CX500T

Moving to NJ, trying to make sense of the firearm laws

I'm moving to NJ, going to end up somewhere in Morris or Passaic County. 

Currently live in VA, and have a fair amount of firearms. 

10 round mag limit, that's easy to find online but even the NJSP website has 15 as the limit, so I'm not sure where the actual "definitive definition" is. 

Things I have that I think are OK:

M1 Garands

Bolt Action Milsurps (K31, M91/30, M44, M1903, M1917 etc) 

Shotguns (Mossberg 500, and a bunch of skeet/waterfowl SxS and O/U)

Things that seem to run afoul:

Yugo SKS (fixed mag, but grenade launcher/attached bayonet) 

M1 Carbine (that makes me scratch my head)

Things that can be somewhat reconfigured:

A bunch of AR-15s, is there some sort of special license needed? These are going to stay at my brothers' house here in VA until I make more sense of stuff. 

I can't have 2 of the following:

(1) A folding or telescoping stock; (2) A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon; (3) A bayonet mount; (4) A flash suppressor or threaded barrel designed to accommodate a flash suppressor; and (5) A grenade launcher;

So a fixed stock, bull 26" barrel AR with a 10 round mag is OK pistol grip is the one naughty feature. 

My A1 clone is not because pistol grip and non pinned/welded flash suppressor verboten. 

My M4Gery with the "collapsible stock" pinned to be non adjustable and the flash supressor pinned/welded onto a 14.5 barrel to make it over 16" is OK because it's pinned/welded?

AR Pistol- No  way, not gonna happen, just sell it to to a friend here in VA where it's legal?

Pistol wise:

Revolvers nothing crazy. 38/357s, 32-40, 22LR 

Pistols,

Sig Mosquito, Glock 43, Sig 226, Springfield Armory doublestack 1911 just don't have anything over a 10 round mag?

Ammo:

No hollowpoints? FMJ, Semi-Wadcutter, Wadcutter, LRN all "ok"

I'm finding conflicting info on NJ.GOV websites. Just trying to make sense of it. 

SKS is good to go as is. if it has not been modified to take a detachable magazine.

M1carbine banned by name no go no matter what.

Any semi auto with a detachable magazine must have a fixed stock and if the barrel is threaded a brake can be pinned and welded  No bayonet lug too many drive by bayonetting's in the inner cities. Grenade launcher must stay in VA.

All magazines must be 10 rounds

Hollow points only legal to possess in your home or at a range and can only be transported directly between the two. Leave one in your car and go anywhere else and you're committing a felony..

Handguns are treated the same way unless you have a NJ carry permit.

Evan Nappen's book New Jersey Gun Law will give you a more in depth description of our stupid laws.

Welcome to the gulag.

• Agree 2

13 minutes ago, CX500T said:

I'm moving to NJ, going to end up somewhere in Morris or Passaic County. Big Mistake

Currently live in VA, and have a fair amount of firearms. 

10 round mag limit, that's easy to find online but even the NJSP website has 15 as the limit, so I'm not sure where the actual "definitive definition" is. 10 rounds

Things I have that I think are OK:

M1 Garands Okay

Bolt Action Milsurps (K31, M91/30, M44, M1903, M1917 etc) Okay

Shotguns (Mossberg 500, and a bunch of skeet/waterfowl SxS and O/U) Okay

Things that seem to run afoul:

Yugo SKS (fixed mag, but grenade launcher/attached bayonet) Fixed mag, Bayo okay

M1 Carbine (that makes me scratch my head) ?

Things that can be somewhat reconfigured:

A bunch of AR-15s, is there some sort of special license needed?   No These are going to stay at my brothers' house here in VA until I make more sense of stuff. 

I can't have 2 of the following:

(1) A folding or telescoping stock; (2) A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon; (3) A bayonet mount; (4) A flash suppressor or threaded barrel designed to accommodate a flash suppressor; and (5) A grenade launcher; Right

So a fixed stock, bull 26" barrel AR with a 10 round mag is OK pistol grip is the one naughty feature. Okay

My A1 clone is not because pistol grip and non pinned/welded flash suppressor verboten. Right

My M4Gery with the "collapsible stock" pinned to be non adjustable and the flash supressor pinned/welded onto a 14.5 barrel to make it over 16" is OK because it's pinned/welded? No flash suppressor

AR Pistol- No  way, not gonna happen, just sell it to to a friend here in VA where it's legal? No, unless under 50 oz.

