Sign in to follow this  
tbtrout

Everyone has favorites

What is your favorite handgun caliber? Not a comparison, but why do you shoot that caliber.

I am currently on a 9mm kick because of cost savings, but I can't deny my love for my 45's. I just like the feel of shooting them.

Now if I could only get a BFR in 45/70

Well my favorite is 9mm. After range renting for several months i decided to go with the 9mm , mostly because of the cheaper price for ammo. This is not to say i have any qualms with other calibers. Ive actually already been contemplating my next purchase. Shot a HK .40 call at shore shot a few weeks ago, and really really liked its feel. Also thought that Maksim's .22 was fun at the range last week too, do i really have to pick a favorite :lol:

I am still too new. I have a .45 XD and just ordered a Ruger SR9 as well as some rifles. After seeing the berreta storm on here I had to order one. I think it is just like tools you have different ones for different jobs. I love my .45 but I think the 9 is going to be my new IDPA gun for a while. Less kick easier for someone new to shooting to double tap with accuracy. But for fun and cost I like the MKIII .22.

No need to pick a favorite then so early on in your shooting hobby. Just be like Heff and try a new one each month.

ROFL! That is the funniest thing I've heard all week :lol:

I've only shot 9mm, .40, and 22LR. The .40 makes my ears ring even with my ear protection on. The kick is also too great for my polymer Glock so I got a 9mm conversion barrel. 9mm has enough kick to allow you to train yourself not to jerk the trigger. If you were allowed to do rapid fire I would have to say the 22LR is the most fun. Put a heavy barrel on and unload while still maintaining a decent group. ;)

No need to pick a favorite then so early on in your shooting hobby. Just be like Heff and try a new one each month.

ROFL! That is the funniest thing I've heard all week :lol:

I've only shot 9mm, .40, and 22LR. The .40 makes my ears ring even with my ear protection on. The kick is also too great for my polymer Glock so I got a 9mm conversion barrel. 9mm has enough kick to allow you to train yourself not to jerk the trigger. If you were allowed to do rapid fire I would have to say the 22LR is the most fun. Put a heavy barrel on and unload while still maintaining a decent group. ;)

22LR is a blast to shoot. 9mm is my all around fav. Shooting hipower calibers in glocks is a well...asking for it. Esp in a 40 cal. 40 s&w is a high compression cartridge that almost kicks more than a 45acp. I would shoot 45acp any day over 40. =)

Shooting 40sw in a Walther P99 was the most dreadful experience I had with handguns, second to a glock in a 40/45.

For a 9mm, glocks are ok.

I shoot both the .40 and the .45 and my observation is the .40 recoils faster and sharper than the .45, however in terms of the actual push backwards I feel the .45 is harder. Two months ago I purchased the .357Sig barrel for my Sig229.

WOW :o the recoil is severe !

I'm kind of in the same boat. I love my .45's, but they are too pricey to shoot. So, I spend a lot of time with the 9mm.

I'll shoot the .22 once in a while, but the bang is so little that I get bored fast. If I shoot the .22, I'll bring along my Saiga shotgun or something that makes a loud bang (hey, I believe in balance in life!)

I prefer 9mm, .45 and .22lr for handguns. I've had a Glock 22 and a Berreta Centurian 96 in .40. Sold both. I still have a CZ75SA in .40 though. Can't say I'm big on the .40. As someone else mentioned, the higher pressure/sharper cycling wears on me after a while. I can shoot .45 all day. Of course 9mm is great too. Cheaper practice, more practice and you can focus on form.

I shoot both the .40 and the .45 and my observation is the .40 recoils faster and sharper than the .45, however in terms of the actual push backwards I feel the .45 is harder. Two months ago I purchased the .357Sig barrel for my Sig229.

WOW :o the recoil is severe !

Yup, my friend owns a S&W Sigma 40 and I've got a Sig229 40 and they both kick worse than my XD45! Especially the Sigma, it actually hurts my hand and I don't shot that anymore.

I'm another 1911 fan. It was my issue weapon in the Army and I just fell in love with it. I'm not impressed with 9mm at all. Big slow bullets make big messy holes. I had an H&K USP in 40 it was nice but I had too many calibers so I decided to slim down the collection and focus on 45s. I would like to get a 45ACP wheel gun some day.

TC