Ray Ray

More than one gun?

I couldn't agree more about the home invasion talk. I think its a much worse thought when someone is trying to come into the house when they know you are awake (because they knocked on the door and waited for you to answer to push you in!). I don't want to shoot anyone. I would be perfectly happy if I could live my life as peaceful as possible, so I would avoid violence at all costs. I never, ever answer the door without seeing who it is, and if there is any question, I wont open it. This is why I think it's most important to have the best locks and doors possible. I also have a CCTV system and can watch all doors form any TV in the house and my PC, and an alarm on all windows in the house. I also have Cell backup if the phone goes down. I sold alarms for 6 years and have seen all sorts of shit that these mutts do to get in your house.

That being said, since I have kids, I cant leave the guns lying around, so I have my Beretta 9MM in my bedroom closet in a lock box. I've timed myself opening and loading the mag, in under 5 seconds, but I know stress will add some time. I also have a Taurus 5 shot snub nose .38 that I will give to my wife if I have to go wandering through the house, even though she detests guns. Some have issues with using a 9MM as a HD weapon, but I shoot that gun very well (although I'm getting better with my P220ST!), so its important to me to have the most comfort when I will be under the most stress.

In my home office where I spend the majority of my life, I have my Glock .40 S&W in an electronic lock box with two mags, right next to it. I go back and forth between that and my Glock 10MM (which is my favorite handgun), especially since 1911fan sold me some sweet doubletap ammo for it! I would love to have my Remington 870 at the ready, because then I know that my aim can be compensated for, plus I LOVE that gun! I just shot it for the first time on Friday, and already shot 250 rounds of target shot, and 50 of slugs between then and today. I can't get enough of that thing.

And finally, down in my basement where I store my rifles and handguns in safes , I keep my 686(?) with a speed loader, loaded with .357. Because after all, how much would it SUCK to be caught down with all your guns and nothing to do with them if you heard something upstairs? Of course if I thought I'd have the time, THEN I would go for the Remington 870.

Anyway, lets hope none of us ever uses their guns for anything but putting holes in targets.

I also have a small child in the house and cannot leave a gun on the nightstand. I bought one of those mini gun safes but the batteries failed long before they should have making it useless without the key. So where do you put the key where a child won't find it ? In another safe ? Thats where mine is and that safe is a long way from the bedroom where I sleep. So I have not completely figured out the home protection thing yet.

I also have a small child in the house and cannot leave a gun on the nightstand. I bought one of those mini gun safes but the batteries failed long before they should have making it useless without the key. So where do you put the key where a child won't find it ? In another safe ? Thats where mine is and that safe is a long way from the bedroom where I sleep. So I have not completely figured out the home protection thing yet.

You can always replace the batteries.

I really don't like to rely on batteries in a potential life or death situation. Its the same reason I don't like guns that would recognize fingerprints , or work because you wear some sort of ring or something that activates the gun. It's another think that can go wrong at the worst possible time.

Look at the Biovault 2.0. It has the AC/DC adapter, so you can plug it in, and use the batteries incase of power outage or cut cables. As with most biometrics, use the key entry for everyday use, and the fingerprint entry for emergency use, since the coils used to open the biometric lock can wear down with use. That way you can keep the key locked away from kids, and in an emergency, just use the biometric scanner. No different than having a battery in your alarm clock for power outages. And just swap out the batteries from time to time with regular maintenance.

Look at the Biovault 2.0. It has the AC/DC adapter, so you can plug it in, and use the batteries incase of power outage or cut cables. As with most biometrics, use the key entry for everyday use, and the fingerprint entry for emergency use, since the coils used to open the biometric lock can wear down with use. That way you can keep the key locked away from kids, and in an emergency, just use the biometric scanner. No different than having a battery in your alarm clock for power outages. And just swap out the batteries from time to time with regular maintenance.

do a google, ran across some bad reviews on this one.

That's going to be my next "gun stuff" purchase when my little one starts walking. Right now she's still a baby (13 1/2 months) but the time will come when tiny fingers find their way into things they shouldn't be. And that has already started.

On where to hide your safe keys, DON'T FORGET where you put them. I did and had to call the company and they sent me a new set. I can't remember but it was like 10 bucks a key I think.

That's going to be my next "gun stuff" purchase when my little one starts walking. Right now she's still a baby (13 1/2 months) but the time will come when tiny fingers find their way into things they shouldn't be. And that has already started.

On where to hide your safe keys, DON'T FORGET where you put them. I did and had to call the company and they sent me a new set. I can't remember but it was like 10 bucks a key I think.

I've got 2 ammo containers that have simple key locks on them, they are not keyed alike. The spare key for the one ammo container is in the opposite ammo container, if I have to drill a lock, by gum it's only going to be one lock ;)

Follow up question: When you get a knock at the door and you know you are not expecting anyone (middle of the night / odd hours / no friends in town / dont know the neigbors / whatever situation) do you grab a gun to bring to the door with you just in case?

I do. Most of my friends call on arrival regardless (old habits), and I usually know if family is coming by. With home invasions creeping into my area, as watchful as my neighborhood is of each other, I'd rather tuck my pistol or have it at the ready if there was a possible odd situation. I also have the AR out and a magazine loaded just in case whenever I'm home.

this thread reminds me of an article i read in some gun rag a few years back. one author was a VERY fat, old guy. the kind of fat that makes it impossible to use a proper isosceles stance. anyway, the magazine asked its regular writers what they personally use as home defense weapons. the said fat guy, who was chomping at the bit to try and sound like an eloquent writer of shakespearean fame, wrote how he had several guns stashed in key areas of his house....in corners, behind couches, all leading to his 'safe room', allowing him to (i quote) 'fight my way out.' i had to laugh.....does he really think he'll get into such a long, drawn-out firefight in HIS OWN HOUSE, to facilitate the need to hide several guns, in anticipation of shooting while running to another cover spot and pick up yet another gun, to perhaps leapfrog by himself to his safe room??

I generally like to keep one pistol in my night table drawer, full mag +1 in the pipe. Right now it is a PM9 w/ns but I may switch out to my new XD45c once I run a few boxes of JHP through it. I personally feel comfortable having a single gun at my immediate disposal at night, though I have been thinking about getting a 12 gauge. My small dogs are not a serious threat to intruders, but they will alert quite clearly when something is wrong.

I try to remain armed whenever I can be legally, so I keep one on my person at home and on my property, especially at night. I'm not comfortable with keeping them hidden but accessible, for fear of an intruder finding it or being between it and me.

Have a 9mm in the night stand. All of my guns in the locker have the ammo on the shelf ready to go (When ze Germans come...or Zombies). I usually keep a half mag loaded for all others on the shelf in my closet.

My Fiancee and I are not preparing for some invasion or war, but strongly believe that when something goes down such as a major attack, natural disaster, etc happens, we may need to protect ourselves, friends, family and neighbors. For the things you don't think about is what we prepare for.

We are going with Food Insurance as well as simple survival items like water purification, MREs, tool kits, first aid kits, crank radios and flashlights, etc.