Sign in to follow this  
kc17

Anyone have a Classic / Historic Motorcycle?

I know there's some other riders on here so I thought I'd toss this out here.

I currently have a 2007 Harley insured with Rider, I'm going to be the new custodian to my deceased friend's 1984 Honda. He bought it new, right out of the crate. I called Rider to get a quote for the '84; they will only offer Liability on anything 30 years or older, and want over $100 a year (multi bike discount included). I do not intend to put many miles on the Honda, probably less than 100, she's only got 3000 and change now. $100+ for <100 miles a year Liability only seems mighty damn high to me. If it included full coverage, I'd be more comfortable with the price. I promised my friend I would take care of his bike and I just want to make sure I am able to keep that promise if anything bad happens. Keep in mind, I'm already paying liability now through the Harley, and I'm the only licensed Rider on the policy and in the household.

So... Do any of you have or had experience with a Classic/Historic cycle? I know that there are companies that specialize in insurance for Classic/Historic autos and will be looking into them as well.

Edit to add:

I will also be looking into the company he had it insured through, but I need to get that info from his wife. Also, he was from PA, so there's the possibility that they don't write policies in our friendly State.

My last bike was an '83 Honda v45 Sabre.  I hadn't thought about it in a while, but it hurts to know it's considered a classic.  I don't know how that happened when I didn't get any older...

I had Rider for insurance coverage on it too. Hagerty is good place to look, I use them for my classic cars.  

Cycle must be valued greater than $3500 for Hagerty to write a policy. Having some trouble getting valuation on it. It's a CM 450C, the websites I've checked do not list a 450C (as in custom), similar bikes seemed to be valued below $3500 though.

I did get quotes through progressive and GEICO, and am now considering switching my Harley to one of them as well. I can't stand any of their freaking commercials, but they do have good rates. Might need to look at auto as well. I do like the fact that I've got auto, home, and life all through one agent. Only one I've had since leaving my parent's policy. They actually know me by name and face if I walk into the office. I had my Harley and V-Star before that insured through them as well until they doubled the rates.

I insure my 2014 CVO HD Road King with Geico full coverage, high limits for 400 bucks per year.  Commercials suck (I did like the woodchuck one) but their rates and service are good.  I have four cars, a bike, two houses and an umbrella policy with them.  

Cycle must be valued greater than $3500 for Hagerty to write a policy. Having some trouble getting valuation on it. It's a CM 450C, the websites I've checked do not list a 450C (as in custom), similar bikes seemed to be valued below $3500 though.

I did get quotes through progressive and GEICO, and am now considering switching my Harley to one of them as well. I can't stand any of their freaking commercials, but they do have good rates. Might need to look at auto as well. I do like the fact that I've got auto, home, and life all through one agent. Only one I've had since leaving my parent's policy. They actually know me by name and face if I walk into the office. I had my Harley and V-Star before that insured through them as well until they doubled the rates.

The CM 400/450's are nice little Hondas, but it's only worth $1k. Certainly not a classic. My first bike was an '80 CM400T in super condition and I only paid $650 for it.

Ride it and remember your buddy. That's about all you should do.

Your saying 100 bucks a year for liability only is too much?

For a second bike that will see very little mileage, yes, I think close to $120 is too much.

Although this brings up an entirely different opinion I have. Liability insurance should be on the driver, not the car. I can only operate 1 vehicle at a time, the only reason to pay liability multiple times is to jack up the rates.

The CM 400/450's are nice little Hondas, but it's only worth $1k. Certainly not a classic. My first bike was an '80 CM400T in super condition and I only paid $650 for it.

Ride it and remember your buddy. That's about all you should do.

Yeah, the more I think about it, full coverage is probably not a financially sound decision. Especially considering it will not see much road time.

I have to admit, the attitude I got from the woman on the phone when I called Rider last night most likely factored into fueling my urge to shop around some.

An 84 UJM is not worth that much. I insure my 78 Triumph same as my other bike, as I ride it more than 100 miles a year. I use Foremost, personally as I am to lazy to really shop around

That's the main reason I've been using the same agent since '91. Trying to compare rates when they're not always presented the same drives me nuts.