jackandjill

Firearms as collection / investment

Does anyone here see firearms as candidate  for collection / investment (long term ofcourse) .

If so, any pointers as to what to look for ? Appreciate it.

Perhaps, in a "free" state (i.e. anywhere but NY, NJ, etc.- where, at the stroke of a pen, the "investment" you've made could be wiped away... (ie. mag bans, gun bans, etc.) )...  I know this kind of thing is what's keeping me from entering the "long gun" phase of my avocation....  :(

Just my thoughts.

Myself I shoot all of my Guns, whether its Pistol, Rifle, or Shotguns. That being said, I know of people that have safe Queens.

Now Safe Queens can be 2 things, A certain firearm that was bought for the purpose of potential investment, or A firearm that just sits in the safe because its not really liked by the owner for whatever reason.

Myself ther are A couple  Pistols I could think of, That if I ran across I might buy for the right price to maybe turnover at A later time.

The main one I would mention would be A West German matching SSN P228.

Just food for thought. you will probably get lots of replies.

Collecting firearms for profit can be a demanding hobby.  It is like investing in the stock market.  Who/What to buy.  Storage issues loom high, from proper temperature, humidity, to legal issues.  I would venture to say the risks would be too great for the average collector.  So in a work no.

Nothing says a piece in your collection would not appreciate in value.  I have a couple in mine that when I purchased them I never thought they would be worth what they are today.  Got the same amount of "dogs" also, so I guess it all balances out.

Perhaps, in a "free" state (i.e. anywhere but NY, NJ, etc.- where, at the stroke of a pen, the "investment" you've made could be wiped away... (ie. mag bans, gun bans, etc.) )...  I know this kind of thing is what's keeping me from entering the "long gun" phase of my avocation....  :(

My thoughts are along similar lines in that it doesn't seem to take a lot for a single event to make your collection go away, especially in this state. I'm not sure what happens to my "collection" if I get involved in a defensive gun use? Do all my firearms get taken until everything gets cleared up? What if it isn't resolved in my favor? What if someone decides to falsely report me for threatening them with a gun?

Wasn't there something recently in the news in CT about someone with a massive gun collection who had everything confiscated after reporting a burglary? Police responded, looked around his place and discovered model rocket hobby materials, and arrested him for making bombs, or something along those lines.

I dont hunt but like to shoot various firearms for the fun of it and importance of  keeping 2A alive.  I am not looking for safe queens. Want something that I can shoot, learn, enjoy and keep the value and tradition going.   I watched various videos of "5 guns everyone should own", got them and shooting them.  Looking for the next fix :-) if you will.

I know the question is very generic (like asking where to buy a house) but hoping to learn from others here.

I collect for the enjoyment of owning many different firearms. The value of my collection will come from volume and from good deals I am able to act on quickly. If I can get whst I feel is a good deal I buy. This is why I have so many and even more on my list to get

My thoughts are along similar lines in that it doesn't seem to take a lot for a single event to make your collection go away, especially in this state. I'm not sure what happens to my "collection" if I get involved in a defensive gun use? Do all my firearms get taken until everything gets cleared up? What if it isn't resolved in my favor? What if someone decides to falsely report me for threatening them with a gun?

Wasn't there something recently in the news in CT about someone with a massive gun collection who had everything confiscated after reporting a burglary? Police responded, looked around his place and discovered model rocket hobby materials, and arrested him for making bombs, or something along those lines.

agree ...   i started out wanting to own and shoot some the iconic weapons from recent history , call it a "working collection" no heirlooms or safe queens. Granted i started my vision a little later in life than i would have liked, but i would like to continue but at what cost? ... having some of the few things i have for myself to enjoy be taken away with the swipe of a pen?... and it's not about the money , these are basic freedoms we should be left to enjoy ... oh well, i was in a good mood today 

I have safe queens and get some great and amazing deals. You must know what you are looking at and must realize that modern polymer no matter how much you like it won't go up in value. They will still be injection molding them 20 yrs from now. Look for the classics and do your research and there is no reason you can't consider your collection an investment. Check the local shops regularly, pay attention to forums and you can do well. I have a few guns that are literally 1 of a kind museum pieces and paid less than a few hundred bucks for them. Just search around.

