Ray Ray

More than one gun?

I noticed quite a few of my fellow bloggers here use more than one firearm for home defense. I use two firearms (shotgun under the bed, and a 38 on the nightstand) that are always ready. Is this the norm or do you guys only use one firearm? Maybe one for you and one for the wife. Or maybe even 3, 1 on each nightstand and the scattergun under the bed? I'm just curious, since I might change things up a bit (maybe 3 or even 4). :evil:

+ 1 with the 4 D battery maglite!

My daughter is one year old now and soon she'll be running around, so biometric safe for the pistol(s). But I think I might leave the shotgun as is ( not loaded but rounds on the slide and stock).

2 shotguns- 12ga and 20ga loaded and ready. 1 customized AR next to the bed, 15 round mag in easy reach. and a 91/30 hidden JIC. oh and my APBT :D

What's a "APBT"?

+ 1 with the 4 D battery maglite!

My daughter is one year old now and soon she'll be running around, so biometric safe for the pistol(s). But I think I might leave the shotgun as is ( not loaded but rounds on the slide and stock).

Shotgun with rounds on the slide and stock ... innovative, (useful for a range, hunting), but that's not such a good idea at home. For HD, if you can't keep a gun loaded then you might as well keep it in a safe (and be able to open it quickly without fumbling). But, given there are kids around (your 1 year old), it's best to keep/hang a gun high enough that young kids can't get to (at least the little ones).

Or you can install a simple shelf and keep the gun there (in bedroom, etc.)

I keep my pump 12 GA shotgun loaded (not cocked) on top of a tall curio. The shotgun is best "served" with a 150+ lumens LED that can also strobe (very disorienting). btw. SIG makes a good light that's rail mounted and doubles as a vertical grip. (Found one for $200 in PA gun show. Was tempted to buy it (lists for almost $300), but resisted rightly ... I have 4 strong lights already!)

I also keep a handgun in an electronic safe (w/ loaded mags, ready to go). (I don't trust biometrics, I know they are unreliable.)

If anyone is in doubt, don't ever use a rifle for HD (though, a 9mm carbine (rifled) is a good standby alternative), more so in NJ with the stupid and ambiguous HD laws (even in your home). If you kill your threat is one thing (you can at least defend your action), but if your rifle round(s) goes through walls and kills the neighbor, then you have less strong a defense ... YMMV.

Please note, the "castle doctrine" is not a "given" in NJ. With the law, you are on your own.

How many guns, where they are located, loaded or not, locked in a safe or out in the open. We could discuss this forever. Everyone here lives in a different part of the state and some have different needs than others. I think we can all agree that the minimum should be a pistol with a flashlight on the rail or close by. Anything more could be whatever your needs (or wants) suggest.

I keep my .45 on the nightstand, loaded with my Insight M6x on the rail. A few feet away in my closet there's the FP6 Pump, M14 and P30L in case the zombies show up.

Gotta watch out for them dam zombies! :D

Yeah, with two small boys that can get into anything and everything and are great at figuring things out, especially the breaking of said things, my HD primary is four legged also. Will probably add some long guns next year, a .22LR & shotgun, most likely an 870 or equivalent.

I keep two in the bedroom, two in the living room, three in the den, two in the linnen closet and three in the storage closet. I think I got them all.

I'm retired and It's just me and the wife. All are loaded except the ones in the closets. ///END/// :twisted:

Sorry, but I hope the guy breaking in doesn't find them first. Being shot with your own gun problably sucks. As your standing there and seeing him pull the trigger, your thinking, "maybe the Glock 30 should've stayed in the safe." A little overkill no?

Well if you can't get to the Gun when you need it, then why have a gun in the house at all. In my experience with HOME INVASION, you won't have much time to go to the next room to get that gun. It's better to have Overkill than to be Killed trying to get to your gun. I hope you never have to experience a HOME INVASION. I feel very Safe

and Secure in my home........All visitors are welcome. :lol:

I keep numerous. Depending on the type of house you have. I keep a least one in my bedroom (upsatirs), & one downstairs. If the day comes if I'll ever have to use one, I'll have one pretty close at hand. Intruders don't always wait til your asleep.

Well if you can't get to the Gun when you need it, then why have a gun in the house at all. In my experience with HOME INVASION, you won't have much time to go to the next room to get that gun. It's better to have Overkill than to be Killed trying to get to your gun. I hope you never have to experience a HOME INVASION. I feel very Safe

and Secure in my home........All visitors are welcome. :lol:

Understandable, but when the time comes, my forgetful @ss would forget where the Px4 is and run up to get the 870 anyway.