So Td announced the coin counters are never coming back which sucks because I've put atleast $5000 thru them over the years. Any other banks have a machine that's free to use or doesn't cost a ridiculous 11% fee like coinstar? I know a lot of banks won't even accept rolled coins. I think chase might even for non members. Anyone have experience with them? Td bank now has nothing to offer me anymore so I might just close my accounts and take my business elsewhere

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

So Td announced the coin counters are never coming back which sucks because I've put atleast $5000 thru them over the years. Any other banks have a machine that's free to use or doesn't cost a ridiculous 11% fee like coinstar? I know a lot of banks won't even accept rolled coins. I think chase might even for non members. Anyone have experience with them? Td bank now has nothing to offer me anymore so I might just close my accounts and take my business elsewhere

I have gone thru a few banks in NJ before I left because there fees and lack of service. When I moved to NC I found a small local bank with only half dozen branches. In 13 years I have never had an issue. I had a revolving home equity type business loan. I walked in one day and they called me in the office to tell me they lowered my interest rate, nothing to do not even a signature they just hit a few buttons on the computer.

As for the coins my family has a 5 gallon water jug that we fill about every 2-3 years and many places are doing away with the machines but we still have a branch you can drop it off and come back later for your money.

Small town bank is what I would look for, forget the big banks!

TD Bank's counters were pulled because they were constantly miscounting. Banks won't accept rolled coins? What if you have your own coin counter machine?

Td will only accept rolled coins from businesses which is fie since I can use my family business account but it's so dumb. I have my own counter and Roller so I think I will just roll and bring to chase. It's free if it's under $200

• How does TD know the rolled coins are from "businesses"? Or do you mean they only accept rolled coins for deposit into commercial accounts?
No idea. It was in the news article I read this morning. Every time I used to use it I had to show my td card to avoid fees. It's probably the same thing, have to show the business card

I just did a quick calculation on a post it note.  If I got it right, $5 worth of nickles has a melted down value of about $2.80.   That's not considering the cost of melting it down and somehow separating the copper and nickle.  

I don't consider Gold to be a very good investment but at least I'm not going to pay 78% over spot for Gold.

Not that it matters to survivalist but most homeowners policies do not cover gold, silver platinum or cash. Another words money.
I am redoing my insurances now and here in NC the only ones who do want riders and appraisals every year so better have a good safe or bury it where it can't be found.

TD Bank's counters were pulled because they were constantly miscounting. Banks won't accept rolled coins? What if you have your own coin counter machine?

I had a 5 gallon bucket of coins. I took three samples from it, massed them, counted them, and averaged them. Then I massed the coins in the bucket. Came up with somewhere around $1250, I forget the exact number. Took them to TD (almost killed the machine) and the result came within one or two dollars of what I estimated. I was stunned. Not about the machine, but about the accuracy of my estimate. But now that you brought it up, I note that the machine was fair. Even though I broke it twice, and there may have been some error in my measurement that randomly confirmed the result.

I had one of those 6 gallon Poland spring jugs almost full and it was $2200. Bought my first car with that

we save all our change in a 5 gal water jug. Last time we cashed it in we paid for 8 days at a resort in Jamaica for my wife and I

I just did a quick calculation on a post it note.  If I got it right, $5 worth of nickles has a melted down value of about $2.80.   That's not considering the cost of melting it down and somehow separating the copper and nickle.  

I don't consider Gold to be a very good investment but at least I'm not going to pay 78% over spot for Gold.

Another source agrees with you:

http://www.coinflation.com/coins/1946-2007-Jefferson-Nickel-Value.html

$0.0278127 is the melt value for the 1946-2014 nickel on May 20, 2016.

• Like 1