Dr.Jimmy Rustler

help picking a new grill

So I've currently got an old weber natural gas grill but since moving a few years ago I still haven't gotten around to getting natural gas hooked up. I looked into conversion kits from natural gas to propane and came up empty handed. This lead me to looking at new grills. I was curious if anyone had any recommendations. I don't really host any big parties or anything so I don't need a very large grill. Typically I grill for 3-8 people. I also don't exactly have a budget but I'd like to keep it under a grand. 

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Weber-Spirit-S-210-2-Burner-Stainless-Steel-Propane-Gas-Grill-46100001/203597736?N=5yc1vZc5t2Z1lsZ12l8Zbwo5o

I was considering the above. ^ Just curious what everyone's opinion was. My knowledge of grills extends to turning them on and off lol. Is it still worth it to buy a weber over another brand? Thanks for the input guys.

Another vote for Weber, but the grill you're considering is on the small side.   Great if it's just you and a significant other, but you'll run out of room quickly if you have guests...  

Call it a myth, call it what you want; anyone that comes and eats steak cooked on our grill tells us how much better it is than the way their's cooks.

The locking in of juices is a myth, however a great sear in a steak changes the proteins on the steaks surface and taste. Just don't cook it for 20 mins. med rare at the max!

Another vote for Weber. Genesis line with side burner and sear burner in Hunter Green is my model.

I think that one is hideous lol

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Fireplace guy?

Enjoy, I have the same one. I'm not so sure about the side burner though, not impressed with that

Having an electric stove, since there's no natural gas where I live. That side burner on my Webber Silver really came in handy during hurricane Sandy. When I replace it with a Genisis eventually, I'll get another side burner. I like using it to do the corn on the Cobb during a cookout. It's nice not to have to run in and out of the house, trying to cook in two places at once.

The locking in of juices is a myth, however a great sear in a steak changes the proteins on the steaks surface and taste. Just don't cook it for 20 mins. med rare at the max!

I think that one is hideous lol

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

What do you have against green????

purchased A grill master 4 years ago.. doing very good sits outside all year round no cover..   think i purchased it at lowes..

http://www.grillmasterbbqs.com/grillmaster-4-burner-gas-grill/

Been thinking about picking up a small charcoal grill for the flavor.. And keep the big one for get together's and quick meals..I use the gas grill during the winter also..Nothing like grilling in the snow..

With the gas grill i use sweet baby ray's BBQ sauce thin coat on burgers for the charcoal grill flavor..

purchased A grill master 4 years ago.. doing very good sits outside all year round no cover..   think i purchased it at lowes..

http://www.grillmasterbbqs.com/grillmaster-4-burner-gas-grill/

Been thinking about picking up a small charcoal grill for the flavor.. And keep the big one for get together's and quick meals..I use the gas grill during the winter also..Nothing like grilling in the snow..

With the gas grill i use sweet baby ray's BBQ sauce thin coat on burgers for the charcoal grill flavor..

Nothing beats charcoal for the sear and the flavor.  Try reducing some bourbon and adding it to the sweet baby rays on some ribs!

After buying the Home Depot, Lowes and other grills and replacing then every couple of years, I took the plunge and purchased a Weber. That was 10 years ago and still have the same grill. The biggest selling point was replacement parts are actual OEM parts and not the generic parts you struggle to fit your other grill.

Buy once, cry once. You wouldn't regret buying a Weber.

Regarding "what makes quality better?"

Just try lifting the lid on a weber and than lift the lid on a Kenmore. Seems like the weber gas 2x the gauge in the steel.

My problem with all grills is that yes the lid and exterior parts are SS but the drip pans are not. The heat deflectors are not.

I just SS replacement heat deflectors.

My prior weber lid lasted but the drip pan and deflectors didn't. I dunno it just seemed like no matter how many times I scrubbed them clean, sooner or later during a long high heat to burn off the juices (cleaning mode) the ENTIRE drip pan would burst into flames. I mean total fireball that needed extinguisher to put out. If the grill was near my house it would have burnt it down.

So after 6 years on my prior one I just junked it and got a new one. I have had others say similar about fireballs on unattended grills on high .

I just thought the fireball as a normal part of cleaning once every few months or so, don't extinguish it just let it go. I know it looks scary but it doesn't hurt anything, I just re-season the grates afterwards. Probably should be far enough from the house where that doesn't concern you otherwise it's way to close! If I burn the crud off like that on a regular basis it allows me to use the sear station at 700 degrees without the fear of flare ups.

I too grill all year round. My Sunbeam is 17 years old and still going, although I've had to replace the burner and will have to do so again this year. Simple, yes, but it works. I prefer my in-laws' 3 burner as it allows me to better control the temperatures for cooking different cuts / pieces of meat. Not sure of the make or model, but will look tomorrow when it gets light outside.

I've got a cheap, rectagular charcoal grill for my backup with a couple of bags of fuel. I bought it for a one-time cookout a year ago. I could run wood in it it need be, but at that point, I'd just build a fire pit (summer) or use the fireplace (winter). If you really want to get primitive, research Alton Brown's meat-on-wood method. http://altonbrown.com/steak-on-coals/

Having an electric stove, since there's no natural gas where I live. That side burner on my Webber Silver really came in handy during hurricane Sandy. When I replace it with a Genisis eventually, I'll get another side burner. I like using it to do the corn on the Cobb during a cookout. It's nice not to have to run in and out of the house, trying to cook in two places at once.

Corn in husk on grill. Rotate 4 times @ 10 min. You will never boil corn again!

Call it a myth, call it what you want; anyone that comes and eats steak cooked on our grill tells us how much better it is than the way their's cooks.

Seating is browning. That's the Maillard reaction, and it's yummy. But it has nothing to do with keeping the juices in. It's the rapid cooking time that helps with that.

The new Webers are not as robust as their old ones. Metal's thinner, more plastic, etc...  I managed to grab a NOS Weber 2 years ago and love it. It's my 2nd Weber, my first lasting 10+ years with only the flavorizer bars being replaced. I would check around at the local stores and see what you like. With Weber cheapening out a bit lately I would look at Ducane or Kenmore. My buddy's had his Kenmore seemingly forever and it's built pretty well. If you take care of the grill and keep it covered when not in use it should last you. Also,  keep the squirrels out as best you can because they love to chew on the hoses.