I collect for the enjoyment of owning many different firearms. The value of my collection will come from volume and from good deals I am able to act on quickly. If I can get whst I feel is a good deal I buy. This is why I have so many and even more on my list to get

TOOK THE WORDS OUT OF MY MOUTH 

I have safe queens and get some great and amazing deals. You must know what you are looking at and must realize that modern polymer no matter how much you like it won't go up in value. They will still be injection molding them 20 yrs from now. Look for the classics and do your research and there is no reason you can't consider your collection an investment. Check the local shops regularly, pay attention to forums and you can do well. I have a few guns that are literally 1 of a kind museum pieces and paid less than a few hundred bucks for them. Just search around.

Thanks everyone.   Great suggestions and insights. 

I have few PPs coming in. Will ask specific recommendations on respective thread.

I would only collect if I was really into the guns I was collecting. IMO, it is not worth it to invest in firearms just to 'invest'. The time it takes to appreciate value enough for investment purposes is quite some years, if not 10+. And it all depends on the firearms themselves, demand, etc, and that can all change within many years.

Whoever suggested putting money into ammo was spot on. I would much rather put $10k into ammo and powder versus $10k into guns.

Get a German G41, G43 and a Johnson Rifle from the Dutch Contract.

Rare and will be worth lots of money in the future.

Totally agree but you if you shoot them and break a numbered part you will decrease the value. The G41/G43 series of rifles are very dangerous too use if not modified.You can even stock up with the mags for these. I paid no more than $80 for a mint ones a few years ago. These mags are now $300 minimum for common codes.

I would say unmessed with matching k98s ,G98/40s, and other K98 variants should be on that list too. Then there is a great big list of Axis pistols you could add to the list as well as original 1911s.

If you use your firearms and take very good care of them, there is no reason you shouldn't be able to make a modest profit when the time comes to sell them.  Who would have thought just a few years ago that people are asking $300, $400,$500 or more for an SKS?  $200+ for a Mosin Nagant?  The used gun market is cyclical and will probably adjust itself but like the stock market will continue to rise for the most part.  Basically what I am trying to say is that while most people will not be able to retire strictly on their firearm collection, (except for USNMars) you should be able to add a few dollars to your retirement fund if done wisely.

I have no children, and no nieces or nephews.  Since I won't be able to be buried with all my weapons, I figure close friends will have first crack and then everything will go up for sale when I'm no longer able to safely use them.  So y'all better be nice to me.  LOL.

Does anyone here see firearms as candidate  for collection / investment (long term ofcourse) .

If so, any pointers as to what to look for ? Appreciate it.

Nope, the era of collectable (for investment) firearms is long past.......so called 'collectables' and even 'antiques' are currently over inflated, and the current owners aren't gonna slash the selling price.  Add to the fact that the market for these 'collectables' reduces every year......and you'll end up losing money.

Most likely the only way you'll make money is stumbling upon something that somebody is looking to get ride of fast, or doesn't know or care what they have, or an estate sale where the heirs don't care either way, they see it as junk that needs to go.

The other long term way is through natural inflation of the dollar.  My Father's Winchester 1892 that he got in the 50s for $25.....sure it's beat up, but still functions and dings steel at 180 yards, was offered $500 for it recently.....that's an easy $475 profit for my him.....

And don't think you can skirt gun laws with 'antiques'......if you read the fine print in our ever so craftly written laws, 'antiques' are considered 'non-functioning wall hangers'........got a 16th Century Matchlock that still works?  Guess what, NJ don't consider that an 'antique'.

I'm not sure what the current value is but when I purchased my Glock 17 in 1991 (first polymer handgun available in the U.S.), I paid just shy of $150 IIRC...it all depends on how long you plan to keep them.

I bought it as an investment in my health...at the time, I was carrying a Springfield Armory 1911 9mm as a duty weapon for anywhere from 9-15 hours/day.  Switching to the G17 cut the weight I was carrying on my hip by a little over a pound and relieved some back/hip issues that were starting to rear their head.