Pistol wise:

Revolvers nothing crazy. 38/357s, 32-40, 22LR Okay

Pistols,

Sig Mosquito, Glock 43, Sig 226, Springfield Armory doublestack 1911 just don't have anything over a 10 round mag?Right

Ammo:

No hollowpoints? FMJ, Semi-Wadcutter, Wadcutter, LRN all "ok" HP legal at home and range. Not allowed for carry.

I'm finding conflicting info on NJ.GOV websites. Just trying to make sense of it. 

16 minutes ago, CX500T said:

Non NFA AOW seems to be a way to be legal in NJ?

The ? I had posted with M1 Carbine is more of a "why that of all things banned"

Unfortunately if they're already rifles, they can't technically be turned into Non-NFA Other Firearms.  You're better off selling or making compliant.

M1 Carbine is banned by name due to the Plainfield Riots.... It doesn't make sense.  It's an infringement plain and simple.  Unfortunately there's no way to bring one in legally.  I would sell that one off (or find a place out of state to store it long term).

• Informative 1

Posted (edited)

The one I have in a what we call a pistol config here was never built as a rifle.  The 4473 transfered the lower as "other firearm" (lower, receiver, etc)

All of my ARs were transferred as "other firearm" and built from stripped lowers. 

Edited by CX500T
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, CX500T said:

The one I have in a what we call a pistol config here was never built as a rifle.  The 4473 transfered the lower as "other firearm" (lower, receiver, etc)

All of my ARs were transferred as "other firearm" and built from stripped lowers. 

Then you should be fine if you convert them to non-nfa "other" firearms.  Swap out the stocks for braces, make sure there's a VFG on them, and the OAL is greater than 26"

nqumxm5dope31.png

• Agree 1

36 minutes ago, Jon K said:

Sorry, but your making a mistake moving to a state run by the home owners association, like here in New Jersey.

Little tyrants, that should never have any power, but do....

Well, the options were NY, NJ or western CT. 

NJ was the best of the 3. I have to live within a 90 minute drive of JFK Airport. 

Shockingly it's actually lower taxes than VA. 

43 minutes ago, CX500T said:

Well, the options were NY, NJ or western CT. 

NJ was the best of the 3. I have to live within a 90 minute drive of JFK Airport. 

Shockingly it's actually lower taxes than VA. 

OK, but in all seriousness, consider another job then. Every one of those states you mentioned are completely lost to lunatics, that have zero regard for you or your families safety. They are all buried in the debt of state retirements and give away somebody else's money programs that are not sustainable. How it ends is anybodies guess, but one thing for sure, its already not pretty and going to get a lot worse. Is that where you want to live?

1 hour ago, CX500T said:

I have to live within a 90 minute drive of JFK Airport.

Is there anywhere that is within 90 minutes of JFK? If ever there was a <expletive of your choice> awful place to get to, it is JFK.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, CX500T said:

I have to live within a 90 minute drive of JFK Airport. 

Fly your own plane. Seriously. It's my understanding a lot of pilots that live up in Sussex County NJ do/did just that.

I'm not being sarcastic. @Mr.Stu is right. You move somewhere you think will be within a 90 minute drive, and indeed may be on some days. Then on other days nature, construction, protesters, flight delays etc. intervene and it turns into three hours without breaking a sweat.

I realize just 'flying your own plane' is a high bar. But it appears so is your career choice coupled with location.

Good luck whatever you decide.

• Agree 1
  • Haha 1

I'm in a seniority based job (Airline)

We don't have a pilot base in a location my seniority will support that is gun friendly that my wife is OK with moving to. 

Years ago we made a deal that when I retired from the Navy she'd get a say in where we move after years of fun things like her being the only Jewish lady under 100 years old in the place the Navy sent me. When I was in the reserves we lived near my reserve squadron and I commuted to work. 3-4 days extra a month gone. 

She's from NY. Family all over NY/NJ. 

The NJ thing is decided. Our VA house is already sold. 

I'm just trying to make the best of the gun laws and not run afoul of some law I didnt know existed. 

18 minutes ago, 45Doll said:

Fly your own plane. Seriously. It's my understanding a lot of pilots that live up in Sussex County NJ do/did just that.

