silverado427

Firearm discharged @Brick Costco

ugg.  i hope he is ok and recovers.  

costco has a no firearm policy, so this will be used against us going forward if he was just carrying and not doing any type of security work there. 

very interested to know how he gun went off....

1 hour ago, antimatter said:

ugg.  i hope he is ok and recovers.  

costco has a no firearm policy, so this will be used against us going forward if he was just carrying and not doing any type of security work there. 

very interested to know how he gun went off....

he'll use the alec baldwin defense.

i can't believe people think guns go off by themselves......

oh yea......they'll try to bury this. it won't go against us since the guy was a retired leo.........

• Agree 1

P320's don't go off by themselves. Especially after the factory fix. 

I don't remember seeing any sign outside Costco about No Carry. May be a company policy, but if it's not posted, it's not in effect.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, FDHog said:

I don't remember seeing any sign outside Costco about No Carry. May be a company policy, but if it's not posted, it's not in effect.

It is in their store policies on their web  site. You could argue the no signage thing as a defense, but it would be a roll of the dice, IMO. It would be particularly difficult to use as a defense if the prosecutor was able to pull up this thread. You can't deny knowing about it now.

I cancelled my membership and got a full refund because of their dumbass policy.

47 minutes ago, Mr.Stu said:

It is in their store policies on their web  site. You could argue the no signage thing as a defense, but it would be a roll of the dice, IMO. It would be particularly difficult to use as a defense if the prosecutor was able to pull up this thread. You can't deny knowing about it now.

I cancelled my membership and got a full refund because of their dumbass policy.

Thought it had to be posted in at least 1" lettering at the entrance to a store or business. As usual, some of the laws covering CCW in NJ are purposely vague. 

Suppose you never went on Costco's website. I go on their website to shop not to read their store policies. You would purposely have to look for it.

1 minute ago, FDHog said:

Thought it had to be posted in at least 1" lettering at the entrance to a store or business. As usual, some of the laws covering CCW in NJ are purposely vague.

There is nothing in the NJ statutes describing required signage. Other States do have such language.

In the oral arguments, Angela Cai did indicate that the NJAG's office regards a policy posted on a company's web site is sufficient.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mr.Stu said:

There is nothing in the NJ statutes describing required signage. Other States do have such language.

In the oral arguments, Angela Cai did indicate that the NJAG's office regards a policy posted on a company's web site is sufficient.

Not to start an argument, but where the hell is it on their website? I was just on there and couldn't find it. Granted I do need reading glasses, but where the hell is it? What am I supposed to do, check every website of every place I want to go? It's ridiculous.

4 minutes ago, FDHog said:

Not to start an argument, but where the hell is it on their website? I was just on there and couldn't find it. Granted I do need reading glasses, but where the hell is it?

https://www.costco.com/member-privileges-conditions.html

Look at the penultimate bullet point in the general policies near the bottom of the page.

The also have an explanation of their position including getting a refund of your membership here: https://customerservice.costco.com/app/answers/answer_view/a_id/709

6 minutes ago, FDHog said:

What am I supposed to do, check every website of every place I want to go? It's ridiculous.

You are surprised NJ has firearms policy that is ridiculous? :shok:

LOL. Found it after an exhausting search. Why in hell would you be looking there? You would think that if they were so against it, it would be in a very conspicuous place and also posted at the entrance.

Thinking about it, I think the RPO in question is on dodgy ground. Costco's policy says 

• Costco policy prohibits firearms and other weapons to be brought into the warehouse, except in the case of authorized law-enforcement officers.

RPO is not a law-enforcement officer any more.

Honestly......there is so much daily shoplifting at the other stores at the mall where COSTCO is in near me / Prominade Mall that it's risky ... all these thieves are in the parking lot with ya before they enter the stores......omo.

3 minutes ago, FairbanksRusty said:

Did the Governor release a statement on this? He was concerned about people carrying guns a year ago. 

Other than some physical pain and embarrassment, nothing will happen to this guy. 

Channel 12 mentioned the Prosecutor is deciding whether charges will be filed........

40 minutes ago, Mr.Stu said:
  • Costco policy prohibits firearms and other weapons to be brought into the warehouse, except in the case of authorized law-enforcement officers.

Guess I have to leave my pocketknife in the truck from now on.  :facepalm: 

7 hours ago, Mr.Stu said:

Thinking about it, I think the RPO in question is on dodgy ground. Costco's policy says 

If it's not posted at door it's not valid

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, Mr.Stu said:

I have an RPO buddy who claims that there is a LEOSA exemption at the Federal level that overrides state policy limiting his carry options in most cases. Not true, or not true in this particular case?

8 hours ago, FDHog said:

LOL. Found it after an exhausting search. Why in hell would you be looking there? You would think that if they were so against it, it would be in a very conspicuous place and also posted at the entrance.

Costco is likely trying to have it both ways. They don't piss off any 2A supporting customers with a sign on the door, but they cover their sorry asses legally in the event any shit like this goes down.

7 hours ago, xXxplosive said:

Honestly......there is so much daily shoplifting at the other stores at the mall where COSTCO is in near me / Prominade Mall that it's risky ... all these thieves are in the parking lot with ya before they enter the stores......omo.

Channel 12 mentioned the Prosecutor is deciding whether charges will be filed........

OTOH, when one of those thugs is leaving the mall, his or her arms are probably so full of purloined plunder that pulling a weapon might prove difficult.

14 hours ago, Grima Squeakersen said:

OTOH, when one of those thugs is leaving the mall, his or her arms are probably so full of purloined plunder that pulling a weapon might prove difficult.

been watching catwoman episodes of batman lately/? :D