rockchef1

NJSP REQUALIFICATION

For what it's worth, my unrestricted Concealed Carry Permit is now 'complete'.

- Applied for initial permit July 2022
- Permit received early january with court order attached (Morris County) listing guns I was limited to
- July 2023 I attempted to add guns to permit by contacting court, but they refused and referred me to local PD.  Local PD advised that I would need to apply for new permit or wait until I renew.
- Early September 2023 I submitted a new application and did a re-qual
- Late September did re-qual (Shooters) to get the latest form 182 and handed in to PD
- Early October unrestricted permit received (and printed/laminated)

I didn't keep track of time/money sunk, but I tried to shop around as best as possible for pricing on quals, fingerprints, etc, so I didn't spend as much as some folks, but still more than I wanted.

Hopefully when I renew in two years the $200 fee will be GREATLY reduced as well as some of the administrative nonsense.

On 9/30/2023 at 2:42 PM, 124gr9mm said:

About 10 at a time. 

VERY well done. It's almost like an assembly line.  You get a briefing in the classroom about the course of fire and how guns will be handled, then you go in and shoot. 

When you're done shooting there's already  another group sitting in the classroom behind you, briefed and waiting to go shoot.

One guy in my squad didn't pass, so this is not just an administrative exercise.  You have to demonstrate safe handling and hit 40 out of 50.

This is a fantastic response by Shooters. 

Hi, how many magazines are required for the re-qual? And is time given to reload the magazines (i.e., stuffing rounds in the magazines) between stages (the various distances)?

4 hours ago, Combat Auto said:

Is the "only" 5 rounds because we ae going to do a reload on each stage?

Yup. 

You have 5 rounds in each mag, so there's a reload at each distance. When you're done with your 10 you reload and wait for everyone else to be done. 

• Agree 1

On 10/8/2023 at 6:34 PM, 124gr9mm said:

Yup. 

You have 5 rounds in each mag, so there's a reload at each distance. When you're done with your 10 you reload and wait for everyone else to be done. 

Do they start the qual shooting at 15 yards or at 3 yards?

Also, since there is no time limit, is it OK to place my empty mag (after 5 rounds are shot) either in my pocket (or empty mag holder slot) rather then let it drop on the hard floor?

1 hour ago, Combat Auto said:

Do they start the qual shooting at 15 yards or at 3 yards?

Also, since there is no time limit, is it OK to place my empty mag (after 5 rounds are shot) either in my pocket (or empty mag holder slot) rather then let it drop on the hard floor?

From 3 yards to 15 yards.

I just put my empty magazine on the table in front of me.  IMO dropping to the floor or putting in a mag holder is not practical/necessary.

• Like 1

Do I understand correctly that EVERYONE who qualified before before 7/21/23 needs to requalify due to the capricious, arbitrary edict by the State of NJ?  I understand that the new qual is easier than the one they had proposed, but they can just change the rules like that in the middle of the game?

I believe that if your qualifications were the same as the “new/present” requirements you do not have to….but…..you probably have to take the “Use of Force” one hour live class.  But…who is monitoring this?  Has whoever signed your card calling you to inform you of the change?  How would someone who has no computer or sign onto this site know what’s going on until renewal time…which is how most licensing procedures work like Drivers license, medical license, club memberships.  But than again this is the state that essentially confiscated 15 round magazines without any compensation….didn’t even  offer to reimburse the sales tax we paid to the state!

Many of the older quals did not include draw from holster for each and every segment. That is why my private instructor said that the old qual will be invalid after Dec 31st and that he could not certify us on the SP-182 form. He was good about it and charged me only $50 but his point was not about making more money but putting his name on a form that we have certified to the new standard.

Point is that regardless of the date if you passed, a qual that did not require holster draw, you will have to re-qual. Some ranges/instructors may let you slide but once they sign SP-182 for you there could be some possible liability on both ends. .

I did my requalification this past Saturday. My original qualification was HCQ1 so my instructor said it was stupid to redo the whole 50 round qualification at closer distances. Instead, he spent over 3 hours having us concentrate on holster draw and magazine dumps and reloads, etc. He did spend lots of time on use of deadly force and only charged $25 for the course and I gave my paperwork to my local PD today.

• Like 1

Just renewed my FL resident CCW.   Walked in, answered 3 questions, paid $58 for 7 yrs and walked out 8 minutes later with a nice wallet sized lamented license. And he apologized for the wait because he had to reload the printer with more cards. Not to shabby.

2 hours ago, MartyZ said:

I have been out of the loop recently due to family issues. Looking at the CCW process now, am I to understand that fingerprints are no longer required? and even SP-066 is not required if you lived in NJ for the last 10 years?

You're correct.

The process is much simpler/more direct now that it's online...but it's still a pain in the ass.

