Tony13

What do I need for 3 gun?

42 posts in this topic

I’ve been checking out videos and articles on 3 gun competitions. It looks like something I’d like to get into. Rules I’ve seen for some say you must have certain training certs, some I didn’t see any requirements.  So what should I do or be looking for to start my journey? I have no formal training but have been shooting a while. I definitely want to take some classes, but don’t want to waste my time/money where I don’t have to.

Thx,

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, louu said:

Hi Tony, Have you ever shot any kind of match, steel challenge, uspsa, idpa, or anything like that?

i bet you ain't settin' up any matches in this weather. i'm anxious for the next meet though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

start your journey with a steel challenge match to get comfortable in the shooting sports, and then move on to USPSA.

old bridge and central jersey hold matches nearly ever weekend ( during the spring/summer/fall months )

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It might be a little far from you, but Tenafly has (indoor!) action pistol matches most Sunday evenings starting at 5 pm.  This week is steel challenge (5 targets per stage, each stage run through 5 times).   It's very beginner friendly, and while they'd like you to have 5 magazines for whatever you shoot (centerfire pistol, rimfire pistol, rimfire rifle, pistol-caliber carbine, each with or without optics), you won't need a holster or belt for the pistol events.   

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, louu said:

Hi Tony, Have you ever shot any kind of match, steel challenge, uspsa, idpa, or anything like that?

Haven't shot anything Lou. I read your posts and will definitely get down to checkout a few of your matches this year. Pick your brain a little to if given the chance. Since you've organized some events ill ask you is it required to have certain training certs?

Seems to be that I should start from the beginning with a holster draw, EP1 or such class. Same with the rifle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, 10X said:

It might be a little far from you, but Tenafly has (indoor!) action pistol matches most Sunday evenings starting at 5 pm.  This week is steel challenge (5 targets per stage, each stage run through 5 times).   It's very beginner friendly, and while they'd like you to have 5 magazines for whatever you shoot (centerfire pistol, rimfire pistol, rimfire rifle, pistol-caliber carbine, each with or without optics), you won't need a holster or belt for the pistol events.   

Sounds like a good time. I'm not against a road trip even if it is just to check it out and learn. Is there a website I can get some info from?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, 10X said:

It might be a little far from you, but Tenafly has (indoor!) action pistol matches most Sunday evenings starting at 5 pm.  This week is steel challenge (5 targets per stage, each stage run through 5 times).   It's very beginner friendly, and while they'd like you to have 5 magazines for whatever you shoot (centerfire pistol, rimfire pistol, rimfire rifle, pistol-caliber carbine, each with or without optics), you won't need a holster or belt for the pistol events.   

Thanks for sharing this.

I took a look at their website and they say that registration is at 4:30, but do you need to call ahead if you're new?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you are looking for training, shoot me a PM, a member of my 3-Gun team runs his own training company so he could provide really productive training.

Aside from the 3 guns, caddies, belt, holster, mag carriers, and a pile of ammo ( I believe i burned 10k+ this season) you'll want to train with a shot timer.

I would look at the Safariland ELS belt system.  It allows total flexibility which when you are new is great.  I would estimate half or more of 3-gunners use ELS.  If you get to a 40 round shotgun stage and realize you're a quad load short of where you'd be comfortable, you can borrow a caddy from anyone else using ELS and pop it right on your belt super easy.  Any other system you're up shits creek.  If you're pistol goes down and someone is willing to share, same thing.  Holster (QLS) pops right off/on.  Same with magazine pouches.  I can convert from one pistol and mags to another in 15 seconds blindfolded with someone elses gear no problem.

For shotgun caddies, I'd start looking at Invictus for the best value.  Plan to learn to quad load and buy accordingly, it's easier than loading a different way and then realizing you need to quad load and then having to learn to quad anyways.  Especially since some caddies are specific.  

Shooting carts are nice to haul to 50 pounds of crap around at matches.  Converted wagons or baby strollers are also popular.  If you don't go this route you really need something like the Safariland or Voodoo 3-gun soft case with the backpack straps so that you can pack your 50 pounds of crap into that one bag and drag it stage to stage

Ontelaunee 3-gun matches are beginner friendly and they have their dates posted for 2018, my team and I will be attending all of them if you want to squad with us just shoot me a PM.

http://www.blindsquirrelsquad.com/index.php/ontelaunee-3gun/

If you want to bounce any other questions off me, fire away.  

 

 

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, 1LtCAP said:

i bet you ain't settin' up any matches in this weather. i'm anxious for the next meet though.

