I have 2 questions on the current state of CCW in NJ before I apply.

1. What target is used for the live fire test/qual? 

2. Are you still only allowed to carry the gun you test/qual with or are you allowed to carry whatever you want?

Edit: I just saw there is a dedicated forum for CCW. Mods please move to appropriate forum.

1 hour ago, diamondd817 said:

I have 2 questions on the current state of CCW in NJ before I apply.

1. What target is used for the live fire test/qual? 

2. Are you still only allowed to carry the gun you test/qual with or are you allowed to carry whatever you want?

Edit: I just saw there is a dedicated forum for CCW. Mods please move to appropriate forum.

!. FBI Q target

2. Any gun you legally own can be carried.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, diamondd817 said:

Actually, let's leave it here - you're fine! That other section is not for law-related issues - it's more about gear (holsters, clothing, etc.). 

On 12/21/2023 at 4:48 AM, diamondd817 said:

And the live fire is 15yd, 10yd, 7yd, 5yd, 3yd x 5rds each, twice, correct?

Yes,  

All shots fired strong hand, each 5 rd volley is holster draw.

Anyone or an instructor that says different, Ignore them and in the case of an instructor.  FIND SOMEONE ELSE!

13 hours ago, kirk2022 said:

Yes,  

All shots fired strong hand, each 5 rd volley is holster draw.

Anyone or an instructor that says different, Ignore them and in the case of an instructor.  FIND SOMEONE ELSE!

Shooters did not have us draw a live weapon

8 hours ago, xXxplosive said:

Is there any restriction on carrying a firearm in NJ during a declaired state of emergency..........

If there isn't, there will be. Declare a SOE= Constitution goes out the window. The tyrants(not just NJ) did a practice run with covid and got away with some shady declarations.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

29 minutes ago, diamondd817 said:

Sooooo, hypothetically, one could use a 22lr pistol for the live fire portion?

Yes. The instructors I've show with will not allow .22 for the qualification and I think they're wrong.  If grandma can safely handle a .22 but struggles to rack the slide on a 9mm, let her exercise her constitutional rights too.

• Agree 3

2 hours ago, diamondd817 said:

Sooooo, hypothetically, one could use a 22lr pistol for the live fire portion?

Yes. I had someone qualify with a Ruger SR-22 a couple of weeks ago. His holster for his carry gun hadn't arrived in time. 

The gun was purple, not that it makes any difference. 

• Agree 1

15 hours ago, Mr.Stu said:

Yes. I had someone qualify with a Ruger SR-22 a couple of weeks ago. His holster for his carry gun hadn't arrived in time. 

The gun was purple, not that it makes any difference. 

"Assault" purple?

19 hours ago, ESB said:

Actually this also covers them preventing us from carrying too. 

Text of H.R. 5013 (109th): Disaster Recovery Personal Protection Act of 2006 (Referred to Senate Committee version) - GovTrack.us

SEC. 706. FIREARMS POLICIES.

(a) Prohibition on Confiscation of Firearms- No officer or employee of the United States (including any member of the uniformed services), or person operating pursuant to or under color of Federal law, or receiving Federal funds, or under control of any Federal official, or providing services to such an officer, employee, or other person, while acting in support of relief from a major disaster or emergency, may--

• `(1) temporarily or permanently seize, or authorize seizure of, any firearm the possession of which is not prohibited under Federal, State, or local law, other than for forfeiture in compliance with Federal law or as evidence in a criminal investigation;

`(2) require registration of any firearm for which registration is not required by Federal, State, or local law;

`(3) prohibit possession of any firearm, or promulgate any rule, regulation, or order prohibiting possession of any firearm, in any place or by any person where such possession is not otherwise prohibited by Federal, State, or local law; or

`(4) prohibit the carrying of firearms by any person otherwise authorized to carry firearms under Federal, State, or local law, solely because such person is operating under the direction, control, or supervision of a Federal agency in support of relief from the major disaster or emergency.

Looks like they are not protected and you can sue them if they violate your rights: 

`(c) Private Rights of Action-

• `(1) IN GENERAL- Any individual aggrieved by a violation of this section may seek relief in an action at law, suit in equity, or other proper proceeding for redress against any person who subjects such individual, or causes such individual to be subjected, to the deprivation of any of the rights, privileges, or immunities secured by this section.

`(2) REMEDIES- In addition to any existing remedy in law or equity, under any law, an individual aggrieved by the seizure or confiscation of a firearm in violation of this section may bring an action for return of such firearm in the United States district court in the district in which that individual resides or in which such firearm may be found.

`(3) ATTORNEY FEES- In any action or proceeding to enforce this section, the court shall award

the prevailing party, other than the United States, a reasonable attorney's fee as part of the costs.'.

Search for 706 in the below link.  This bill was passed into law.  The one linked above was not passed into law, but added to this one:  

Text of H.R. 5441 (109th): Department of Homeland Security Appropriations Act, 2007 (Passed Congress version) - GovTrack.us

• Confused 1

14 minutes ago, ESB said:

Actually this also covers them preventing us from carrying too. 

