ken1107

Some advice please

For new shooters that don't reload 9mm is the way to go. The price of .45 at a local gun shop is insane! Last I checked it was around $35 for a box of 50 witch lasts around five minuets at the range. The price alone will turn that beautiful .45 into a safe queen real quick and may steer some people away from shooting all together.

That's just more incentive for one to start rolling their own. ;)

Seriously though, for a 9mm I'd go for something besides a 1911. I won't say all 1911 should be .45 but, your first one should be at least.

For 9mm I like a CZ 75/85. The Sig 226 is nice too. It's on my short list.

That's just more incentive for one to start rolling their own. ;) Serioway? though, for a 9mm I'd go for something besides a 1911. I won't say all 1911 should be .45 but, your first one should be at least. For 9mm I like a CZ 75/85. The Sig 226 is nice too. It's on my short list.

Okay brother I'm gonna turn the tables on ya... 

Why does a 1911 need to be a. 45? Is it because JB made it that way? Is it because our grand pappys had them in. 45? Those guys are all dead now,  it's 2015 and we have 2011's in 9mm major. 

I should probably tell you though that my first Pistol was a 1911 in. 45 but I knew I was also going to buy a press and start reloading right after I got it. I also knew I was going to be competing with it. 

I can't really speak for the CZ stuff because I only put about ten rounds through one but I wasn't overly impressed. Thought it was just okay. Although lots of people love them and really kick ass with them. Look at Ben Stoger, he's a champ. 

The Sig 226 is a POS and poorly designed  in my opinion. The grip feels nice in my hand but my main gripe with it is how high the barrel is. They obviously didn't have double tapping in mind. Felt like it was trying to do a back flip in my hand. Also I don't think anyone has ever became a world champ shooting a 226.

Okay brother I'm gonna turn the tables on ya...

Why does a 1911 need to be a. 45? Is it because JB made it that way? Is it because our grand pappys had them in. 45? Those guys are all dead now, it's 2015 and we have 2011's in 9mm major.

I should probably tell you though that my first Pistol was a 1911 in. 45 but I knew I was also going to buy a press and start reloading right after I got it. I also knew I was going to be competing with it.

I can't really speak for the CZ stuff because I only put about ten rounds through one but I wasn't overly impressed. Thought it was just okay. Although lots of people love them and really kick ass with them. Look at Ben Stoger, he's a champ.

The Sig 226 is a POS and poorly designed in my opinion. The grip feels nice in my hand but my main gripe with it is how high the barrel is. They obviously didn't have double tapping in mind. Felt like it was trying to do a back flip in my hand. Also I don't think anyone has ever became a world champ shooting a 226.

Just my opinion. I would also recommend a 5" barrel for a first 1911. Yes, the way it was designed. As I stated, they don't all have to be .45s. (I wouldn't mind one in .38 super), but for a first 1911 I would suggest traditional. I love all 1911s in various sizes and calibers but, I guess I'm a purist at heart.

I never shot the 226 but also never heard much bad about them. The CZ-75 was designed for the 9mm cartridge (like the 1911 and .45) and shoots pretty good for me but, I don't use it too much as I'm not a huge fan of 9.

Ken1107: If you end up leaning towards a Sig, and want one that behaves like a 1911 and shoots 9mm, consider this:

http://legionseries.com/p226-sao-legion/

Yes it's expensive. Hold one and decide for yourself. It is not a 'standard' P226 SAO (which you could also consider).

I should add that the 'Legion' hype doesn't interest me at all. I fondled one of these last week.

If you're trying to compare a 1911 with a sig, a better choice would be the p220.  Very similar on paper except for the whole SA DA thing... :)

So compare it to a Sig P220 SAO Super Match

Just my opinion. I would also recommend a 5" barrel for a first 1911. Yes, the way it was designed. As I stated, they don't all have to be .45s. (I wouldn't mind one in .38 super), but for a first 1911 I would suggest traditional. I love all 1911s in various sizes and calibers but, I guess I'm a purist at heart.

if we want to be really pedantic about it, the M1900 which was the first incarnation of what we now think of as the 1911 platform was designed for the .38ACP which is dimensionally identical with the .38 Super. The .45 ACP was designed to fit the basic frame and work in the same basic designed gun (M1905). The 38 Super was then re-introduced as a beefed up version of the .38 ACP.

So TECHNICALLY, the 1911 platform was designed around a .38 not a .45

Ken,

The others have given great advice, but what should ultimately be the decision maker is how do they feel in the hand? I wouldn't worry about picking a caliber, instead focus on what each one feels like, holding/shooting. RTSP has an extensive selection of firearms to rent, and I'm sure most people here would let you try a plethora of handguns.

