shooter28

Not allowed to buy ammo in DE?

Last weekend I was driving home from MD and I decided to stop at Dicks Sporting Goods in DE right before I crossed into NJ. I went to the back to buy some ammo, showed my DL to prove I'm over 21 but the salesman behind the counter refused to sell me the ammo without a FID. He claims NJ passed a law about a month ago which requires a FID for out of state ammo purchases. I called BS but there was nothing I could do. I tried explaining that I could buy ammo online from out of state without a FID but he wasnt buying it. He was also being a compete a$$ about it on top of all of this.

Did any such law pass? Im on here all the time and feel I have a pretty good understanding of NJ law but this caught me by complete surprise.

Dicks Sporting Goods

That's exactly your problem. They're pro-hunting but anti-gun.

Next time just google some gun shops or go to Wal Mart or something.

Its not dicks. It was some dick at dicks.

I regularly buy ammo at dicks in PA.

Dicks Sporting Goods

I dont think it was the stores fault, but more of this guy being a dick. I have bought ammo from them before without a problem. I will be calling that store tonight and letting them know that one of their employees is an idiot.

Dicks Sporting Goods

I dont think it was the stores fault, but more of this guy being a dick. I have bought ammo from them before without a problem. I will be calling that store tonight and letting them know that one of their employees is an idiot.

eh, it could of been their local store policy, which they can do. The store has the right to refuse any sales.

IE, even in jersey, while by law you only need FID to buy handgun caliber rounds, Dicks requires you to show FID for any ammo.

Dicks Sporting Goods

Its not dicks. It was some dick at dicks.

I regularly buy ammo at dicks in PA.

:lol:

Over Thanksgiving I was visiting my sister in southern PA, and there's a Dick's right over the border in Delaware. No problem buying 9mm HydraShocks. But that was before the so-called "law" that this guy was talking about "passed."

Last weekend I was driving home from MD and I decided to stop at Dicks Sporting Goods in DE right before I crossed into NJ. I went to the back to buy some ammo, showed my DL to prove I'm over 21 but the salesman behind the counter refused to sell me the ammo without a FID. He claims NJ passed a law about a month ago which requires a FID for out of state ammo purchases. I called BS but there was nothing I could do. I tried explaining that I could buy ammo online from out of state without a FID but he wasnt buying it. He was also being a compete a$$ about it on top of all of this.

Did any such law pass? Im on here all the time and feel I have a pretty good understanding of NJ law but this caught me by complete surprise.

NJ has no authority to enforce it's laws on anyone or any business in Delaware or any other state. NJ could theoretically file suit against the store, but I doubt they could win the case, the store wouldn't be breaking any laws by selling ammo to anyone without a NJ FID.

eh, it could of been their local store policy, which they can do. The store has the right to refuse any sales.

IE, even in jersey, while by law you only need FID to buy handgun caliber rounds, Dicks requires you to show FID for any ammo.

I buy at Oxford Valley PA Dick's all the time. Last time there was a different person working the ammo counter who asked me for ID. I mentioned that nobody ever asked for ID before. She said they are supposed to check it because if I was from NJ she would need to see an FPID.

I buy at Oxford Valley PA Dick's all the time. Last time there was a different person working the ammo counter who asked me for ID. I mentioned that nobody ever asked for ID before. She said they are supposed to check it because if I was from NJ she would need to see an FPID.

Walmart in bensalem asked me for my fpid when they saw I was from nj wonder if something happened

Bought 12 gauge on sale some months back at the Lakewood Dicks, no ID needed, he just handed over the counter I paid at the front checkout.

Dicks policy is that ay center fire rifle or pistol caliber, as well as any slug or buckshot needs to get logged out with your identification. Any shot smaller than buck is good to go over the counter. Trust me I work there and do it 100x a week.

Well, they probably want to see if you have the FPID, not go through the process that NJ does with logging. For those with a FL CCW, show that and you wouldn't have an issue. I, personally have never been asked for anything and it is easy to tell I'm not from PA with my accent.

Its weird seeing one of my threads pop back up haha.

Yea, Ive bought ammo at Dicks in PA all the time and never had a problem. I usually dont even have to show an ID (I'm younh by the way). Ive boughten ammo at this very store in DE before as well. I guess this guy was just being stupid or thats store policy changed. NJ cant force DE to do anything. Either way, they lost my money.

I've bought ammo in the Dick's at Oxford Valley and the giant Walmart on Rt. 13 in Bristol. The young man working sporting goods was pretty cool knowledgeable. In between selling a kid's bike he showed me ammo and helped some other guys out with shotgun shells. He didn't ask if I was from NJ and I didn't tell him.

Maybe if the NJ resident info becomes known to them they are supposed to ask for FPID but there are no residency laws in PA to buy ammo.

Dicks policy is that ay center fire rifle or pistol caliber, as well as any slug or buckshot needs to get logged out with your identification. Any shot smaller than buck is good to go over the counter. Trust me I work there and do it 100x a week.

Must be a store specific policy then, because I've bought .308 and .223 at Dicks in NJ a number of times and have never been asked for an ID, FPID, or otherwise. Whether they "log" it or not I don't remember. They did however put it in some plastic case thingy, but I assumed that was because they didn't want the ammo "walking out" of the store without being payed for, as the sporting goods section is in the back corner, and cashiers are in the front.

Must be a store specific policy then, because I've bought .308 and .223 at Dicks in NJ a number of times and have never been asked for an ID, FPID, or otherwise. Whether they "log" it or not I don't remember. They did however put it in some plastic case thingy, but I assumed that was because they didn't want the ammo "walking out" of the store without being payed for, as the sporting goods section is in the back corner, and cashiers are in the front.

i must agree with the bolded quote above, as i have always been asked for my FID when buying handgun ammo, rifle ammo and anything other then gun club or bird shot.

oddly enought i had the dicks in manahawkin ask for a handgun Permit card when i went to buy some 9mm ammo. :sarcastichand: After a brief discussion i got my ammo.

There was an employee at the walmart in ft washington, pa that wouldnt sell me ammo at all, even with a DL and FPID. I emailed the store via the website, and got a reply saying that the manager had re-informed sporting goods employees of correct practices. This was prob 2 years ago.

Dick's in Burlington has a sign that talks about the "New NJ law" that requires a FID for all ammo.

They are horrible there. The last time I went the guy was rude, asked for FID for bird shot then when I asked to check out the 9MM ammo he rolled his eyes as if I were inconveniencing him. Needless to say that was the last time I bought ammo in NJ. Whenever I am in PA or out of state I make it a habit of buying a few boxes of 9MM, .223, .380 or whatever.

I have not bought ammo in NJ since February....