Text of H.R. 5013 (109th): Disaster Recovery Personal Protection Act of 2006 (Referred to Senate Committee version) - GovTrack.us

SEC. 706. FIREARMS POLICIES.

(a) Prohibition on Confiscation of Firearms- No officer or employee of the United States (including any member of the uniformed services), or person operating pursuant to or under color of Federal law, or receiving Federal funds, or under control of any Federal official, or providing services to such an officer, employee, or other person, while acting in support of relief from a major disaster or emergency, may--

• `(1) temporarily or permanently seize, or authorize seizure of, any firearm the possession of which is not prohibited under Federal, State, or local law, other than for forfeiture in compliance with Federal law or as evidence in a criminal investigation;

`(2) require registration of any firearm for which registration is not required by Federal, State, or local law;

`(3) prohibit possession of any firearm, or promulgate any rule, regulation, or order prohibiting possession of any firearm, in any place or by any person where such possession is not otherwise prohibited by Federal, State, or local law; or

`(4) prohibit the carrying of firearms by any person otherwise authorized to carry firearms under Federal, State, or local law, solely because such person is operating under the direction, control, or supervision of a Federal agency in support of relief from the major disaster or emergency.

Looks like they are not protected and you can sue them if they violate your rights: 

`(c) Private Rights of Action-

• `(1) IN GENERAL- Any individual aggrieved by a violation of this section may seek relief in an action at law, suit in equity, or other proper proceeding for redress against any person who subjects such individual, or causes such individual to be subjected, to the deprivation of any of the rights, privileges, or immunities secured by this section.

`(2) REMEDIES- In addition to any existing remedy in law or equity, under any law, an individual aggrieved by the seizure or confiscation of a firearm in violation of this section may bring an action for return of such firearm in the United States district court in the district in which that individual resides or in which such firearm may be found.

`(3) ATTORNEY FEES- In any action or proceeding to enforce this section, the court shall award

the prevailing party, other than the United States, a reasonable attorney's fee as part of the costs.'.

If the judge "feels" the state had the right to confiscate your firearms they will just deny the claim. These liberal progressives think feelings are more important than rights.

If you have the cash and the patience you can appeal the case to higher courts where you may win but you better hope the judge agrees with your attorney fees. 

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, ESB said:

How many times do they get to get arrested and convicted of CDS crimes, put into rehab,  let out early only to re-offend?  We will be paying for this forever unless the penalties are stiffer.  Another big waste of money.

On 1/17/2024 at 10:51 AM, brucin said:

If the judge "feels" the state had the right to confiscate your firearms they will just deny the claim. These liberal progressives think feelings are more important than rights.

If you have the cash and the patience you can appeal the case to higher courts where you may win but you better hope the judge agrees with your attorney fees. 

So, since for all practical purposes this appears to cover all unconstitutional firearms seizures, and since it appears to contain the fantastic incentive of making the ass-clowns involved in the seizure personally liable for damages, the crucial question is why our "advocacy" organizations were not running with this, even long before Bruen?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Grima Squeakersen said:

So, since for all practical purposes this appears to cover all unconstitutional firearms seizures, and since it appears to contain the fantastic incentive of making the ass-clowns involved in the seizure personally liable for damages, the crucial question is why our "advocacy" organizations were not running with this, even long before Bruen?

I don't have the time to find the citation at the moment but the attorneys who litigated the Bruen decision we're entitled to have NY state pay their fees because the state lost in court.

They submitted their fees and a judge ruled that they we're too high and reduced the award considerably.

I'm not sure if they can appeal or not or if it's even worth the time and expense of an appeal.

Bottom line is you can win and still lose money because an activist judge doesn't like that you won.

1 hour ago, brucin said:

I don't have the time to find the citation at the moment but the attorneys who litigated the Bruen decision we're entitled to have NY state pay their fees because the state lost in court.

They submitted their fees and a judge ruled that they we're too high and reduced the award considerably.

I'm not sure if they can appeal or not or if it's even worth the time and expense of an appeal.

Bottom line is you can win and still lose money because an activist judge doesn't like that you won.

Are you saying that the attorneys who pursue cases for GOA, SAF, etc. are paid only by contingency, out of judgements? If that is the case, I'd like to see a detailed accounting of where all the donations go. Maybe LaPierre and the NRA aren't as unique in making donations vanish as I would like to think. If that is not the case, my question remains. If that law is as useful a tool to hold the gun grabbers personally responsible for their actions as it would appear to be, why aren't "we" using it?

1 hour ago, Grima Squeakersen said:

Are you saying that the attorneys who pursue cases for GOA, SAF, etc. are paid only by contingency, out of judgements? If that is the case, I'd like to see a detailed accounting of where all the donations go. Maybe LaPierre and the NRA aren't as unique in making donations vanish as I would like to think. If that is not the case, my question remains. If that law is as useful a tool to hold the gun grabbers personally responsible for their actions as it would appear to be, why aren't "we" using it?

No I imagine they charge a fee that is the bare minimum and then expect to collect a market average for their services from the losing party..

Here is a news story that says the attorneys only got 1/3 of what they were owed. The donations will most likely make up the other 2'3.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/judge-orders-new-york-dole-out-nearly-half-million-legal-fees-nra-supreme-court-victory