Displaced Texan

Perfect for a rainy fall day...

The morning was rainy and cool, a perfect day for a pot of Texas chili, and home made corn bread.

Both the chili and the corn bread were made correctly....no beans in the chili, like you heathen Yankees seem to like to do, and the cornbread was baked in a cast iron skillet. :D

Couple more hours simmering and it will be dinner time!

post-2136-0-67775100-1476044932_thumb.jpg

post-2136-0-10509600-1476044945_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

I'm a yankee but I never use beans and have a collection of cast iron skillets for searing steaks and making good corn bread.

Looks fantastic.

Your momma must have raised you right, then!!

I love cooking on cast iron.

The meat for the chili was seared in my cast iron, but I don't have a big enough cast iron pot to make a double batch of chili...hence one of my wife's pots for the chili.

Your momma must have raised you right, then!!

I love cooking on cast iron.

The meat for the chili was seared in my cast iron, but I don't have a big enough cast iron pot to make a double batch of chili...hence one of my wife's pots for the chili.

Cornbread is like crack for me. Maybe you wouldn't mind sharing your recipe? Btw it looks perfectly cooked nice and golden on top.

That batch of cornbread is my wife's secret cornbread recipe. Hell, she wont tell me what's in it! She says her cornbread is one of the reasons I married her. She would be correct.

When I make it myself, I cheat, and use Jiffy with some shredded cheese and some diced jalapenos mixed in. Put it in a heated cast iron skillet, pop it in the oven for 20 minutes, and life is pretty damn good.

Displaced Texan:

Your photos and description has my mouth watering…..  Thanks for sharing your approach.  I will have to try your corn bread recipe as well.

My chili recipe is very similar to yours and requires several key ingredients, including:

- Beef brisket cut into very small cubes with some of the fat still on them
- Lean bacon pre-cooked and cut into small pieces and added later
- Gebhardt’s Chili Powder
- Cayenne pepper, fresh minced garlic, oregano, sea salf, black pepper
- Hatch green chili peppers from Hatch, NM
- Red sweet onion, diced
- CIRIO Italian crushed tomatoes
- Corona Beer, (the alcohol cooks out)

Like you, I agree that the best ingredients will produce the most enjoyable and delicious chili.  I like the spice level to be medium hot, so as not to overpower the flavor of the other ingredients.  As the weather starts to turn chillier, (pun intended), then a nice big pot of chili is always very appealing….

AVB-AMG

I HAVE done a beer cheese soup. Lovely!

I also do a pretty damn fine roux gumbo. I will make that next time.

I just made a roux gumbo for a tailgate at Giants stadium when they played the Saints.  It was a gator and chorizo gumbo.  awesome.  

I will most likely make a chicken and shrimp gumbo. My wife won't eat crawfish, or anything too crazy, so for her, I'll keep it simple.

I'll make it in the next couple of weeks, when my schedule settles down a little, and I'll show y'all my method for a no muss, no fuss dark roux made in the oven. So simple, even a Yankee can do it!! :D