rauchman

Glocks...do you like / dislike...what would you change???

Greetings all,

As mentioned on another thread, I just picked up an M&P40, after selling off an XD9Tactical. The M&P is a very nice pistol, and I do believe a more stoutly constructed pistol over the XD. However, I've come to the conclusion that I like 9mm Glocks best of the midpriced plastic fantastic pistols available (Glock/M&P/XD). I can't believe I just said that, for there was a time when I truly detested Glocks. I was a 1911/Sig/HK guy only. Now, I put Glocks right up there any of the aforementioned pistols. I know this isn't the case for everybody, but it is the case for me.

Anyway, as much as I like Glocks, there are some things I've experienced and have read about that I'm hoping are addressed and fixed in the Gen 4 Glocks that are supposed to be coming out in 2010.

What would you want Glock to change on the pistol?

I understand it's going to come w/ interchangeable backstraps and I've read they are supposed to modify the frame to not flex as much, or at least the pistol shouldn't have a problem when shooting w/ a light/laser attached. I understand the .40 Glocks are notorious for jamming w/ a light/laser attached. I would love to see a thumb safety, but that's a pipe dream on a Glock. I know a lot of folks complain about the grip angle, but for myself, I've gotten used to it. I would also hope that they strengthen the wall between the firing pin/striker channel and the breach area where the firing pin/striker pokes into the breach. I had a catastrophic failure there when the breach area cracked outward after a bazillion dry fires w/out Snap Caps. To Glocks credit, they did replace the entire slide for free and I now use Snap Caps. I wish they would do away w/ the finger grooves on the fullsize models, as they don't fit me very well. Conversely, the finger grooves on the midsize models work perfectly for me. Also, I really hope they come out w/ a Tactical/Practical .45. Kind of like a G34/35 in .45.

Thoughts.............

upcoming Generation 4 Glock

It's been out for some time. Changes are minor, mostly the grip serrations. The back strap is an attempt to keep up with all the other manufacturers offering various grip sizes and angles.

Get rid of the finger grooves.

Make deeper serations to grip the slide better.

Rough up the grip more-so than they did on the RTF.

Do away with the trigger safety.

Or just by a CCF frame. :D

• Like 1

I have owned several Glocks. The large frame models are too big for me to feel like I have a good grip on. I have owned and sold a Glock 21SF (45ACP) and a 20SF (10mm). I should have learned my lesson. On the other hand, I own a Glock 34 in 9mm. To me, this is the frame size where the Glock shines. It points really well for me and is surprisingly accurate. I am a better shot with it than with my S&W Model 28 revolver. I would never have expected that. As for the grip angle, I liken it to the Ruger 22 pistols or even a Luger. It just takes a little getting used to.

By far the best polymer pistol there is. Interchangeable backstraps are ridiculous, the 1911 considered by most to be the best thing since creamed corn and guess what no backstrap changey thing. They are extremely accurate right out of the box and run dry without a hiccup. Watch you-tube and see the torture tests these idiots do to prove a point, it's amazing, these things are unstoppable. When I want a gun I want something that's going to work every time no questions.

The only thing I would change is the amount of 3rd gens I own, and I;m working on that with a G21SF on the horizon and then we go 10mm

Make deeper serrations to grip the slide better

That was the biggest complaint on my department's G23.

I doubt the trigger safety would ever be taken out. It would open up glock to much criticism. It might not be able to be imported without it but that's a guess.

The rest is personal preference. I don't mind the finger groves.

CCF might make a nice product but now you have a $800 plus glock.

By far the best polymer pistol there is.

100,000 XD owners disagree.

Good post Daniel. I don't like Glocks for the same reason alot of people don't, the grip and the grip angle doesn't work for me.

+1... My G19 was pretty accurate.. but it just didn't feel good holding it to me. compared to the XD, it was a no brainer.. I do however like my G26. The grip angle doesn't seem as bad on that. I guess because it's much shorter and I have a pinkie thing on it.

I do want to buy a glock in 10 mm though :-P Just cuz.

Glocks are weird to hold. But if you get used to the hold you are ok as it is a very accurate reliable gun.

I would put it up there with a revolver as far as 'goes bang when you need it' reliability.

But then again, so do my Kimbers, and my sigs, and my berettas, and my remingtons, and my bushmasters...so thats not saying much.

I love my little 27 as a carry gun...if you have a bear mitt for a hand then you need the extension mags, and you should do just fine...

My guess is more glock owners disagree to the XD owners disagreeance... :p

I love my G34, the only thing I would like to add to it (dare I say) is a external safety. I know it can't fire without pulling the trigger but I'm still uneasy about it regardless.

I own an XD, but I think I'm going to be purchasing a Glock once my permits come in. I like my XD just fine... I actually preferred how the Glock felt gripped, but shot better with the XD (when I was testing out guns). Seeing how I can only improve my marksmanship, I'm going to go with what was more comfortable this next time. I think I'm also going to get away from the snappiness of the .40, and go for the 9MM.

I love my G34, the only thing I would like to add to it (dare I say) is a external safety. I know it can't fire without pulling the trigger but I'm still uneasy about it regardless.

I'll get beat up for this But... an external safety on a Glock is like wearing 4 condoms. There are three other safeties. The beauty of a Glock is it is point and shoot.

