CAL. .30 M1

Bye Bye M4 - Hello XM5

Details here: https://www.military.com/daily-news/2022/04/19/army-picks-its-replacement-m4-and-saw.html

The force is awarding a 10-year, $20.4 million contract to Sig Sauer for the XM5 Rifle, which will become the new standard rifle for soldiers, and the XM250 Automatic Rifle, which will replace the SAW.

The service will also switch from 5.56mm ammo to 6.8mm, after a search for rounds better built to penetrate body armor.

• Like 1

I realize it's all conjecture at this point but I don't necessarily agree because they have already signed the agreement with Vortex for the new optic that has a built-in ballistic computer. They wouldn't need that level of sophistication for the useable range of the 5.56. It will take years but I don't think they will change from going to the 6.8 Fury. On top of that the US military is looking to open some of the shuttered ammo plants to manufacture more ammo. That tells me they will be making 5.56 and 6.8.

12 hours ago, CAL. .30 M1 said:

Saw an article that 5.56 is no more...army going to 6.8mm.

Prolly.old news....

Yep, saw the article today. I think the article mentioned that we would be able to get the civilian round in "277 Fury". 5.56 and 223 Rem will still be standard fare for us civilians for quite a awhile. 

• Agree 1

I hope they switch as fast as posssible. Then the gun grabbers will have to come up with something other than pretending ar-15s are weapons of war with the most powerful cartridges in the world. 

• Informative 1
  • Haha 1

On 4/28/2022 at 2:24 AM, 15636215 said:

So, where are all the billions upon billions of US 556 ammo going??? CMP!!! YEAH!!!

Biden will give them to the terrorists in Afghanistan.  They need the ammo for the countless rifles we left behind there!:mad:

• Informative 1