On 10/16/2023 at 1:03 PM, siderman said:

Just renewed my FL resident CCW.   Walked in, answered 3 questions, paid $58 for 7 yrs and walked out 8 minutes later with a nice wallet sized lamented license. And he apologized for the wait because he had to reload the printer with more cards. Not to shabby.

Good point, not just that the process is simpler, but that you get a card that looks authentic and durable, unlike the cheap, cheesy CCW and FID papers that we get in NJ. 

On 10/4/2023 at 7:45 AM, 124gr9mm said:

For what it's worth, my unrestricted Concealed Carry Permit is now 'complete'.

- Applied for initial permit July 2022
- Permit received early january with court order attached (Morris County) listing guns I was limited to
- July 2023 I attempted to add guns to permit by contacting court, but they refused and referred me to local PD.  Local PD advised that I would need to apply for new permit or wait until I renew.
- Early September 2023 I submitted a new application and did a re-qual
- Late September did re-qual (Shooters) to get the latest form 182 and handed in to PD
- Early October unrestricted permit received (and printed/laminated)

I didn't keep track of time/money sunk, but I tried to shop around as best as possible for pricing on quals, fingerprints, etc, so I didn't spend as much as some folks, but still more than I wanted.

Hopefully when I renew in two years the $200 fee will be GREATLY reduced as well as some of the administrative nonsense.

Dream on. You live in the aNJus of the US...

On 10/15/2023 at 8:30 PM, ALAN553 said:

I believe that if your qualifications were the same as the “new/present” requirements you do not have to….but…..you probably have to take the “Use of Force” one hour live class.  But…who is monitoring this?  Has whoever signed your card calling you to inform you of the change?  How would someone who has no computer or sign onto this site know what’s going on until renewal time…which is how most licensing procedures work like Drivers license, medical license, club memberships.  But than again this is the state that essentially confiscated 15 round magazines without any compensation….didn’t even  offer to reimburse the sales tax we paid to the state!

As I noted earlier in this thread, I had proactively contacted Shooters by email in mid-September asking about the new NJ requirements, and received assurance that my previous qualification would remain valid for the duration of my permit. I have received no follow-up message informing me of any change to that answer. I think that more than sufficiently answers any questions about pro-active notification. I'm not specifically picking on Shooters, either. A couple of weeks after I contacted Shooters, I received a similar (but unsolicited) email assurance from Range 129. I did not qualify there, but I'm on their list because I occasionally shoot there. I have received no follow-up from Range 129, either. Frankly, while I understand what a difficult and labor-intensive process this must be for those ranges, I would think that they would very much want to follow-up with corrections to assurances that turn out to be misguided (even if solely becouse of the stupidity and caprociousness of NJ state government) in the interests of limiting their own liability.

1 hour ago, Grima Squeakersen said:

As I noted earlier in this thread, I had proactively contacted Shooters by email in mid-September asking about the new NJ requirements, and received assurance that my previous qualification would remain valid for the duration of my permit.

Unfortunately things have changed since then.

In order to be in compliance with the law you'll need to requalify and submit the latest form SP182 to your local PD.

Since you did your initial qualification with Shooters they'll do the the re-qual for free.

On 10/12/2023 at 9:38 AM, 124gr9mm said:

From 3 yards to 15 yards.

I just put my empty magazine on the table in front of me.  IMO dropping to the floor or putting in a mag holder is not practical/necessary.

Did my re-qual yesterday, perfect score, lol, not much a an accomplishment, easiest thing I ever shot, big fat target, all the time you want. They went by the book and according to the AG's rules...Really a total waste of time to have to do it again, the shoot I did there last year was much more challenging, timed fast and furious. But is good and thanks to Dan and ANJRPC we have a qual that we can pass well into our 80's lol.

Yep, shooters was great, nice people, turn-key process, no attitude. And they did a great by given the re-qual free as they did mention it was on "them" that we got hit for no holster draws last year. So it was waste of 50 Rounds, an hour and a half including travel, and some gas money, NJ should have just let the holster part go till next renewal.

• Like 1

On 10/18/2023 at 9:51 PM, JohnnyB said:

I won't complain about the card....I'm just happy I have a CCW card in NJ!  I never thought I would live to see it!

Me either. However, imo we need to make damned sure we don't lull ourselves into being so complacent with the current state of affairs that we stop fighting for full compliance with the literal meaning of the 2nd A.

• Like 1

On 10/25/2023 at 1:24 PM, 124gr9mm said:

Unfortunately things have changed since then.

In order to be in compliance with the law you'll need to requalify and submit the latest form SP182 to your local PD.

Since you did your initial qualification with Shooters they'll do the the re-qual for free.

I just sent an email to Tom Gormley of Shooters requesting an update. Old Glock Guy's cite of the date 7/21 has me even more confused. I qualified early in August. My qualification did include use of force, but not holster draw. What (if anything) is magic about 7/21?