jermz1987

Almost done with my closet safe. Take a look!!!

Guysssssssssssssssss, stop worrying. Jeremy hasn't told you his whole plan yet and since I'm tired of hearing you all bash on him I'm going to spill the beans. Look what you made me do, now everyone will know J's top secret now. He took Franks advice and got an Alarm system, it's a really mean alarm system too. Check it out...................

61CUQTnoZJL.jpg

ROAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cold, it really amounts to time. How much time would a thief take to get in. How much time is it fire rated for. The last safe I looked at had a glass plate in it that would break if drilled locking the safe. Some "safes are poorly made. You could drill a small hole in the side and push with a rod and it would push the locking bolts backwards unlocking the safe :( Another one you could litterally smack the knob off with a hammer and centr punch it with a big screwdriver and it would open :shock: To me the fire rating is a big part of the protection of a safe.

Jermz, brother I would suggest that you go for the hidden room vs secure room. I have yet to be defeated by any residential or commercial grade door. No Im not a closet theif LOL.

http://www.hiddendoors.net/

Is it worth 2 or 3 thousand dollars for an awesome safe to protect $2000 worth of guns?

What percentage of burglaries happen with highly skilled intruders (ones that bring tools (they would also need to know what they are preparing for- how?)).

I'm just guessing here, but I'm guessing most burglaries are smash and grab.. hitting the "common places" like the dresser drawers and jewelery boxes.. in and out.

Shane I'm not saying that what your saying is wrong or what Jeremy is doing is what but you need to look at it at two perspectives. You have a single gun with optics that is worth more than 10k bucks. Jeremy has a collection worth maybe 2g's. There's a HUGE difference. There's no way he's gonna drop 4g on a safe when there's no need to.

M

Most thieves dont know or are not smart enough to plan out a break in on us who have guns, majority are looking for things to steal for quick money. The less than 1% who are targeting gun owners are going after guys who have an arsenal. He should be fine, no matter what.

The dog is great!!

Good luck J

How much is the life worth of the person it was taken from with a stolen firearm? It goes a little beyond the dollars and cents of the firearm value. A 3 lb hand sledge and a big screwdriver is hardly prepared! 4g is not required. Wallmart had the Sentry safe at around 400lbs for $350 on sale that would stop the 99%ers you guys are claiming. A hardened closet is not a safe. A gun locker is not a safe. A gun cabinet is not a safe. Only a safe is a safe. Since what he is doing is not a safe, I recomended deception to try and better achieve what he is doing and provided a link for ideas. It doesnt take a skilled criminal to go look up how to make a bump key on youtube that will open 80% of your front doors after they watched your house for a week to figure out how long they can have their way with it. Should have, would have, could have, are all to late once the mare is out of the stall. Inner city has targeted YOUR rural area for gun thefts. This is something you should be aware of. I live in an upper middle class neighborhood. The house next door and the house across the street have been robbed. My friend lives in the estate section of Jackson surrounded buy super expensive homes. Several have been robbed.... The officers I spoke to said they are really having a hard time with far reaching "gang" influence with the whole drug tie in. I think many of you would have your eyes opened wide if you bought and listended to a scanner locked in on your local PD.

I understand not everyone can afford the perfect solution(I cant either) and doing something is better than nothing but a false sense of security can be just as dangerouse!

DJG an excellent point most overlook.

So I decided to make the closet in my room into a safe. Its pretty much complete, I just need to add the new heavy duty doors and put my cloths back. Tell me what you think. It was cheap to do too. Just a few peg boards a hook kit some cutting and your good to go. :)

You must not be married :)

So I decided to make the closet in my room into a safe. Its pretty much complete, I just need to add the new heavy duty doors and put my cloths back. Tell me what you think. It was cheap to do too. Just a few peg boards a hook kit some cutting and your good to go. :)

:lol: I was thinking the same thing.

LOL :lol: Thank god I'm not.

How much is the life worth of the person it was taken from with a stolen firearm? It goes a little beyond the dollars and cents of the firearm value. A 3 lb hand sledge and a big screwdriver is hardly prepared! 4g is not required. Wallmart had the Sentry safe at around 400lbs for $350 on sale that would stop the 99%ers you guys are claiming. A hardened closet is not a safe. A gun locker is not a safe. A gun cabinet is not a safe. Only a safe is a safe. Since what he is doing is not a safe, I recomended deception to try and better achieve what he is doing and provided a link for ideas. It doesnt take a skilled criminal to go look up how to make a bump key on youtube that will open 80% of your front doors after they watched your house for a week to figure out how long they can have their way with it. Should have, would have, could have, are all to late once the mare is out of the stall. Inner city has targeted YOUR rural area for gun thefts. This is something you should be aware of. I live in an upper middle class neighborhood. The house next door and the house across the street have been robbed. My friend lives in the estate section of Jackson surrounded buy super expensive homes. Several have been robbed.... The officers I spoke to said they are really having a hard time with far reaching "gang" influence with the whole drug tie in. I think many of you would have your eyes opened wide if you bought and listended to a scanner locked in on your local PD.