I'm not being sarcastic. @Mr.Stu is right. You move somewhere you think will be within a 90 minute drive, and indeed may be on some days. Then on other days nature, construction, protesters, flight delays etc. intervene and it turns into three hours without breaking a sweat.

I realize just 'flying your own plane' is a high bar. But it appears so is your career choice coupled with location.

Good luck whatever you decide.

Flying own plane isn't an option. First. Can't park it at jfk. Second any place I could park it is now another half hour at least.  Third, by the time you preflight,  file flight plan and get started you are already 30 minute's once you got to the airport. 

I've been in this industry a long time. Commuting into JFK is a once in a blue moon and expensive. Heck I only dropped a friend off there once and it was well over $500 between port authority and FBO fees. 

Our 90 minutes is based on no traffic. That's for "short call" legality. If they call mid rush hour diring a snow storm, I get there when I safely can. 

11 minutes ago, CX500T said:

Flying own plane isn't an option.

OK, sounds like you are well aware of what you're getting into. So good luck with your search, and your career.

On 3/13/2024 at 9:25 AM, CX500T said:

I'm in a seniority based job (Airline)

We don't have a pilot base in a location my seniority will support that is gun friendly that my wife is OK with moving to. 

Years ago we made a deal that when I retired from the Navy she'd get a say in where we move after years of fun things like her being the only Jewish lady under 100 years old in the place the Navy sent me. When I was in the reserves we lived near my reserve squadron and I commuted to work. 3-4 days extra a month gone. 

She's from NY. Family all over NY/NJ. 

The NJ thing is decided. Our VA house is already sold. 

I'm just trying to make the best of the gun laws and not run afoul of some law I didnt know existed. 

I guess getting a crash pad near JFK and making the commute home on your weekend where it's more gun friendly area(PA)isn't going to cut it for you and your wife? I take it you must be on reserve at your airline given the time commute restriction?

On 3/12/2024 at 9:00 PM, CX500T said:

M1 Carbine (that makes me scratch my head)

My M4Gery with the "collapsible stock" pinned to be non adjustable and the flash supressor pinned/welded onto a 14.5 barrel to make it over 16" is OK because it's pinned/welded?

The M1 Carbine ban is because NJ's government is made up of idiots, much like the people who vote them in - which explains the conflicting info.

The way I've heard it (from multiple sources) is that many years ago a State National Guard armory was broken into and a large number of MI Carbines were stolen - so rather than track them all down the state just made them illegal to own - even though it make no sense at all

Flash suppressors are an issue, you'd best double check that.

• Agree 1

54 minutes ago, Sudsy said:

The M1 Carbine ban is because NJ's government is made up of idiots, much like the people who vote them in - which explains the conflicting info.

The way I've heard it (from multiple sources) is that many years ago a State National Guard armory was broken into and a large number of MI Carbines were stolen - so rather than track them all down the state just made them illegal to own - even though it make no sense at all

In 1967 during the Newark and Plainfield riots, the Plainfield Machine Company, who manufactured M1 carbines, was broken into and 46 full auto M1 carbines were stolen. Despite a huge effort by police and other agencies, none were ever recovered!  Due to that theft, we can't have even the semi auto M1 carbines!

2 hours ago, planenut said:

I guess getting a crash pad near JFK and making the commute home on your weekend where it's more gun friendly area(PA)isn't going to cut it for you and your wife? I take it you must be on reserve at your airline given the time commute restriction?

I have a pad near JFK getting sick of Uncommutable trips, which with the service being cut down to 3-5 flights a day from Norfolk. I've been driving from Virginia. 378 miles one way from my house to employee lot. 

To be frank, I'm getting too old for that.  

I gave my wife the geographic range of "can sit short call reserve on the couch" and frankly everything we found in reasonably close PA,  even using Newark as my anchor  point (I can use EWR, JFK or LGA) was absolute shit and horrible schools.  When I was pushing two hours to EWR the housing got reasonable and better schools, but 2 hours no traffic to EWR is pushing 4 in realistic non rush hour but not 2am to JFK. 

Wife's best friends husband works for United, they are living with us while their house gets built in Kinnelon, they have a more stringent reserve distance but they only have to cover Newark. I cover Newark,  JFK and LaGarbage but 95% of my flying (757/767) is out of JFK. 

