AlDente67

Please help, car rental in San Fran

I used to be a premier member of a few plans, but not used any of them in recent years, so all had expired.

I am looking to book a rental next weekend from SFO.  I've checked the typical sites...Kayak, Priceline, etc...but all of them are over the map.  Had a deal with Sixt, but they seem to utterly clueless, trying to book me in Orlando under a different first name (some guy coming from the UK0, so I scrubbed it.

What's the best site to get the best price on a decent mid-size lux ride?  I don't want an economy box.  But they all seem to lure you in for a great rate, and then the fees and taxes tack on at least 50% on top.  Frustrating.

I'm just going from SFO to the Oakland area for a few days.  NAV would be nice.

• Like 1

I use the Rental Car websites. But WATCHOUT and read the fine print. When I rented in SFO, I drove across the Golden Gate Bridge once, and was charged an EZPass, or whatever they called it, for everyday of the rental. Use it once and you'll pay for everyday. Also, I always turn down their insurance as I rent using my CC that will cover damages.

I always just go through every rental company's own website (dollar.com, hertz.com, avis.com, etc), and find the best price. The rental car area at SFO can be an absolute disaster as far as being a sea of humanity. Certain programs offer a "skip the line" perk if you sign up for their rewards program, which is typically free. I'd consider looking into that.

I also check back almost every day even after I book the car because prices are constantly changing. Sometimes, if you check the day before you go, prices will be a fraction of what you booked it for. And because i never pre-pay, you can simply cancel your existing reservation and book again at the updated lower price.

I use Budget thru my companies discount code.  Never had an issue, but make sure the ccard u are using covers rental agreements.  I used CreditOne last vacation and they will not cover after i called them.  Going forward I will check w ccard co b4 I pay for the car.  PM me, I can give u the code. 

I also booked a car at SFO for this weekend through Priceline, but when I went back to modify my reservation yesterday, prices were much higher so I left my original reservation in tact.  

As an aside, I found that Silvercar was actually cheaper than most of the major chains for me with some discount codes, but in my case I'm not returning the car to SFO so I didn't go with them.  Just a reminder to check their prices.

.... Also, I always turn down their insurance as I rent using my CC that will cover damages.

I also always do this, but when I had a deer hit in Texas, turns out the CC (Amex) only pays what your own auto insurance does not pay. So while my out of pocket was zero, it was a liability claim against my own policy first.

I've found that smaller rental companies can cause big delays. Is price all that matters? Always decline insurance, yes you are responsible but you're covered in several ways...home policy, your own car policy and credit card as last resort (some credit cards offer primary insurance). I always use Hertz if possible, they're most expensive but many times customer is paying. If I'm paying I may shop around but it'll cost you a lot more if you miss your flight especially if it's the last one out that day! 

Your phone most likely has a much better GPS than the rental NAV. Don't bother with it. I just say OK Google get me the fastest route to O'Hare and it does. It will take you around traffic like you were a local. Don't take the gas option - fill it up within 20 miles of returning. 

If I go to an urban area, I use Uber.  Did so a few times in SF as well.
Otherwise, my choice in Enterprise, with the Emerald Club membership.  The price you pay is always small sedan (which they call "intermediate", but in fact it is something like Corolla or Sentra) but you can choose from a wide variety from whatever is available.  Last car I rented for that price was Impala V6, not bad.