Malsua

Generators ready?

I'm eating that damn cat that keeps tripping my light sensors first. On a serious note. I have a brand new generator. If I remember correctly you  need to run it for a little bit and do an oil change before actually using it. Is each break in method brand specific?

I'm eating that damn cat that keeps tripping my light sensors first. On a serious note. I have a brand new generator. If I remember correctly you  need to run it for a little bit and do an oil change before actually using it. Is each break in method brand specific?

Consult your manual, but in general, run it a bit, then do a change. (This is to get any debris out of the engine that might have been left from the manufacturing / assembly / transportation process.)

Break in period on small motors is generally to run them under moderate loads for at least 10 hours but generally no more than 24 hours then change the oil.   Also, some folks recommend running dino oil initially before going with Synthetic to aid in letting the rings seat.  Personally I just put in synthetic and be done with it. 

Because it's really more of a weather discussion and a heads up that includes cannibalism than specifically prepping. Not quite sure how we got to eating each other so quickly, but so it goes.

I'll survive on beer till the fallout clears.

As for today's weather discussion, the Inland runner is still going to give us some rain pretty much no matter what.   The Hurricane however is another issue.   The over night models are pushing it later and eastward, more "out to sea" as the Euro has modeled from the start.  That said, what this means is that if it does not go out to sea, it makes landfall further north and that's bad for NJ/NYC.   We should hope at this point that the Euro has it and Joaquin swims with the fishes and we get a standard rain sans wind.

:)  But we are already talking about engine break in of generators etc.........  :drinks:

Well, the title of the thread is  "Generators ready?" so an appropriate question is how to make the generator ready :).   Now if the question is, "Your neighbor has a generator, you do not, should you take his or buy your own" that's more of prep question. :jester:

I dont know what to believe.....these meteorologists are usually wrong but if not im ill prepared......may just get some things to play it safe

That was the point of this thread.   Minimal preparedness isn't an undue burden.   Let's hope it goes out to sea and we get some rain for a bit.  No big deal.  If it slams into DelMarva at high tide and the big winds come ashore somewhere in Jersey, it's going to be an issue. 

I need to buy a transfer switch panel for the generator. Kinda put it off and I have a feeling I'm gonna be wiring it in the middle of a power outage lol. Lowes has the reliance 6-circuit ive had my eye on in stock. If its still projected to hit land tomorrow I'm gonna have to run out and get it. Gas is always stocked min of 20 gals.

That was the point of this thread. Minimal preparedness isn't an undue burden. Let's hope it goes out to sea and we get some rain for a bit. No big deal. If it slams into DelMarva at high tide and the big winds come ashore somewhere in Jersey, it's going to be an issue.

Good point dude

I need to buy a transfer switch panel for the generator. Kinda put it off and I have a feeling I'm gonna be wiring it in the middle of a power outage lol. Lowes has the reliance 6-circuit ive had my eye on in stock. If its still projected to hit land tomorrow I'm gonna have to run out and get it. Gas is always stocked min of 20 gals.

I've got that one installed. It worked great during and after Sandy.

I thought about the interlock kit. But AFAIK the method of back feeding your main box is against code. Certainly would have been much cheaper and easier to do.

Interlockkits are legal and approved for use in NJ. I've installed plenty of them. It does not "back-feed" your panel. Actually it prevents back feed by isolating your service feed from the generator feed.

Illegally back feeding the panel would be connecting the generator to say an AC disconnect and using that to feed the panel. The issue being that if you don't turn off the main cb you'll be feeding back to the pole and could potentially electrocute a lineman trying to make repairs.

My only issue with the Interlockkit is that it gets mounted to the panel cover, which is fine if the panel cover is installed but, you lose the Inter-loc when the panel cover is removed. Not really a big deal but, there are better options available IMO.

Well your feeding power the opposite way through a breaker, feeding it backwards.

It's AC current.  It's always going backwards.   And forwards.  And backwards again, then forwards again.  Then right back again, then in due course, forward again.    Rinse, repeat, 60 times a second.

It's AC current. It's always going backwards. And forwards. And backwards again, then forwards again. Then right back again, then in due course, forward again. Rinse, repeat, 60 times a second.

That's true, didn't even think about that. Either way if someone is sure its 100% legal to do a lockout switch I'm going to do that. The basic hook up is much easier. I would just have to move the top 2 breakers.

That's true, didn't even think about that. Either way if someone is sure its 100% leagal to do a lockout swith I'm going to do that. The basic hook up is much easier. I would just have to move the top 2 breakers.

The NEC code 702.6 permits use of these kits.  If it's UL listed, it's legal.

Just to be sure. Wiring the 240 line to a double breaker in the box is legal as long as I have an interlock. Because I can just cut the ends off the 240 30a line that came with the generator and wire up a quick disconnect pretty easily. Would save me over 200 bucks and a ton of time rerouting the critical circuits.

Just to be sure. Wiring the 240 line to a double breaker in the box is legal as long as I have an interlock.

Yes. Assuming the breaker is UL listed, and appropriate for the load.   Your generator has breakers as well, but you're most protected by having the breaker match the load.  If the twistlock on your genset is 30 amp, your kit breaker should be 30 amp 220v(two pole) and your umbilical should have 10 gauge wire.

Yes. Assuming the breaker is UL listed, and appropriate for the load. Your generator has breakers as well, but you're most protected by having the breaker match the load. If the twistlock on your genset is 30 amp, your kit breaker should be 30 amp 220v(two pole) and your umbilical should have 10 gauge wire.

awesome, yeah everything is rated at 30amps. I just need to run a well pump and provides power to run the natgas furnace.

one side of the cord breaks the 240v twist into 4 120v standard outlets. So I can cut it off and use that side to wire to the panel.