fishnut

ex corrections officer denied carry permit

Haters...take the test like everybody else and get hired. Then you can carry if its so important. Yes...everybody should be allowed to carry but hating on a guy cause his job allows is just petty jealousy and anger. Grow up

Nobody said they hated the guy. Any outrage or irony results from a sense of fairness, not jealousy. Given the legal climate in this state, the requirement that officers serve a certain number of years is reasonable. It would be just as reasonable if our laws were similar to Pennsylvania's -- he'd have to apply for a permit just like everyone else. Which is exactly the position he's in. Except that across the river he'd get it, here he won't. JUST LIKE US.

People want it because they can't have it. May not be true for most but there is some truth to it. Guys got all upset about losing PA ccw for non residents and they only carried to Cabelas.

Yes we should have the right but I agree it will become a fad for some. I admit I wouldn't

Be able to carryall the time because of work requirements.

Anyhow, good luck to your ex boss on the appeal.

Yes everyone should be able to get a permit, but we cant yet. But either way a co should be able to get his after 7 yrs. That is a tough job, many would say it is harder than being a cop. You deal with scum all day long. I turned down several job offers to be a co through civil service because i didnt want that life. It takes a special person to do that job and they really should be able to protect themselves when off duty or when they retire. Its not like he worked for 2 months and left. he did 7 years.

NJ is so corrupt that they now have the supposedly "gun rights activist" believing in the special privileged people, that or all the true freedom believers really did move to PA

im not saying a CO shouldnt be allowed to carry, im saying NO BODY should be allowed to carry until the common man is allowed to, no CO, no off duty or retired leo, no judge, no politician, no one, make the law equal for everyone, NJ is the true Animal Farm and they have the people of NJ on their side, including a lot of our supposedly "gun lovers" 

but i guess its true, why should we be allowed to carry, its just a fad and most of us wont carry anyways so whats the big deal

NJ is so corrupt that they now have the supposedly "gun rights activist" believing in the special privileged people, that or all the true freedom believers really did move to PA

im not saying a CO shouldnt be allowed to carry, im saying NO BODY should be allowed to carry until the common man is allowed to, no CO, no off duty or retired leo, no judge, no politician, no one, make the law equal for everyone, NJ is the true Animal Farm and they have the people of NJ on their side, including a lot of our supposedly "gun lovers" 

but i guess its true, why should we be allowed to carry, its just a fad and most of us wont carry anyways so whats the big deal

This +1000

What the heck is wrong with you people? Are you HAPPY that NJ doesn't respect your rights? Yes, some people might treat the gun like a fashion accessory. Others may carry out of necessity. Some may get the permit, tuck it in the wallet and forget about it... but does that mean that it's no big deal that we don't have the right? 

Haters...take the test like everybody else and get hired. Then you can carry if its so important. Yes...everybody should be allowed to carry but hating on a guy cause his job allows is just petty jealousy and anger. Grow up

Sounds like the modern version of "let them eat cake,"

I think the CO referenced in the OP should get his CCP.  Just as the rest of us should.  I see no benefit in slamming LE over this issue, but this attitude is just as bad.  Perhaps the unwashed masses would feel differently if the NJ LE community would come out in unified force and support the rights of the average citizen.  Until then, you can expect a portion of the 2A community to harbor resentment over the inequity of such policies. 

Yes everyone should be able to get a permit, but we cant yet. But either way a co should be able to get his after 7 yrs. That is a tough job, many would say it is harder than being a cop. You deal with scum all day long. I turned down several job offers to be a co through civil service because i didnt want that life. It takes a special person to do that job and they really should be able to protect themselves when off duty or when they retire. Its not like he worked for 2 months and left. he did 7 years.

What do you say when the state has told private individuals who are facing danger in the course of their work or running a business that they should find another job or hire a bodyguard?

What about the guy who drives around with on average $20k cash from customers? How about the guy that services ATMs and carries up to $75k cash on him? The state (via judges and county prosecutors) has also said that they can get another job and they can change the way they do business so that they aren't in danger. 

This is bigger than just a select few getting the right to carry. This is about the state's disregard for anyone other than agents of the state. The police and corrections officers need a firearm to protect themselves. Everyone else can just go to hell, because we're afraid of people mishandling their firearms (no police officer ever has had a negligent discharge, ever!)