I bid reserve by choice most months.  I prefer days off to go to dirtbike races over where I go on trips. 

1 hour ago, JohnnyB said:

In 1967 during the Newark and Plainfield riots, the Plainfield Machine Company, who manufactured M1 carbines, was broken into and 46 full auto M1 carbines were stolen. Despite a huge effort by police and other agencies, none were ever recovered!  Due to that theft, we can't have even the semi auto M1 carbines!

I was close, always questioned the breaking into the armory part - even though that's the story that seems to be out there. THis makes much more sense.

46 carbines. Idiots making the rules in this state

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Sudsy said:

46 carbines. Idiots making the rules in this state

The M1 karbean became an iconic symbol to the Black Panthers.  It was basically their AK-47 and Che tee shirt.  I think we can take the M1 carbine off the Democrats politically banned weapons list since BLM-NFAC-Antifa all have M4s now.

1 hour ago, CX500T said:

I have a pad near JFK getting sick of Uncommutable trips, which with the service being cut down to 3-5 flights a day from Norfolk. I've been driving from Virginia. 378 miles one way from my house to employee lot. 

I gave my wife the geographic range of "can sit short call reserve on the couch" and frankly everything we found in reasonably close PA,  even using Newark as my anchor  point (I can use EWR, JFK or LGA) was absolute shit and horrible schools.  When I was pushing two hours to EWR the housing got reasonable and better schools, but 2 hours no traffic to EWR is pushing 4 in realistic non rush hour but not 2am to JFK. 

Wife's best friends husband works for United, they are living with us while their house gets built in Kinnelon, they have a more stringent reserve distance but they only have to cover Newark. I cover Newark,  JFK and LaGarbage but 95% of my flying (757/767) is out of JFK. 

I bid reserve by choice most months.  I prefer days off to go to dirtbike races over where I go on trips. 

Yeah I've got 25 years at one of your competitors in Newark (A/C MX) and non-revenue options have actually gotten worse, not better. Do you see your current station as something permanent or can you get to another hub in a cheaper state in a few years? If so maybe consider "transferring ownership" of the problematic guns to someone in VA until you can make it out of here.

19 minutes ago, planenut said:

Yeah I've got 25 years at one of your competitors in Newark (A/C MX) and non-revenue options have actually gotten worse, not better. Do you see your current station as something permanent or can you get to another hub in a cheaper state in a few years? If so maybe consider "transferring ownership" of the problematic guns to someone in VA until you can make it out of here.

Older when hired, so the only bases I can hold a 767 in are NYC and LAX. 

The Atlanta based competitor I work for's biggest minus is our pilot bases suck.  

If we had a Texas or Florida base I'd have gone there.  Atlanta is pretty much a no go for my wife.  She had a very bad experience when we were stationed in the bible belt from everyone freaking out over her being Jewish and either trying to convert her or shun her.  

It was a weird 3 year tour there.  She refuses to go back to GA or FL north of I-4. 

12 minutes ago, CX500T said:

Older when hired, so the only bases I can hold a 767 in are NYC and LAX. 

The Atlanta based competitor I work for's biggest minus is our pilot bases suck.  

If we had a Texas or Florida base I'd have gone there.  Atlanta is pretty much a no go for my wife.  She had a very bad experience when we were stationed in the bible belt from everyone freaking out over her being Jewish and either trying to convert her or shun her.  

It was a weird 3 year tour there.  She refuses to go back to GA or FL north of I-4. 

Yeah that's understandable. There's some things out there you can't put a price on and respecting someone's beliefs are up there.

3 hours ago, Scorpio64 said:

The M1 karbean became an iconic symbol to the Black Panthers.  It was basically their AK-47 and Che tee shirt.  I think we can take the M1 carbine off the Democrats politically banned weapons list since BLM-NFAC-Antifa all have M4s now.

This may have played into the decision.

Don Hogan Charles' original iconic photograph published in “Life” and ...

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, 45Doll said:

Not much 'gun safety' there. Or was he point-shooting at evil white oppressors living upstairs?

I believe that photo was taken after the NOI turned on him because he wasn't down with having sex with (raping) 13 year old girls, and shit.

On 3/14/2024 at 6:09 PM, CX500T said:

As much as I would like push Pennsylvania, driving across New Jersey to Newark or New York can be pretty bad, even on the interstates, especially I-78.