checko

What wouldn't you buy used?

I was just looking at some ar accessories and got to thinking its weird that I'll buy complete used firearms and almost anything on a gun except for barrels and triggers. Barrels I guess I'm just nervous someone did something stupid with but I'm not really sure why I won't buy a used trigger.

Is there anything you wouldn't buy even at a good price?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

My serious answer is probably not a whole lot as long as I can inspect it first or very good pictures have been taken. Price would determine how hard I have to look at it. $20 foregrip is much easier to eat the cost if it doesn't work versus a high end optic or upper reciever

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I have bought a lot of used gear - guns, optics, clothing, IFAK components, lights, NODs parts, backpacks, comms gear, knives, pouches... Everything so far has been quality, in new consition, and as advertised. I reckon I have saved upwards of $10k buying used gear over the years.

Some of it has gone back to the manufacturer - for example I recently sent an RMR, one I bought used, back to Trijicon. I had bought it used ~5 years ago. When it arrived there were no issues and I shot the shit out of it mounted to a Glock. Then recently it began losing zero. Trijicon sent me a brand new unit with the upgraded internals, no questions asked. I only paid shipping one way and had it back in under a week. Had a similar issue with Surefire when I broke the mount on an X200 I had bought used. They sent me back a brand new X300U.

The only thing I would be cautious about is armor. Depending how it is stored and handled it may no longer be viable armor and the only way to test it is to take a hit with it. No thanks.

Oddly, brass is the one thing I scrutinize heavily before purchasing.  I want it to come from an indoor range that doesn't allow shooters to bring their own ammo which helps insulate me from getting brass that's been fired multiple times.  I also won't buy .223 brass from military ranges or anywhere that allows the M249 family of guns to be shot as brass that comes out of a SAW is typically trashed after one or two loadings at best due to the very generous chambers of the M249.  Luckily for me, being the guy who likes to attend carbine classes, I walk away with a fair bit of brass from each class.

So is buying an SSA trigger relatively safe? Anything specific on them I should be concerned with?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

I recently bought a Gissele SSA-E used but in practically new condition for 1/2 the price of new. Just inspect it and make sure it not excessively worn , But i wouldn't worry much about it those babies can take a beating.

Assuming excellent condition and operation, and no special historic value, I wouldn't by any used object unless it's priced at least 20% lower than list or MSRP.

That is the least an honest seller should give you. The only exceptions are "new in box" and "pristine" under certain circumstances. Or "unfired" for a gun. 

I see ads all the time for radio equipment, something selling for $750 that I can buy new for $829 from the factory, with the original everything including the warranty. No thanks.