SW9racer

Internet phone options

Only reason I have home phone is because its bundled with the tv/internet.  Telemarketers will get you no matter where you are (cell, home etc). 

If your only requirements is to have a separate number, why dont you just sign up for something like Google Voice and get a free number ? 

Out of all of them that I tried like Vonage, Magicjerk, etc. I found Nettalk to be the best. Live humans you can call, One year free with device, real cheap annual fee, never down time, at least I never had. Smartphone app, etc. Transfer your number or pick a new one. Can't beat them. High speed internet needed. I have 3 lines with them.

http://www.nettalk.com/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Internet phones vs Voice over IP?

Skype does an internet phone...  Voice over IP is like Vonage, etc.

Shoretel is good, but it's more of a business solution.

Here's a good comparison

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2483780,00.asp

Voipo is cheap and works.  We've had one here in our office for years.   Needed a line that was going to have a lot of voice traffic on it was had no intention of paying the toll charges from Verizon.  We've since converted our PBS to a Cisco call manager and VoIP.  But the Voipo.com service is still here and works just fine.

https://www.voipo.com/

Ooma.

Hands down fucking awesome.

Have had it since 1/2010. Best thing I ever did.

+1 on Ooma.  In fact, I was able to port my NJ phone numbers with me to FL.   Of course, it does make "Caller ID" a bit interesting for those I call, but... :D

• Like 1

+1 on Ooma. In fact, I was able to port my NJ phone numbers with me to FL. Of course, it does make "Caller ID" a bit interesting for those I call, but... :D

So for Ooma, I buy the device then it is free forever? I also see they have a monthly plan, is that just for more features?

I want a native FL number, to make my decontamination complete!

Only thing i pay every month is taxes. < $5/month for me currently.

You can port your number, or you can ask for a new one.

It'll work anyplace it has an internet connection.

You could assign it a USA number, take it to France, and use it there and be making "local" calls to friends and family.

They have a "Premier" program that gives you some fancy shit, but I never saw the need for it. Honestly you could do most of the premier stuff by using Google Voice and having it forward to your Ooma number, or any other number for that matter.

So for Ooma, I buy the device then it is free forever? I also see they have a monthly plan, is that just for more features?

I want a native FL number, to make my decontamination complete!

As sota said, you pay the taxes you would pay if you were paying for the service regularly.  The "Premium" service I think is in the $125-145 range per year and is billed annually.  I have the premium service.

As sota said, you pay the taxes you would pay if you were paying for the service regularly.  The "Premium" service I think is in the $125-145 range per year and is billed annually.  I have the premium service.

Screw paying the taxes.  I already pay them on my primary VoIP line.  Since VoIP is mobile when the other service asked me to enter my location so they could calculate the tax I just entered London England - now no tax!

If all OP want is to have a dummy phone number that sends the marketers to black hole, why spend any money at all ? GoogleVoice.

Looking for a house phone, to give out for various appointments/deliveries/ and as a backup for cell service, and calling the in laws without tying up the cell. comcast is too much, so want a 3rd party. The ooma is looking good.

Looking for a house phone, to give out for various appointments/deliveries/ and as a backup for cell service, and calling the in laws without tying up the cell. comcast is too much, so want a 3rd party. The ooma is looking good.

Definitely makes sense if you are going to make and receive actual calls. Good choice.