Bomber

Eclipse glasses?

Warby Parker (their brick and mortar stores) advertised that they would be giving them away.  I've no idea for how long.   Some local libraries are also handing them out.

We still had ours, along with a camera filter and cheap eclipse binoculars,  from the 2017 total eclipse.

We are in the path of totality here in Georgetown, but I think it’s gonna be a bust, cloudy out today. 

Metric assloads of people traveled down here to view it, and I think they will be disappointed. 

Took the wife and kid up to Lake Champlain (South Hero, VT) for a few days to see the eclipse from the totality zone. It is so nice and calm here. The weather is crisp (going to be 61 today, but we had snow flurries on Saturday) and clear. We booked our place last spring - so we got a cheap rate. Got our glasses when we booked our cottage.

Hope everyone enjoys it and stays safe!

28 minutes ago, High Exposure said:

Took the wife and kid up to Lake Champlain (South Hero, VT) for a few days to see the eclipse from the totality zone. It is so nice and calm here. The weather is crisp (going to be 61 today, but we had snow flurries on Saturday) and clear. We booked our place last spring - so we got a cheap rate. Got our glasses when we booked our cottage.

Enjoy it, and get some pics! It’s gonna be a bust here 

1 hour ago, Displaced Texan said:

We are in the path of totality here in Georgetown, but I think it’s gonna be a bust, cloudy out today. 

Metric assloads of people traveled down here to view it, and I think they will be disappointed. 

Oh I think this is gonna be worse than Y2K, and many of us remember what an apocalypse that was

This just in.  The eclipse will cross the US-Mexico border at around 13:33 CDST and make it's way up and across the country towards Canada.  At approximately 15:12 EDST it will enter New York state, where it will receive a prepaid debit card, an additional EBT card, free phone,  free legal representation, free health care, and free education.  Well, free to the eclipse at least.  You and I are the suckers paying for it.

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, High Exposure said:

I grew up up there.  It's definitely nice and calm... and nothing to do.

5 hours ago, Bklynracer said:

Great photo, here in Bergen county had cloud cover, got little darker, if I didn’t know there was an eclipse going on, would’ve thought  rain was coming, now still cloud cover, little brighter.

Yeah, kind of underwhelming, cloud coverage didn't help but there were some breaks.

Note to self for next eclipse: if not in the path of totality don't bother.  

Photo of the totality my wife took with her SLR:

ORafy8W.jpg

There was some bright pink/ruby light at about 7 o'clock that was really cool. You can see a hint of it in the photo.

Moment of totality looking West (From the VT side towards Plattsburgh NY) over Lake Champlain:XTvIN8A.mp4

If you zoom in, you can see Venus at 5 o’clock a little less than halfway between the eclipse and the mountains.

• Like 8

The peak here was supposed to be around 2:25. So sure enough, about 2:15 a cloud deck rolled in that obscured all but about one minute of it.

Never fails here for astronomical events. Every time.

38 minutes ago, 45Doll said:

Ha!! 

My buddy sent me the video, and I had the same reaction! 

He’s a former Navy Corpsman, so he has a more twisted sense of humor than I do. 

This is a late trip report, as I avoid posting trip plans to social media until after I'm home.

We planned to drive to upstate NY. The forecast wasn't great, but it looked like the best odds were to get as far east as we had time for, on the southern shore of Lake Ontario.  We ended up at the delightful town of Sodus Bay.   In town we enjoyed a brewed-just-for-the-occasion black lager called Totality, then set up at a primo spot right on the beach.   But, the overcast arrived well before the eclipse.  We saw nothing of the sun, though of course it got much darker for 3 1/2 minutes.

We hedged our bets by spending the day before in Ithaca; It had been 20 years since I had a chance to wander around my grad school alma mater, then the day after we had planned a trip to Niagara Falls--my wife had never been there.   

So the trip worked out ok, but if I were to post my best eclipse photo, it might be this, taken under blue skies the next day:

IMG_4381.jpeg.7d3abda770fe878551f0a40f05abff8c.jpeg

• Like 2