Pizza Bob

TTC Disappointment

29 minutes ago, Golf battery said:

No.  Schultz clearly says in english.  Nuthhhhing.   Then rolls eyes. 

But this post clearly means nothing to me since i am not the owner of such said firearm.  

A well deserved 

good story 

On 8/24/2017 at 8:59 AM, Pizza Bob said:

I know that TTC has been given glowing accolades on this board, as evidenced by the separate long thread on here that sings its praises. Had my experience there been the same, I wouldn’t be writing this.

First, the back story: Back in May or June I read a post on another firearms site, from a young man from Denmark. He was planning a vacation to the US for August and the purpose of his post was that, while here, he wished to experience shooting a .50 BMG rifle. It just so happens that one of our board members (Golf Battery – sorry for outing you Ed) has a Barrett in .50 BMG. I contacted him and he was amenable to letting our Danish friend shoot a couple rounds.

It is problematic to find a range that allows the use of a .50 BMG rifle, but I recalled that TTC touted that very fact on their website…

…and is one of the very few N.J. firearms ranges that can accommodate a 50 caliber BMG!

So I replied to the post that we could grant his desire. We kept in touch in the intervening months. He arrived as expected and we decided on last night (8/23) as the time. The three of us (plus his hosts, who had to chauffeur him around) arranged to meet at TTC.

The day before I decided that someone walking in with a .50 Cal Barrett probably wasn’t an everyday occurrence, so as a courtesy, I e-mailed them to insure that what we intended met with their approval. I asked that I be contacted ASAP if there was a problem. No response was forthcoming. Independently, Ed had the same thoughts and called them. He got an answer in the affirmative. Our Danish guest, Nick, also called and was not told that this was disallowed..

It wasn’t until it our guest was actually on the way to the facility, that Ed got a phone call telling him that .50 BMG was verboten on their range. Too late to stop Nick, so Ed and I went to the range to meet Nick and hopefully, talk TTC into allowing us to just put a couple rounds down range.

As has been oft repeated in the other TTC thread, it is an impressive facility – not my taste, but facilities like this are needed to bring more people to the sport. The staff was very accommodating, until they found out why we were there. While they weren’t impolite or rude, the atmosphere did turn decidedly chilly. There was no acquiescence on their part and Nick left disappointed.

Their range, their rules, but what I found particularly abhorrent about the whole situation, was TTC touting their ability to handle .50 BMG as a selling point for the range, being contacted several times in advance with no negative feedback on our intentions – until it was too late, – and then a refusal to even consider it. Not to mention how it made us look to our guest, and I’m not talking personally, I mean as the US shooting community. Coming from a country with laws even more draconian than NJ, I guess Nick’s expectations were pretty low on this ever happening, but he was visibly disappointed.

I contacted TTC and requested that they remove the passage about .50 BMG from their site, or, at the very least specify that while the backstop could handle it, actually shooting a .50 BMG at their range was prohibited.

A black eye for us all the way around.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

@Golf batteryand you talk. Cause he's calling you fake news. So did you haves bad experience, or does @Golf battery not have a .50 bmg?

18 hours ago, bry@n said:

Noise and blow back should be considered. I'd shoot it out doors personally. 

Dickhead alert

If I'm shooting at an indoor range and the dude next to me is lighting off a 556 or 12 gauge I go bananas.  If the dude has a 50 BMG, I will leave and ask for a refund.   

Ridiculous 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Ray Ray said:

Dickhead alert

If I'm shooting at an indoor range and the dude next to me is lighting off a 556 or 12 gauge I go bananas.  If the dude has a 50 BMG, I will leave and ask for a refund.   

Ridiculous 

You'll BE IN LINE BEHIND ME, lol!  OR I'd be hittin'-up the guns' owner for some trigger time on his dime :) !  Plugs, a shaped rubber barrier customized to fit inside the muffs, and then the muffs themselves are required to lite-off a BMG inside IMHO...

I still think it can be done:

Under special circumstances, and arranged in advance, with the entire facility closed to that special event, and if the backstop can actually handle it, I'd consider a "function fire test" (which is basically what Bob & Co. are trying to do) if I were a partner there.  They (several people) called in advance to get the needed clearance (WHICH THEY DID), so I'm extremely disappointed FOR THEM!

FUN FACTS FOR THOSE THAT HAVEN'T SHOT A BMG YET:

There is a You-Tube video floating around where a dude fires his 82A1 towards a window down a standard 3' wide hallway INSIDE A HOUSE so nobody can see the muzzle flash...HE COLLAPSES THE WALLS OF THE HALLWAY with the muzzle break back-blast IN ONE SHOT:)  At an indoor range, the guns laying to the immediate right & left ports may get BLOWN ON THE FLOOR, along with anything else that isn't TIED-DOWN!  Outdoors I've seen neighbor's shooting mats get blown off the boardwalk (OBR&PC's Firing Line) while shooting prone position.

• Like 1

A guy was shooting one off at cherry ridge a while back, granted it was pretty empty that day and he picked an end slot... 

Well of course i made my way over to watch him shoot it off, the muzzle blast is NO JOKE. I was standing to the side and back about 10 feet( I was standing in the drive way) and still got hit with it in a way I was not expecting.     Powerful is an understatement, that round is a beast. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Ray Ray said:

Dickhead alert

Ridiculous 

A little sensitive ? At least you will never shoot beside me.

3 hours ago, JackDaWack said:

A guy was shooting one off at cherry ridge a while back, granted it was pretty empty that day and he picked an end slot... 

Well of course i made my way over to watch him shoot it off, the muzzle blast is NO JOKE. I was standing to the side and back about 10 feet( I was standing in the drive way) and still got hit with it in a way I was not expecting.     Powerful is an understatement, that round is a beast. 

Best place to stand is right "on the six" of the person squeezin' the trigger.  The Abrams Tank style muzzle break works to pull the rifle FORWARD THRU THE USE OF DIRECTED GAS VENTING AT TWIN 45* ANGLES TO THE BORE.  So standing to either side instead of DIRECTLY BEHIND the shooter will yield a face full of hot gas & burned rifle powder (Gun Powder Residue).  Don't try to board a plane in the same clothes, lol :) .  It's also marginally quieter on the shooter's six instead of the position you were in to watch.  If ya got a good sniffer, once ya get used to being around .50 BMG's, you can tell the ammo brand from the back blast, as there are several powders used by different manufacturers :) 

20 hours ago, Ray Ray said:

Dickhead alert

Ridiculous 

For some reason my first post didn't take so flame away...

Ray - I'm with you, 50BMG indoors is just plain obnoxious and stupid.  Might as well light a M-80 on your shoulder, Accomplishes the same thing, makes lots of noise and proves nothing.

#2 Pizza Bob - I hope your arthritis gets better.  Spell out Tactical Training Center.  TTC means shit to me.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Redlines said:

A little sensitive ? At least you will never shoot beside me.

Nope, just that indoor ranges suck for rifles and shotguns.   I shoot the above mentioned outside.

Well.  I got a person that was interested in my 50 from this thread. After going back and forth.  They bought it from me for the same price i paid for it.  And i got it for a steal.   Better luck with them finding a place to shoot it. 

4 minutes ago, Golf battery said:

Well.  I got a person that was interested in my 50 from this thread. After going back and forth.  They bought it from me for the same price i paid for it.  And i got it for a steal.   Better luck with them finding a place to shoot it. 

yea sure you just happened to sell the gun you claimed several times not owning...