The advice has been tremendous and great, thank you all so much for the insight. With all that being said I have limited my choices down to 2. [Drum roll] It is now officially a toss up between the CZ 75 P-07 and the Sig sp2022. I will take a stroll to the range and try it out this weekend or the next. The others are still a plan to own in the future but for now, I am focusing mainly on pricing and the bang for the buck. Like any other hobbies, you can't just have one. Besides you're right carl_g, I already have a great striker fired pistol, which is also why it came down to those 2 choices.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Ken1107: If you end up leaning towards a Sig, and want one that behaves like a 1911 and shoots 9mm, consider this:

http://legionseries.com/p226-sao-legion/

Yes it's expensive. Hold one and decide for yourself. It is not a 'standard' P226 SAO (which you could also consider).

I should add that the 'Legion' hype doesn't interest me at all. I fondled one of these last week.

Oh man. That is what I am saving my 3rd permit for and cash of course. Well the p229 Legion. I held one at the range and it was love at first grope. It was like I just pulled Excalibur out of a damn rock. Also did I mention I dig that gun alot? Lol.

But with a $1300 price tag, after taxes and nics. It would have to be a tax refund present.

Have you tried a 226? You can get a 226 classic in .22 and then pick up a .9mm conversion later. (For some reason, that's cheaper then buying a .9mm 226 with a .22 conversion. Same exact gun though.

A 9mm 1911. Really? :blink: I know a lot of people like them but , it just doesn't seem right to me. Plus I like shooting .45 more.

Nothing better than 9mm in a 1911. Smooth, accurate and easy to shoot. I have two kimbers and would get another if I saw one I liked.

Nothing better than 9mm in a 1911. Smooth, accurate and easy to shoot. I have two kimbers and would get another if I saw one I liked.
It was a tongue in cheek comment. I know it can be a sensitive topic. :PIf a friend asked I would suggest a 5" .45 though for the reasons I already stated.One of my Kimbers has an external extractor :blink: which makes some people cringe. So, I'm not really a purist, it's just my preference.

The advice has been tremendous and great, thank you all so much for the insight. With all that being said I have limited my choices down to 2. [Drum roll] It is now officially a toss up between the CZ 75 P-07 and the Sig sp2022. I will take a stroll to the range and try it out this weekend or the next. The others are still a plan to own in the future but for now, I am focusing mainly on pricing and the bang for the buck. Like any other hobbies, you can't just have one. Besides you're right carl_g, I already have a great striker fired pistol, which is also why it came down to those 2 choices. Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk
Ken, just curious, why the P-07 as opposed to the SP-01? Do you prefer the polymer frame?

It was a tongue in cheek comment. I know it can be a sensitive topic. :PIf a friend asked I would suggest a 5" .45 though for the reasons I already stated.One of my Kimbers has an external extractor :blink: which makes some people cringe. So, I'm not really a purist, it's just my preference.

Ken, just curious, why the P-07 as opposed to the SP-01? Do you prefer the polymer frame?

Ah, no worries.  External extractor is fine with me.  I have a couple sig 1911 external extractors and love'em.  

It was a tongue in cheek comment. I know it can be a sensitive topic. :PIf a friend asked I would suggest a 5" .45 though for the reasons I already stated.One of my Kimbers has an external extractor :blink: which makes some people cringe. So, I'm not really a purist, it's just my preference.Ken, just curious, why the P-07 as opposed to the SP-01? Do you prefer the polymer frame?

No its not because I want polymer. It's all about the pricing. The cz p-01 seems to be over 100 dollars more then the 07. I've held the p07 and it does feel well made, solid. But for my second pistol pricing is a huge factor.

I love my CZ P09. But for the same price of the Legion, I got my P09 with full trigger done by Cajun Gun Works, Streamlight TLR-2 HL G , 1,000 rounds of ammo. P07 is compact version of P09. Posted Image

That is a beauty. I have never held or shot a p07, so I can't comment on it. I just know that when that sales rep put that sig 229 legion in my palms, it was done. Just everything about the legion felt "right".

Oh man. That is what I am saving my 3rd permit for and cash of course. Well the p229 Legion. I held one at the range and it was love at first grope. It was like I just pulled Excalibur out of a damn rock. Also did I mention I dig that gun alot? Lol.

But with a $1300 price tag, after taxes and nics. It would have to be a tax refund present.

OK, so now you know why I mentioned it. Feeling is believing.

Unless you have an aversion to a manual safety, or an affinity for the Sig DA/SA trigger, I'd take a serious look at the SAO version. The Sig SAO triggers we have are great. Out of the box.

No its not because I want polymer. It's all about the pricing. The cz p-01 seems to be over 100 dollars more then the 07. I've held the p07 and it does feel well made, solid. But for my second pistol pricing is a huge factor.

Gotcha. I would prefer the the P-01 because it has removable grips. I have big hands and replaceable grip panels affords me more options.

Not sure why you would want another compact plastic gun in 9mm since you have one of the better ones already. If you want to stick with 9mm the cz or a Beretta 92fs would be worth a look.

OP said at one point he has smaller hands, thus he should probably avoid a 92FS as you have to have huge gorilla hands for that gun.

Eh. I have smaller hands and have no problem with my 92FS. Actually like it.

Well if you are using it as a range toy then it may not be an issue.  However, if you are using it for self defense or competition the grip is too large if you have large hands and you will find that you have to change your grip (which means time) to reach the magazine release button.