' 2013 Grady white and a 35' houseboat.  

Realize that the purchase price of a used boat is about half to three quarters of what you'll ultimately spend on the boat to get it as sea worthy as you'd like it.

I wouldn't buy ANY boat that's more than 5 years old, unless you're buying an old boat to buy an old boat or the boat has been completely reconditioned by a professional.

My family has owned boats for 40+ years.  Mostly saltwater boats, with a few fresh water boats.

We currently own a 14' Mirrocraft, 24' 2013 Grady white and a 35' houseboat.  

Realize that the purchase price of a used boat is about half to three quarters of what you'll ultimately spend on the boat to get it as sea worthy as you'd like it.

I wouldn't buy ANY boat that's more than 5 years old, unless you're buying an old boat to buy an old boat or the boat has been completely reconditioned by a professional.

Mark - Simply ludicrous!

Mark - Simply ludicrous!

I spend my weekends in the summer at a saltwater Marina on the Bass River.    The amount of money people end up throwing at used boats is insane.   No one, and I mean NO ONE buying a used boat beyond an aluminum whatever with a 15hp or less motor gets away without dumping a whole ton of money into the boat.

Saturday mornings I usually see the part timers in their new(used) boats unloading the toolboxes to work on them.     The salt air destroys everything. 

That is another reason I trailer my boat, stuff breaks. When it's home in the driveway I can tinker during the week and she's ready come the weekend. I know guys with new boats the have problems too. You said salt kills everything, I keptmy boat in the water for a fall striper season and the next year every electrical pump and electronics were bad. Never had that problem in all the years with it on the trailer.

DonC

The 2 happiest days in a boaters life, the day he buys it and the day he sells it. If your buying used plan on throwing money at it no matter how good it runs during a test run. Best of luck.

Only a boat owner can appreciate this statement.

Someone I know saw me the first day on my new (used) boat and told one of my employees who was a member at the marina "I've never seen Michael seem so happy."

Flash forward 10 years I actually giggled as I watched it drive away on someone else's trailer.

Only a boat owner can appreciate this statement.

Someone I know saw me the first day on my new (used) boat and told one of my employees who was a member at the marina "I've never seen Michael seem so happy."

Flash forward 10 years I actually giggled as I watched it drive away on someone else's trailer.

Yep.....

I was never so happy to see one of my hobbys leave my driveway..... 

Lot of hate for the boat :) I understand it's not a cheap hobby, I understand I'll need to sink money into a boat. That's all good, being able to take my family on the boat and go fish or cruise around whenever we want will be great. My kids are very outdoorsy and I want to stimulate that as much as I can, my enjoying it is a bonus. If owning the boat sucks then it's a lesson learned, all good.

Thanks for all the pointers.

Lot of hate for the boat :) I understand it's not a cheap hobby, I understand I'll need to sink money into a boat. That's all good, being able to take my family on the boat and go fish or cruise around whenever we want will be great. My kids are very outdoorsy and I want to stimulate that as much as I can, my enjoying it is a bonus. If owning the boat sucks then it's a lesson learned, all good.

Thanks for all the pointers.

As far as the "family" thing...... +10000 ...... you will make some great family memories with it.....   Go For It!!!  Just go into the hobby eyes wide open.....