Yes, I think COs should be able to carry. I think the above people I mentioned should too. I think I should be able to carry as well. No, I don't think anyone should be special or prioritized over any other. 

Ok I get it there is a bunch of you on here that are pissed that you cant carry in NJ and im with you but I did not ask that. I asked a simple question looking for a simple answer.  I never asked for your opinion as to weather he should be allowed to carry or not. Christ what a bunch of whiney bitches! No wonder we cant get organized gun owner are to busy fighting amongst ourselves

He went thru a 2 week training period and qualified..

On a side note - I'm not saying he isn't qualified, but here is the qualification if anyone is interested. It's really not that hard. I've done the pistol one a few times to practice (pre-Drake). I have a friend who is a retired CO (EJSP) and he said the qual isn't that hard either. People who do things like IDPA and 3 gun do way more than that. 

http://www.state.nj.us/lps/dcj/pdfs/dcj-firearms.pdf

Ok I get it there is a bunch of you on here that are pissed that you cant carry in NJ and im with you but I did not ask that. I asked a simple question looking for a simple answer.  I never asked for your opinion as to weather he should be allowed to carry or not. Christ what a bunch of whiney bitches! No wonder we cant get organized gun owner are to busy fighting amongst ourselves

No CCW is required in NJ. Federal Law supersedes it. If he has a retired ID from his former employer, he need only qualify once per year and carry his ID and proof of the qualification. DONE.

It took all of 3 posts to get to "leo vs non-leo", yet people often ask what would happen in SHTF situation. Isnt it clear just from thread ?

On to the topic, the situation with OP LEO shows that for NJ, CCW is not about public safety, not about qualifications, not about children, not about lives, not about anything else but control.  NJ would not give CCW to anyone who is not currently obligated to follow state orders. Period. Case Closed.

I think the only reason LEO exceptions are made is due to Union negotiations and CLEO escalations in the background.

What do you say when the state has told private individuals who are facing danger in the course of their work or running a business that they should find another job or hire a bodyguard?

What about the guy who drives around with on average $20k cash from customers? How about the guy that services ATMs and carries up to $75k cash on him? The state (via judges and county prosecutors) has also said that they can get another job and they can change the way they do business so that they aren't in danger. 

This is bigger than just a select few getting the right to carry. This is about the state's disregard for anyone other than agents of the state. The police and corrections officers need a firearm to protect themselves. Everyone else can just go to hell, because we're afraid of people mishandling their firearms (no police officer ever has had a negligent discharge, ever!)

Yes, I think COs should be able to carry. I think the above people I mentioned should too. I think I should be able to carry as well. No, I don't think anyone should be special or prioritized over any other. 

not to drag this on. But i agree we should all be able to. but its ridiculous a co got denied. As i said we should all be able to get permits.

It took all of 3 posts to get to "leo vs non-leo", yet people often ask what would happen in SHTF situation. Isnt it clear just from thread ?

On to the topic, the situation with OP LEO shows that for NJ, CCW is not about public safety, not about qualifications, not about children, not about lives, not about anything else but control.  NJ would not give CCW to anyone who is not currently obligated to follow state orders. Period. Case Closed.

I think the only reason LEO exceptions are made is due to Union negotiations and CLEO escalations in the background.

This +1000000000

No CCW is required in NJ. Federal Law supersedes it. If he has a retired ID from his former employer, he need only qualify once per year and carry his ID and proof of the qualification. DONE.

Basically we need to push for national CCW.

I agree. I think most would not carry full time.

Moving from NJ to PA I appreciate having the right to carry and do all the time unless it's unlawful. The friends I have carry all the time as well.... once you get used to it you fell, that at least, you have a chance if something goes horribly wrong. Also, it's a humbling experience as you realize the HUGE responsibility that comes along with carrying. It's been almost 2.5 years that I have carried constantly .....unless I'm in NJ, then I'm relying on pepper spray.

Wallet, phone and firearm...every time in/out of the house.

I agree. I think most would not carry full time.

I find that hard to believe.

I would carry full time.  Heck I carry as soon as I get home and take it off and secure it before I go to bed.  In other states most people I know who carry did it full time. They think nothing of it. It's just like carrying your wallet or keys or your purse. Even in states like Connecticut. When I'm in those states I carry full time all the time. I do respect signs by not going to gun ban places. 

