supranatural

Should I say anything?

My brother, who also shoots but does so with his buddies, frequently goes to upstate NY to do shooting with his friends, some of whom are LEO.  I noticed in a picture he texted me with the text "this is how we roll" one of his friends walking with a pair of AR-15 type rifles across a deck, muzzles pointed down with a dog next to him.  It's clear in the picture that he has his finger on each trigger.  There's no question in the pic that he has "not acquired a target" unless he means to make mincemeat of the deck...to me this is a pretty blatant disregard or ignorance of the 4th rule of gun safety.  My question is should I mention it to him or just leave it be?  And in general, should I point out things like this if I see this going on at the range, while hunting, etc?

In my opinion it's your obligation to say something.

If someone gets injured how will you feel if you didn't say anything.

At least tell your brother to watch his A$$ around those nitwits.

Yup.

If your brother is a NJ resident, I think he also ought to be concerned taking AR's into NY - LEO friends or not.

Yup.

I would also add that you might not want to hang around those folks when they have firearms. Your call.

C

Bob - That's a separate issue if an issue at all ( I don't know NY laws). Address the safety.

The safety is a given. Ignorance of NY's SAFE law could also put a major hurt on him.

My brother, who also shoots but does so with his buddies, frequently goes to upstate NY to do shooting with his friends, some of whom are LEO.  I noticed in a picture he texted me with the text "this is how we roll" one of his friends walking with a pair of AR-15 type rifles across a deck, muzzles pointed down with a dog next to him.  It's clear in the picture that he has his finger on each trigger.  There's no question in the pic that he has "not acquired a target" unless he means to make mincemeat of the deck...to me this is a pretty blatant disregard or ignorance of the 4th rule of gun safety.  My question is should I mention it to him or just leave it be?  And in general, should I point out things like this if I see this going on at the range, while hunting, etc?

At the Ranges I go to this type of activity isn't tolerated.  In fact, I've seen folks get called-out for it, deny it ever happened, and then get thrown out of a club!

EVERYBODY is a Range Officer (even if you don't have a piece of paper to say so), so unless you can grow a set of BALLS and do the right thing and TELL folks to stop acting stupidly when you see them SCREW the Pooch, you should sell all your guns because you're just as much a part of THE PROBLEM!  I don't care if you're 12 or 112, IF you see ME doing something STUPID I expect YOU to tell me about it, PERIOD!  

The only good accident is the one that's PREVENTED from happening.  If one of his friends pumps an errant round into your Brother, even if he survives in a wheelchair, how would you feel?  For you to even ask us if you should say something is disturbing to me in and of itself!

Speak up, you might SAVE A LIFE!

Dave

At the Ranges I go to this type of activity isn't tolerated.  In fact, I've seen folks get called-out for it, deny it ever happened, and then get thrown out of a club!

I was working a sanctioned IDPA match and we had a Master class shooter come to the line. The stage was a simple support hand only stage where the shooter started with gun in hand at low ready, safety off, and finger outside the trigger guard. This shooter (not the first and not the last) put his finger inside the trigger guard and I called "Finger!". He pulled his finger out very quickly but then called "My finger is off the trigger". I was not going to argue. I told him "It was on there when I called it".

The lesson - even the supposed top-class shooters get it wrong and will argue that they didn't.

If you do speak to your brother (and I think you should - just to make him aware and to start him looking for it himself) let him know that he should expect them to deny it if he calls them out.

anybody who says "this is how we roll" is probably not worth trying to explain things to... 

that's the first thing i thought as well.  to which i'd probably reply with some way of making my point that they are being totally unsafe, while looking like total douches.  but thats just how i roll. 

I've been in this situation twice with two different friends sending me pictures from vacation in gun friendly states. I commented, "Cool rifle/smg. Crap trigger discipline."  One acknowledged their bad form, and the other asked what 'trigger discipline was' which opened the door for their enlightenment. This has worked for me after the fact.  In the moment at the range I've said, "your behavior is endangering you, me, and everyone around us. Don't be that guy."

I think u def shud mention esp since ur family is involved. If I'm with group of ppl that I don't really know, I usually just mention something to the most respected / experienced / high ranking person in non challenging and diplomatic manner. Always worked.

If I'm with my own friends and family , I used to say something every single time I saw them break the safety rules... To the point of telling my cousin I will break his face next time he points a firearm at somebody. U wudnt belive how much better everybody around me got in regards to that issue.

I usually don't make decisions based on a picture or a video for that matter. I would make it known that I see it but I would not assume that photo shows anything other then glimpse into the past. Look at it this way, if you take a picture of someone reaching out to grab a person as said person is falling off the side of a cliff, it may look as is the person trying to save a life is actually ending a life. The circumstances of why his finger is on the trigger may be less evil then one may think. He could of been simply showing someone what not to do or he could of been putting everyone at risk.