jm1827

Router recommendations?

I've had a lot of crappy routers.  The AC68U is the first that legitimately exceeded all of my expectations and has been 100% hassle free.  The functionality, ease of use, and sheer power make it a favorite for me.  In our house, we have at any given time 2-4 tablets, 3-5 smartphones, 4 wirelessly connected computers, two NASs, and a laptop directly connected to the router.  It's a ton of work to keep up with but the AC68U handles it all without skipping a beat.  

This is good to know, the Belkin I have now has, let's say, been underwhelming.

Routers are meh.  They do not offer much security.  I disabled the router function on my Fios (in other words, put it in bridge mode) and use a ZyXel ZyWall firewall .  I've also used Sonicwall products.  One of the differences is that a firewall uses something called stateful packet inspection, too complicated to explain but it's like having a security guard and a bouncer at your virtual front door. I can detect bad behavior from the outside world and block it.   A $100 router just directs traffic, some offer a little security, but can't compare to a real firewall.

Have a look at this. Great security that wont brake the bank.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA0ZX2RC8863

I have this model at work and just picked up for home.

http://www.costco.com/NETGEAR-Nighthawk-AC1900-Wireless-Dual-Band-Gigabit-Router-(R6900).product.100229075.html

At Costco it is 159.99 right now that is great price.

No problems in the 3 years it has been up and running at work with multiple IPhones and laptops connecting to it.

I have this model at work and just picked up for home.

http://www.costco.com/NETGEAR-Nighthawk-AC1900-Wireless-Dual-Band-Gigabit-Router-(R6900).product.100229075.html

At Costco it is 159.99 right now that is great price.

No problems in the 3 years it has been up and running at work with multiple IPhones and laptops connecting to it.

Thanks, I will take a look at this one also!

Asus makes very good wireless routers now.  I would recommend them over Netgear or Linksys or D-Link.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dcomputers&field-keywords=asus+router

Personally, I've been using an Apple Airport Extreme with very good results.  Mostly because I've got it paired with an Airport Express for seamless wireless extension.

Agree on Asus for home routers. I have two in my house. One acting as a router, the other as an access point.

I don't deal with home stuff too often. When we do a partners home with WiFi we use Ubiquiti now. Setup is a little different as a pc or mac is the controller where config is done. But is not required to be powered on for the system to function. More of a commercial system. But excellent.

Agree on Asus for home routers. I have two in my house. One acting as a router, the other as an access point.

I don't deal with home stuff too often. When we do a partners home with WiFi we use Ubiquiti now. Setup is a little different as a pc or mac is the controller where config is done. But is not required to be powered on for the system to function. More of a commercial system. But excellent.

Yep - We use Ubiquiti access points at work.

Yep - We use Ubiquiti access points at work.

Neat...

Also.. At home I've had good results using a pair of Netgear Powerline Ethernet gadgets to connect the Access Point to the main router. Didn't feel like pulling cat 6 between floors. They do fail for some folks...but I've used and seen quite a few work well. Just in case you need to provide better coverage, want the devices to be wired together (better) and don't want to or can't easily run network cable.

Also...... Narrow channels are generally more reliable than wide ..or really wide channels. MHz setting in your router. Close to the router...80mhz flies... Move a couple rooms away.... Not so much. We generally use 20mhz and i use that at home. 40mhz is middle of the road.

Experiment. You'll figure out what works best for you.

The idea behind eero has existed for a while. You could do it with any hardware you already had. They just packaged it into a nicely designed box.

Sent from my Z812 using Tapatalk

True and the software for the setup is really nice as well. I have the google on Base but like the Eero.

Asus makes very good wireless routers now.  I would recommend them over Netgear or Linksys or D-Link.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dcomputers&field-keywords=asus+router

Personally, I've been using an Apple Airport Extreme with very good results.  Mostly because I've got it paired with an Airport Express for seamless wireless extension. 

I agree with what he said.

I know I'm late to this thread, but I can tell you all those generic $50 routers(linksys, dlink, netgear tplink, etc) at big box stores and whatnot will annoy the crap out of you as they stop working under heavy loads and need rebooting.

Buy an Asus RT-N66U and be done with it.   You do not need an AC68U and won't for some years to come but you can buy one if you'd like.

I get asked this question constantly, it is the only router I recommend unless we start talking about Enterprise routers and that's a whole different animal.

Mine has only been turned off when the power blips.  I've not once had to power cycle it.  Everyone I know has one because I told them to buy one.  20+ people.  Zero complaints.

Thank you all for the help, recommendations and ideas.  I would like to especially thank Kevin125, Kevin went out of his way and really helped me out big time!

Thanks again everyone!

You'll have to check with your providor, but Comcast charges 9-10 dollars a month for a cable modem. Buy your own for 80-100 dollars and it pays for itself in less then a year.

I am looking into the Arris cable modems. Do any of the Arris models support the cable phone as well as Internet? I have my phone bundled from Comcast, so it's all in the one box that I rent.

I am looking into the Arris cable modems. Do any of the Arris models support the cable phone as well as Internet? I have my phone bundled from Comcast, so it's all in the one box that I rent.

Not the surfboards.  You need a TG282.

Older Model:

https://www.amazon.com/Arris-TG862G-Residential-Gateway-802-11n/dp/B008KRLZCW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1470610714&sr=8-1&keywords=arris++TG862

Newer Model:

https://www.amazon.com/Residential-Gateway-802-11n-GigaPort-TG862G-CT/dp/B00NR1EHP8/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1470610714&sr=8-3&keywords=arris++TG862

Thanks. The reviews indicate that comcast keeps on sneakily activating their open wifi on these units. Maybe I should go with another phone option? Or is their a modem with internet/phone without the built-in wifi?