First official match is the fourth Sunday in March. We're probably going to do another introduction to 3 gun shoot in February but I might get that moved if possible to mid March. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 124gr9mm said:

Thanks for sharing this.

I took a look at their website and they say that registration is at 4:30, but do you need to call ahead if you're new?

Their website is good for a range overview and for the address, but the Action Pistol info is badly out of date.   Once you attend one match, you are on the email list from which you get weekly emails (during their Oct-May season) describing what they are really running on any given Sunday.   The email for Sunday 1/7's match is below.   I'm not a member of the club, but I plan to get to this Sunday's match, maybe bringing along my nephew.   You don't need to call ahead if you're new, but do identify yourself as a new shooter when you arrive; they'll give you a more extended safety briefing.   Targets will be steel plates between 6" and 12" or so in diameter, probably shot at 50 feet.  You just need to hit them, these won't be set for knock down.  Just shoot at whatever pace allows you to hit most of them on the first shot, be safe, and have fun!  It's $10 to enter one gun, $5 if you elect to enter with a second gun.  No prizes given, which helps keep the match low-key, inexpensive, and beginner friendly, but they will email out match results afterwards.

Most of the pistol/revolver shooters will be drawing from holsters, but that's optional, and I highly recommend that new shooters simply start from a low ready position, with their extra mags on the table in front of them.   Sometimes they remember to add a small time penalty for shooters who start with gun in hand, sometimes they don't.   Again, it's all pretty low-key.

*******************************************
Happy New Year, Shooters!
 
This Sunday will be Steel Challenge.
 
Steel Challenge center fire, rim fire, and pistol caliber carbine.
5:00 Registration opens
5:30 Registration closes - no late entries
5:30 First Shot
 
No major or magnum loads.  No 230gr 45acp.  No shotguns.
Minimum 5 magazines or speed loaders.
 
Please register for this week’s match at the following URL for our club: https://practiscore.com/steel-challenge-clone/register
 
You can register with just your name and email, but if you create a Practiscore account you’ll be able to see upcoming matches and get results online as well.  We will still collect the match fee and create squads on Sunday night. Registered shooters will have preference over walk-ins. Match closes at 20 shooters.
 
See you on the range!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Tony13 said:

Haven't shot anything Lou. I read your posts and will definitely get down to checkout a few of your matches this year. Pick your brain a little to if given the chance. Since you've organized some events ill ask you is it required to have certain training certs?

Seems to be that I should start from the beginning with a holster draw, EP1 or such class. Same with the rifle.

Like Alex said it would be a lot easier to start with Steel Challenge that was you can get used to all the basic safety requirements, range commands, safe table rules while only concentrating on one gun. USPSA would be the next step so you can get use to running around with a gun and not break the 180. I'm not trying to steer you away from three gun but I've seen so many people come out for the first couple of matches not having shot any other type of action match and break the 180 with their shotgun every time. The Shotgun is a whole nother animal and takes some practice at home (with dummy shells) to get use to loading, moving different directions and all that.

To go backwards a little bit in this post I will say that steel Challenge and USPSA is a hell of a good time and you will meet some awesome people. Is also super addictive. 

Myself I'm strongly against all those tactical Timmy training classes unless you're a police officer or something like that. They're way too overpriced for what you get. Spend that money on ammo and you will naturally become better at gun handling. I'm usually around most Sundays unless I'm shooting a match somewhere and I will give anyone a basic 3 gun class for free and that goes for everyone. 

Some of the ranges in the area require you to have a USPSA or IDPA classification in order to compete at their 3-gun matches. Quinton Sportsmen's Club does not. Obviously I don't know you so I have no idea how familiar you are with this stuff. I have seen some people come out to a 3-gun match having not shot any other action match before and do really well and we're perfectly safe the whole time. 

Not sure how much gear you have or how much you looking to spend but if you like I can post some links to places to get stuff and some less expensive entry-level things to get to get you started.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks all for the responses and info. Lots of good stuff for me to look into. I’ll probably checkout a few events first before jumping into anything. You guys gave me a lot of options. Now I have to look at steel challenges too. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, louu said:

Let me know if you want to go to any steel challenges at CJ I try to go to most of them, we can squad together and talk 3 gun. They are the first Sunday of the month. http://www.centraljerseysteel.com/home.html

Very cool. Will do. I didn’t even know this existed, I’m fairly close to CJ.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok  I have an equipment question. What would be a good optic to choose for the AR? This question is not so much for what’s the best brand, but is just a red dot good enough or would I be better off with some type of magnification?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/3/2018 at 0:18 PM, 10X said:

Their website is good for a range overview and for the address, but the Action Pistol info is badly out of date.   Once you attend one match, you are on the email list from which you get weekly emails (during their Oct-May season) describing what they are really running on any given Sunday.   The email for Sunday 1/7's match is below.   I'm not a member of the club, but I plan to get to this Sunday's match, maybe bringing along my nephew.   You don't need to call ahead if you're new, but do identify yourself as a new shooter when you arrive; they'll give you a more extended safety briefing.   Targets will be steel plates between 6" and 12" or so in diameter, probably shot at 50 feet.  You just need to hit them, these won't be set for knock down.  Just shoot at whatever pace allows you to hit most of them on the first shot, be safe, and have fun!  It's $10 to enter one gun, $5 if you elect to enter with a second gun.  No prizes given, which helps keep the match low-key, inexpensive, and beginner friendly, but they will email out match results afterwards.

Most of the pistol/revolver shooters will be drawing from holsters, but that's optional, and I highly recommend that new shooters simply start from a low ready position, with their extra mags on the table in front of them.   Sometimes they remember to add a small time penalty for shooters who start with gun in hand, sometimes they don't.   Again, it's all pretty low-key.

*******************************************
Happy New Year, Shooters!
 
This Sunday will be Steel Challenge.
 
Steel Challenge center fire, rim fire, and pistol caliber carbine.
5:00 Registration opens
5:30 Registration closes - no late entries
5:30 First Shot
 
No major or magnum loads.  No 230gr 45acp.  No shotguns.
Minimum 5 magazines or speed loaders.
 
Please register for this week’s match at the following URL for our club: https://practiscore.com/steel-challenge-clone/register
 
You can register with just your name and email, but if you create a Practiscore account you’ll be able to see upcoming matches and get results online as well.  We will still collect the match fee and create squads on Sunday night. Registered shooters will have preference over walk-ins. Match closes at 20 shooters.
 
See you on the range!

Thanks again for posting this.

I went tonight and had a great time.

Great atmosphere for someone looking for a place to start.  Good mix of people who worked with holsters and without.

Very safe and very well run.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, 124gr9mm said:

Thanks again for posting this.

I went tonight and had a great time.

Great atmosphere for someone looking for a place to start.  Good mix of people who worked with holsters and without.

Very safe and very well run.

 

Great--glad it worked out!   I came down with some kind of nasty bug, and had to skip the match.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Tony13 said:

Ok  I have an equipment question. What would be a good optic to choose for the AR? This question is not so much for what’s the best brand, but is just a red dot good enough or would I be better off with some type of magnification?

Depends on what you want to accomplish.

Around here, you're not going to find a match past 300 yards and most are 100 yards max.  Due to this, and my good eyes, I decided to run 3-Gun nation "Factory" division, otherwise known as "limited" or "irons" which allows one non magnified optic. 

I use a Vortex SpitfireAR with great success.  It is actually not a red dot but a prism sight which means you can do red/green dot like a normal red dot, but when it's off it's a black dot.  Due to this it's the best "red dot" for those with astigmatisms in their eyes as it won't starburst.  I have shot this optic out to 400 yards on 10" unpainted plates and it was "ok", holdovers become more challenging the more extreme they get without a BDC.

If you really want to zoom, the 1-6 and now 1-8 variable zooms dominate the game.  Vortex #1, atibal is a popular budget option as well.  This puts you into "practical" or "tac ops" divisions.  Then you're playing against 12 round shotgun tubes and 25 round pistol mags as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Tony13 said:

Ok  I have an equipment question. What would be a good optic to choose for the AR? This question is not so much for what’s the best brand, but is just a red dot good enough or would I be better off with some type of magnification?

I'll recommend anything from Vortex because it's good shit, they support the 3 gun community and the warranty is unbeatable. 

As far as red dot or scope that's up to you there is divisions for both. Every big match tac-ops (tac-scope) is the biggest division. Some matches like the topton/New holland series only honors tac-ops.

 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I'll recommend anything from Vortex because it's good shit, they support the 3 gun community and the warranty is unbeatable. 
As far as red dot or scope that's up to you there is divisions for both. Every big match tac-ops (tac-scope) is the biggest division. Some matches like the topton/New holland series only honors tac-ops.
 
+1 on Vortex

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Pew Pew Plates said:

They are honoring limited this season, but the York series is not

To quote Dean's post on benos

"Only Tact Ops division will be recognized for the points, but you may shoot anything you want for fun."

To go with said quote another quote:

"The matches at New Holland will be using the long range and you will see some shooting out to 550-600 yards."

So... like really glad I got a good scope finally. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.