rockchef1

NJSP REQUALIFICATION

What have they asked you for? My guess is nothing, same as Washington barracks hasn't asked me.

There is nothing in the statute that says you have to present proof of doing the updated qual and training to anyone, just that your permit won't be valid unless you complete them.

• Like 1

The law requires that you complete both the new qualifier and the new use of force training before Oct. 1.  I am not sure what  you're supposed to do with it once you complete them.    NJSP has the forms online here: https://www.nj.gov/njsp/firearms/forms.shtml

1 hour ago, maintenanceguy said:

The law requires that you complete both the new qualifier and the new use of force training before Oct. 1.  I am not sure what  you're supposed to do with it once you complete them.    NJSP has the forms online here: https://www.nj.gov/njsp/firearms/forms.shtml

i thought that was "unless the course you took was substantially similar"?

1 hour ago, glockncolts said:

I am an instructor and have decided to just sign off on myself.... Fuck em

I get that Nappan says the sky is falling in this issue, but it's a piece of paper that's required to meet an administrative need. 

If you're an instructor and you sign it and submit it to your PD I can't imagine why that wouldn't be sufficient.

1 hour ago, xXxplosive said:

I was told by our...."it's frowned upon".

Indeed.

At the end of the day someone signing the document is taking accountability for it (even it it's for themself), so if they're a recognized Instructor who is approved to do the sign-off, I don't think it should be a show-stopper.

Well with the statement posted today by the NJSP regarding testing requirements....guess it negates all the BS coming from the gun ranges and their qual. testing.....smoke and mirrors, right Anthony..........yup, keep requalifying....eventually you'll get to like it.  :facepalm:  .$$$$...omo.

09/12/2023:
At this time the New Jersey State Police - Firearms Investigation Unit has yet to receive formal guidelines from the New Jersey Office of the Attorney General (NJ OAG) pertaining to the Legislative Mandated Permit to Carry Training requirements. Once the training guidelines are available the New Jersey State Police - Firearms Investigation Unit, they will immediately make them available to the public on this webpage.
Any inquiry (via. email or other means) pertaining to the Permit to Carry Training will not be responded to.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, xXxplosive said:

09/12/2023:
At this time the New Jersey State Police - Firearms Investigation Unit has yet to receive formal guidelines from the New Jersey Office of the Attorney General (NJ OAG) pertaining to the Legislative Mandated Permit to Carry Training requirements. Once the training guidelines are available the New Jersey State Police - Firearms Investigation Unit, they will immediately make them available to the public on this webpage.
Any inquiry (via. email or other means) pertaining to the Permit to Carry Training will not be responded to.

Right! Our AG is too busy suing anyone who doesn't want the state to groom their children in a government school to deal with administrative crap!

3 hours ago, xXxplosive said:

Well with the statement posted today by the NJSP regarding testing requirements....guess it negates all the BS coming from the gun ranges and their qual. testing.....smoke and mirrors, right Anthony..........yup, keep requalifying....eventually you'll get to like it.  :facepalm:  .$$$$...omo.

09/12/2023:

Not sure this represents a change.

The latest 'form' that we've been talking about was posted in July and it's titled "Use of Force Interim Training For Private Citizen Concealed Carry", so it seems the 'interim' process is just lasting longer?

file:///C:/Users/Home%20Laptop/Downloads/PTC_Use_of_Force_and_Qualification_20230721-1.pdf

I guess the NJSP is saying there will be no updates to the 'interim' process until there's additional guidance.

On 9/11/2023 at 10:10 PM, 1LtCAP said:

i thought that was "unless the course you took was substantially similar"?

I have a recent email from the range where I qualified (Shooters) stipulating on behalf of my instructor, Dave Cope, and themselves, that my qualification complies with the current requirements and will remain vaild through the expiration of my permit in 2024. Since I also have USLS coverage, I will continue to carry without losing any sleep over this issue (or non-issue, if you prefer).

• Like 2

Doesn't the notification come from the Chief of your department...........not the range....when do they have any say reguarding the local gov't or state requirements....and wasn't it that range that advertised their similar requirements with no holster draw as well as GFH....correct me if I'm wrong....please explain.

11 minutes ago, xXxplosive said:

Doesn't the notification come from the Chief of your department...........not the range....when do they have any say reguarding the local gov't or state requirements....and wasn't it that range that advertised their similar requirements with no holster draw....correct me if I'm wrong....please explain.

I think the primary sticking point will be the need for the SP 182 form.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Grima Squeakersen said:

I have a recent email from the range where I qualified (Shooters) stipulating on behalf of my instructor, Dave Cope, and themselves, that my qualification complies with the current requirements and will remain vaild through the expiration of my permit in 2024. Since I also have USLS coverage, I will continue to carry without losing any sleep over this issue (or non-issue, if you prefer).

Was this a proactive email Shooters sent out, or in response to you contacting them? I did my qualification there also and have not heard anything from them. 

• Like 1

On 9/18/2023 at 6:44 PM, kc17 said:

Was this a proactive email Shooters sent out, or in response to you contacting them? I did my qualification there also and have not heard anything from them. 

Same question I have, I did mine at Shooters also, also Dave C. was is the Qual Officer. I did not get an e-mail (yet), so it would be great if GRIMA would let us know either way on the above question?

Appreciation in advance,

-Joe

From Shooters Facebook page, posted yesterday ...

UPDATE
PERMIT TO CARRY QUALIFICATIONS
We did not forget about you! We are still awaiting a few answers from the NJSP Firearms Investigation Unit & the AG’s office.
Rest assured IF AND ONLY IF we do need to requalify our customers we will be hosting the requalify courses free of charge to all of our customers with proof of initial qualifications at Shooters Sporting Center being required.
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, dajonga said:

From Shooters Facebook page, posted yesterday ...

UPDATE
PERMIT TO CARRY QUALIFICATIONS
We did not forget about you! We are still awaiting a few answers from the NJSP Firearms Investigation Unit & the AG’s office.
Rest assured IF AND ONLY IF we do need to requalify our customers we will be hosting the requalify courses free of charge to all of our customers with proof of initial qualifications at Shooters Sporting Center being required.

Thank you. I would be great if you could post final outcome here as well. I do not have a "book of feces" account anymore.