OK I'm hiding under the table. I'm ready to take the shot! LOL

Not a beauty, but is safe, reliable and simple to operate - no external safety or decocker to fiddle with.

Boring perhaps, but this is for SD situation, so reliability is a must.

I have run 500+ rounds with one cleaning in between and still goes bang without fail on any commercial ammo (including HP).

I have a short barrel 19c, but have test shot long slides (barrels) and they are (feel) more accurate and comfortable to shoot. In general, I have found longer barreled (5"), full-sized pistols work better for me. YMMV based on size of your hands.

Native 5+ pound trigger is not ideal for accurate shooting and quick follow-up. If you are used to DA/SA pistols, then this needs some getting used to.

My mods: 3.5# trigger link, extended slide catch (easier to use), pinky-thingy, and a buttler-creek rubber grip for firm hold.

For sheer looks and reliability, Beretta 92FS SA/DA is still my favorite (would love to own one).

I almost always bring my Glock 34 to BA on Tuesdays. Any forum member that shows up on Tuesday is welcome to give it a try. You'll be drinking the Glock koolaid in no time. :character-koolaid: :character-koolaid: :character-koolaid:

BBK, you are right about the 40 in a small Glock. I got rid of my 19 because I thought it was a bit snappy. It's a light gun for 40. My favorites are the Glock 9mm pistols: 17, 19, 34, and even the 26.

+1 on both counts. Not to say the XD is a bad pistol, but I would think more Glocks are sold over XD's. I've bought 2 XD's, an M&P40 and a Glock 19 this year. I've sold both XD's and want a G26 and possibly even a 3rd G19.

My one gripe w/ the Glock, or any pistol of this nature, is the uneasy feeling I get leaving it loaded w/ a round in the chamber. I would feel much better if it had a 1911 type thumb safety. Cudos to the XD and M&P on availability for this feature.

I almost always bring my Glock 34 to BA on Tuesdays. Any forum member that shows up on Tuesday is welcome to give it a try. You'll be drinking the Glock koolaid in no time. :character-koolaid: :character-koolaid: :character-koolaid:

BBK, you are right about the 40 in a small Glock. I got rid of my 19 because I thought it was a bit snappy. It's a light gun for 40. My favorites are the Glock 9mm pistols: 17, 19, 34, and even the 26.

+1 on the 9mm Glocks being IMHO, Glocks best offerings. I've shot a G34 once a few years ago. I once read a review of the G34 that I thought was apt....it's like driving a Corvette w/ a 6 cylinder engine. I'd like to try once again to see if my impression changes. I have 2 G19's that I love and a G17 2nd gen w/ lightened trigger pull and night sights.....very accurate gun. I recently had the opportunity to shoot a G26 and was floored w/ it. That is my next pistol!!!

I picked up an M&P40 on Tues. I've been dry fire practicing a lot w/ it. It is a very nice pistol that my wife is taking a liking to as well. However, when I pick up one of the G19's or the G17, it feels right. I have to believe this is due to countless hours of dry fire practice and range time though. I've said it before and I'll say it again, I never thought I'd be categorizing the Glock's trigger as superior to anything, but it is a step above a stock M&P or XD trigger.

M&P def feels much better to me (even after shooting Caine's 19 yesterday, BUT the M&P trigger really sucks.

Glock is better.

I am gonna put a few hundred more thru mine and then think about a trigger job.

I would love to fire an M&P with the trigger job already done.

I would love to fire an M&P with the trigger job already done.

+1

I've been playing w/ the M&P40 quite a bit. I've put 100 rounds on it and probably another 500 or so dry fires now. It has smoothed up some and I can imagine what a good trigger job would feel like. It has lost a lot of the grittyness, but it is far from a smooth pull. I may also file down the bottom point of the trigger itself, as it rubs my finger raw. If I get another M&P, I'll order a site pusher for the M&P at some point and attempt my own trigger job from the instructions on Burwell's site.

Offer to all.....

IF anyone wants to try my M&P 9mm with the Dan Burwell trigger job..... you are more then welcome to try it.

I think Matt is going to try and get a BA shoot for either this Wed. or next Wed. night.....

.... and since I dont have to work on either Thur. I would come down....

THe block just feels uncomfortable in my hand, I compaired it to my xd-40 and was glad I went with the springfield. I dont like how the glock does not have the ambi mag release seeing I am a lefty. Plus the slide rail is plastic and I just am not a fan of them. I went with the springfield b/ of the dual mag release metal slide rail and the grip is wayyyyyyyyyyyy better.

I have an XD40 Tactical and a Gen 1 G17. I love them both, for totally different reasons. The XD just works for me. Every time I go to the range with it, I fall in love all over again. So many little things make it such a great gun to own and shoot. I do believe it's just as reliable as the Glock but only time will tell.

With the Glock, it's the simplicity that I enjoy about it. Load the clip full of 9's, fire away. Smooth, light, accurate. Bury in sand. Take out of sand. Load, fire, repeat. The thing just won't quit!

You can love both IMO. :)

Having said that if I could concealed carry in NJ I'd purchase the small XD40, and not a Glock. That's more personal preference as I'd trust my life to either brand.