BCeagle

Coyotes in Parsippany

I saw a pair of coyotes playing off in the distance in a field on Littleton Road earlier this month at 4PM in the afternoon. They were oblivious to the traffic going by as they danced about in the grassy field. They are everywhere these days, not just in rural areas. 

Are you sure it wasn't a coyote and not a wolf, usn? I'm not doubting you, I'm just saying that it's fairly easy to get them confused as they do look similar. Most notably coyotes are substantially smaller than wolves and have narrow snouts while wolves are much larger in size.

I'll believe it when I see a dead one. If there were wolves in Blairstown we would be hearing stories about livestock being killed. Im not saying its impossible, but not likely they are wild wolves. Possible they may have been captive wolves that escaped or were released by an irresponsible owner that's too afraid to come forward and claim ownership.

Well a friend of mine runs a wolf preserve, and I've been there many times.... It was a wolf. I have my camera sitting on the workbench in the garage in case it comes by again.

Well a friend of mine runs a wolf preserve, and I've been there many times.... It was a wolf. I have my camera sitting on the workbench in the garage in case it comes by again.

Is your friend missing any animals? Lol....

These might be from your friends preserve.  

wolves.jpg

I took this picture a couple miles west of you.

The original image was on film and since I don't have a scanner, I photographed the photograph, sorry for the poor resolution.

At the risk of getting banned forever: We have a coyote in the White House.

Not to doubt you, but recent evidence has shown it to be a species similar to a donkey, commonly called a jack...

We kill coyotes on sight on the ranch (Tx). Over the years, I've shot 25-30 or so. As you can imagine, they are a nuisance, as they will kill livestock. We have seen them slaughter baby goats, and not eat them, as if they were killing for sport.

Some counties in Tx still pay a bounty for dead ones, usually $5-10 each.

I have seen 2 coyotes on Atlantic Ave in Stratford. My wife thinks I saw a dog..but she's a Jersey girl, and wouldn't know a coyote if it bit her in the ass. I've seen enough coyotes in my day to know the difference between one and a dog. They are unmistakeable.

They are very adaptable animals. Not suprizing they have a population in the busy suburbs.

I have read before that they have been spotted in Central Park in NYC.

I saw a dead one that either got whacked by a train or coincidently died on the tracks. I don't remember exactly where it was, but it was between Kingsland station (Lyndhurst, NJ) and the Hackensack River. I'm pretty sure it was closer to the River as we went through the Meadowlands. I wish I had taken a picture.

These are wolves:

96iPCuc.jpg

And this is a coyote.

J69uxnk.jpg

To my mind, if they hurt your life stock then sure, cull them out. If they endanger humans, cull them out. Otherwise, mind your pets and leave them alone. I rather live in a world with more animal variety not less.

Those guys I've met in Denali, but I've met coyotes all over NJ as well.

I kill coyote indiscriminately if I encounter them while hunting. The division of fish and wildlife asks that all hunters do so. It is legal to kill them anytime while deer hunting during any deer season. Then they have a special season after deer season ends that runs until March, you can use any center fire rifle up to .25cal during daylight hours, and a shotgun at night. The Hunter must be in possession of a predator call during the special season.

Personally I think DFW are idiots about this. Sure "quality" deer is something they care about but they have no plans or solutions for dealing with suburban deer in areas that can't be hunted. Then random people have to pick deer out of their windshields.

But that's me.  On the bright side no one is hunting the coyotes in suburbia either for the same reasons.

Personally I think DFW are idiots about this. Sure "quality" deer is something they care about but they have no plans or solutions for dealing with suburban deer in areas that can't be hunted. Then random people have to pick deer out of their windshields.

But that's me. On the bright side no one is hunting the coyotes in suburbia either for the same reasons.

I kill coyote in the middle of a neighborhood all the time. As long as your 450' from a building good to go. Just have to know your target and beyond.

Its not the division that's the problem, its the towns themselves not allowing people to hunt on town owned properties. My town had such a problem they had no choice but to institute a comprehensive deer management program. You pay $25 and you get a permit to hunt the township owned properties bow only. But its better than gun hunting anyway IMO, especially with a cross bow. The division has opened up basically unlimited doe harvest in most zones. We just don't have enough people interested in hunting any longer. Its not politically correct anymore here. People are too lazy or too busy to take up hunting these days. But they're the same people that cry their car is damaged or their landscaping is destroyed. Way easier to go to the supermarket instead of killing their own. Less license sales = less money the division has to buy more hunting properties, as well as less money to manage the deer population using methods other than hunting. Point your fingers at the municipality that doesn't allow management hunting that's why your auto insurance is high due to deer vs vehicle collisions. Not because the division hasn't done anything about the overpopulation problem, they have done everything possible to this point, short of kicking in your door putting a gun to your head and forcing you into the woods to kill deer. Honestly what do you expect them to do? They made it a piece of cake to get a license, opened the season from September to February, kept the license prices the same for the last decade without an increase, unlimited doe harvest... ect...

I'm not saying that DFW are idiots in how they encourage people to hunt, they do a good enough job there.  The issue is that in very many towns discharge of anything is illegal as we build perfect deer habitat: lawns and gardens separated by tree belts. 

Personally I view coyotes as a natural check on overpopulations of deer and other small wildlife, and I think DFW needs to accept that and not encourage killing them on sight. I have no problem with a coyote season to keep the population in check if necessary. I think they are more concerned with deer "quality" then actual deer population. 

They are really decimating the wild turkey & rabbit populations, as well as killing fawns. Some coyote are fine but we are their only predator so killing them is necessary for more than just protecting the deer population. I wish I could show you the tracks in the snow last year where I hunt, there are so many coyote there its insane.

As others have noted, the NJ coyote is a hybrid wolf/coyote mix that occurred as SW coyotes migrated North then across Canada eastward and down into our state once again and mated with wolves along the way.. Scientists are a bit surprised that the breeding took but say the genetic background was apparently close enough. They feel that these animals are unlikely to attack adult humans, but could if comditions made them desperate.  They should be considered dangerous to children and pets.

We have had a small dog killed around here which any coyote could do, but one town east of here, a small pack of them took down a rotweiler/shepard mix about two years ago.

A guy I know has set up a nice varmint gun specifically to go up to NY where they allow an open season (I think he said) as they are becoming a real problem. .Argue all you want about controlling deer and insurance, but they will become a problem here too.

As others have noted, the NJ coyote is a hybrid wolf/coyote mix that occurred as SW coyotes migrated North then across Canada eastward and down into our state once again and mated with wolves along the way.. Scientists are a bit surprised that the breeding took but say the genetic background was apparently close enough. They feel that these animals are unlikely to attack adult humans, but could if comditions made them desperate.  They should be considered dangerous to children and pets.

We have had a small dog killed around here which any coyote could do, but one town east of here, a small pack of them took down a rotweiler/shepard mix about two years ago.

A guy I know has set up a nice varmint gun specifically to go up to NY where they allow an open season (I think he said) as they are becoming a real problem. .Argue all you want about controlling deer and insurance, but they will become a problem here too.

I did not know that. That may explain the size of one I saw in Ironbound. I thought it was a coyote-dog or something.

Then again, I saw a regular yote roadkill on Route 1 and 9 in Elizabeth just south of the airport.

I see Jersey yotes in the strangest places.