I believe I would carry all the time when legally able to if nj would let us. I just got back from a week trip to delaware. Soon as I got over the bridge and hit cabelas I started CC. I only left my handgun behind when I took my kids into a water park and also when I went to have a few drinks ar a bar for obvious reasons. When I was about 5 miles from nj I pulled over and secured everything in my trunk. I don't carry much at home as im in a apartment in the second floor. If I lived in a house I would probably carry around the home all the time.

I believe I would carry all the time when legally able to if nj would let us. I just got back from a week trip to delaware. Soon as I got over the bridge and hit cabelas I started CC. I only left my handgun behind when I took my kids into a water park and also when I went to have a few drinks ar a bar for obvious reasons. When I was about 5 miles from nj I pulled over and secured everything in my trunk. I don't carry much at home as im in a apartment in the second floor. If I lived in a house I would probably carry around the home all the time.

You sir are a responsible gun owner and that's what it's all about. It's funny, I only carried a few times (OBX) and it felt REAL weird (don't even go there...LOL). I felt like I was doing something wrong. Then we moved to PA and I started carrying all the time. At first my wife and kids thought it was a bit....ummm...strange. Then after a few months my wife started carrying and then my oldest daughter. 

When we all go out, I don't even have to ask, I know they're carrying and got my back. The weird thing is, you become so used to it you forget you're carrying....kind of...until something does not seem right. I don't know how many times I've gotten a mile from home only to turn around and lock it up because I was going to NJ.

I find myself carrying less than I used to. More Guns, Less Crime.

C'mon Paul..complacency kills..yes crime in free CCW areas statistically tends to be less..but do you really want to be that guy when the SHTF you reach for your firearm and say Oh Sh!t..didnt bring it today...crime or lack thereof doesnt sway my decision to carry...because it takes only 1 jagass to bring down a world of hurt..at anytime or anyplace..i lived my life adhering to Murphys law..and its brought me home everytime..

Apparently they have ruled that his job DOESN'T allow him to carry.  Bad news IMO for all LEO, cause this is NJ, there's always an ulterior motive and they ARE coming to get your guns.

As far as hating, I hate that we have classes of people - those that can and those that can't, and that exceeds CCW...

I hate that Damien the shitbag gets 3 months in jail for robbing the local liquor store with a gun but Shaneen who makes a minor error gets bent over and Fffffffffffffouled up and has already spent more time in jail than Damien will.

I hate that Bruce Springsteen could get a CCW but Bruce Stein can't.

I hate that I can't protect myself or my family outside of my home, but because you "chose the right career" you can.

Yep, I have a house a a bit of acreage so when I'm home I'm often outside doing stuff. Always have one on me. Can't run inside to get it from the safe...

Apparently they have ruled that his job DOESN'T allow him to carry. Bad news IMO for all LEO, cause this is NJ, there's always an ulterior motive and they ARE coming to get your guns.

As far as hating, I hate that we have classes of people - those that can and those that can't, and that exceeds CCW...

I hate that Damien the shitbag gets 3 months in jail for robbing the local liquor store with a gun but Shaneen who makes a minor error gets bent over and Fffffffffffffouled up and has already spent more time in jail than Damien will.

I hate that Bruce Springsteen could get a CCW but Bruce Stein can't.

I hate that I can't protect myself or my family outside of my home, but because you "chose the right career" you can.

He wasnt an LEO. He wasnt a retired LEO. Thats why he was denied. Plain and simple. LEOs dont need to apply for anything. Retired LEOs are a little different.

It's a very stressful job. Maybe harder mentally than being a cop. Still, that gives him super-powers or more rights than us?

No super powers the tights are still the same.  You have the right to come work in a correctional facility at any time you wish.  Then when you are with your family in walmart and you see that smart ass thug that threatened you while behind bars, suddenly you will be glad that you are allowed to carry off duty!  In reference to the OP, the guy was prior LEO... not retired not current therefor he is kinda stuck and labeled as civilian who in NJ for some reason aren't allowed to carry.  I don't agree with it and am just glad in the career path that I chose.  I pray for the day NJ gets CCW and Shall Issue without JN.  I can promise you that nearly EVERY SINGLE state, county and federal correctional facility in NJ needs more CO's!  Come on out and play!!

I don't envy that job. I pray for the safety and peace of mind for my realitives daily. EspecialIy my female family in those dungeons baby sitting grown ass men. I passed the test but decided to be something else instead. The pay and pension are much better. I also don't have to be stuck here under the NJ First act.....