Lawnmower2021

7-seater SUV recommendations?

42 minutes ago, gleninjersey said:

Da' guberment.....idiocracy at its finest.

I feel sorry for whoever buys a full size truck with a turbo four banger it.  Doubt they make it much past 100k miles.

I've had long relationship with turbo 4 engines and driving them hard. A well designed  setup with a reasonably chosen turbo will last well past 150k. I did about 9 years and 170k in both of my last two. I think the worst thing I had to replace engine or turbo on them was a leaky main seal at around year 7 on one of them. But I wasn't towing anything. Realistically, most truck owners won't be either. 

6 hours ago, raz-0 said:

Oh it's not scuttlebutt, 2023 is the last year for the charger and challenger, and it's going to spread. There's a reason why Chevy has a full size pickup with a turbo 4 in it. 

i hadn't heard that about those. i thought they were gonna keep the v6 versions.

that turbo4 pickup will show out to be a turd after about 4 to 6 years in service when the turbos all start sucking oil through the seals and costing engines. that's dumber than some of the stuff that ford's done.....

2 hours ago, gleninjersey said:

I feel sorry for whoever buys a full size truck with a turbo four banger it.  Doubt they make it much past 100k miles.

they'll be lucky to make it TO 100k

• Agree 1

My wife loves her 2021 Subaru Ascent. We have 2 captain's chairs instead of the bench in the second row. Third row folds. We're only 22k miles in so I can't speak to how it will hold up to higher mileage. 

26 minutes ago, Danno said:

Kia Telluride. Tops in most every review out there. I've had mine for almost 2 years and almost 80K on it. It's my daily commute and road trip vehicle. It's been everywhere from the Carolinas to the North Maine woods. I'm on my second set of tires.

I was curious about the Telluride and heard good things.  The only dealbreaker is the dealer markups.  Minimum 10k over MSRP back when I was actively looking.  

Thank you everyone for your input! Hopefully for the best, we put a deposit on a Pacifica Touring L with V6 and AWD drive.

The wife just likes it the most and the inside is quite nice. I didn't get to really test it to extremes, but it's surprisingly agile and responsive. The shifting and ride was very smooth, even for my wife in the back row. Ultimately, she makes the choice, I just pay for it. ;) 

There was also a nice BMW 2018 convertible relatively cheap in the lot. Was almost tempting to go for a twofer...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lawnmower2021 said:

Thank you everyone for your input! Hopefully for the best, we put a deposit on a Pacifica Touring L with V6 and AWD drive.

The wife just likes it the most and the inside is quite nice. I didn't get to really test it to extremes, but it's surprisingly agile and responsive. The shifting and ride was very smooth, even for my wife in the back row. Ultimately, she makes the choice, I just pay for it. ;) 

There was also a nice BMW 2018 convertible relatively cheap in the lot. Was almost tempting to go for a twofer...

One of the nicest things on the Chrysler Pacifica is the Stow & Go seating.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Krdshrk said:

One of the nicest things on the Chrysler Pacifica is the Stow & Go seating.

Can't beat the versatility. Not many vehicles can carry 7 people or a stack of plywood or sheetrock. As a younger family we had 2 Town&Country minivans, wife loved them. I had my big rigs but didn't mind the comfort and usefulness of them. No problems either other than a few recalls.

16 minutes ago, siderman said:

Can't beat the versatility. Not many vehicles can carry 7 people or a stack of plywood or sheetrock. As a younger family we had 2 Town&Country minivans, wife loved them. I had my big rigs but didn't mind the comfort and usefulness of them. No problems either other than a few recalls.

My family had a couple of Town & Country minivans too.  My parents got the extended warranty on one and it paid off... Transmissions were an issue... also body rust.  Engine-wise it was solid.  I sold mine off to another forum member who is working on dealing with the rust and other various items but is still using it occasionally.  Wouldn't work for me as a daily driver anymore.

Fun fact: as I understand it, the Stow n Go patent expires in a year or two. So assuming other OEMs don’t fill that volume with battery packs we might have more options coming

i wouldn’t want a town and country myself but it’s awesome to borrow my parents’ for a trip to the hardware store

regarding @Mr.Stu comment, maybe theyve changed things - between my parents and a few rentals I’ve had the brakes were terribly overboosted but they stop you in a neck-snapping hurry. But maybe they’re inadequate for a full load, idk

10 hours ago, Shocker said:

regarding @Mr.Stu comment, maybe theyve changed things - between my parents and a few rentals I’ve had the brakes were terribly overboosted but they stop you in a neck-snapping hurry. But maybe they’re inadequate for a full load, idk

They stop the car fine - for the first 15k miles, then you need new ones. 

On 6/30/2023 at 2:31 PM, gleninjersey said:

Learned long ago you have just so many horsepower hours in an engine. Back in the 60s, a Judson supercharger in a VW beetle or Karman Ghia gave you tremendous performance. But short engine life.

That's why I bought a Honda Odessey.  BignV6, loafs along, mileage in the mid 20s average,  highway 30 plus.

On 7/2/2023 at 8:20 AM, Shocker said:

Fun fact: as I understand it, the Stow n Go patent expires in a year or two. So assuming other OEMs don’t fill that volume with battery packs we might have more options coming

i wouldn’t want a town and country myself but it’s awesome to borrow my parents’ for a trip to the hardware store

my 98 actually had fantastic brakes. one of the fleets i work on has a 12 and a 14........the 14 has had a new tranny and a new engine within the last 2 years....the driver ran the engine dry..........but brakes fine.

the problem i've found on a lot of chrysler product brakes is the way that the pad ride on the slides. when you get some moron that does the brake job and doesn't believe in lubrication......the pads tend to wear a groove into the slide. this causes the pads to cock and then jam themselves in place which causes premature wear. back in the day when there were tons more of those on the road, we used to break out the mig welder, fill in those grooves, grind them flush then finish the brake job properly. with lube.

17 minutes ago, 1LtCAP said:

the problem i've found on a lot of chrysler product brakes is the way that the pad ride on the slides. when you get some moron that does the brake job and doesn't believe in lubrication

Sounds like I need to head your way.  My Grand Cherokee needs brakes.