I understand not everyone can afford the perfect solution(I cant either) and doing something is better than nothing but a false sense of security can be just as dangerouse!

DJG an excellent point most overlook.

Very very very good advice.

A very big issue is alot of people think that living in crime free/ low crime area, will stop them from being robbed. Find Chad's posts about all the b&e's occurring in Colt's Neck, Freehold, Marlboro, Manalapan.

True, But like you said, Not everyone can afford the perfect solution, and something is better then nothing. I honestly believe my firearms are secure, and until I get a 10,000 pound safe that is molten lava rated. I believe there fine.

Most thieves dont know or are not smart enough to plan out a break in on us who have guns, majority are looking for things to steal for quick money. The less than 1% who are targeting gun owners are going after guys who have an arsenal. He should be fine, no matter what.

The dog is great!!

Good luck J

And just how would anyone know which house has a gun and which doesn't? Do you have a big sign on your lawn or something?

Also, where are you getting all this detailed psychological profiling and inside information from? How do you know what most thieves are after or not? If you think having a gun makes you a deterrent, maybe while you're home. But while you're away, leaving half a dozen guns in a closet than can be smashed through in seconds is about as naive as it gets if you ask me.

The dog is great!!

Good luck J

And just how would anyone know which house has a gun and which doesn't? Do you have a big sign on your lawn or something?

Also, where are you getting all this detailed psychological profiling and inside information from? How do you know what most thieves are after or not? If you think having a gun makes you a deterrent, maybe while you're home. But while you're away, leaving half a dozen guns in a closet than can be smashed through in seconds is about as naive as it gets if you ask me.

I already stated that the room itself was already hard to get into. I'm not just relying on the closet to keep them safe. I also stated that it was not finished, But your entitled your your opinion.

:roll:

NJgunowner just curious, how are your guns secured??

Let's outline the discussion so far:

OP - Look what I built!!!

Respondent 1 Dood - you suck, that would fall over if a gnat farted near it.

OP - No gnats here

Respondent 2 Man, you really need to be afraid if that big azz gnat comes over and farts near it

OP - No gnats here

Respondent 3 J - like it's ok man, but you need to make sure the gnats can't get it

OP - no gnats

Respondent 1 Really man, you should be prepared for the gnat invasion. Ray Ray has been posting all over the intergnet about the impending gnat ignvasion.

OP - gnats? Would the mod just please close this topic?

J - nice way to hang up your guns. :D

Jermz, if its not a security issue for your dwelling, Im curious to know what it is that makes it hard to get into? Im not trying to pick on you here, really. Ive just never encountered anything in a home thats really secure thats not an actual security product and my suspicion is that you overestimate the security resistance of items not specifically designed as such. Thats why I suggested hiding, a false wall maybe? But in all honesty, a >$400 safe would serve you much, much better.

One more thing, its been my experience that items made of metal hanging on a hard surface will somehow trap moisture and cause rust on the side facing the wall.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product. ... Method=rr&

0004907401186_500X500.jpg

Seriously though, instead of spending $400 to $500 on the next gun, spend it on a safe. Not only will it protect from B&E's, it will protect from dumbasses, and oh crap's such as dropped gun, humidity, dust, rust, etc.

Hey jermz1987 looking at your project and was wondering if you thought about a fax wall in front of the firearms. You most likely have to move the cloths out of the way to get to everything and at that point a hinged faux wall would be easy to open. just a thought and I don't think it would be hard to do and would not cost much money. You could have it below the shelf and you might have to move out the hanger bar a little. Good luck with the project.

Close the thread,

You can lead a horse to water but you cant make him drink,

This could lead to bad PR for the site and gun owners with all the anti trolls

did you just call me a horse.

Hey jermz1987 looking at your project and was wondering if you thought about a fax wall in front of the firearms. You most likely have to move the cloths out of the way to get to everything and at that point a hinged fax wall would be easy to open. just a thought and I don't think it would be hard to do and would not cost much money. You could have it below the shelf and you might have to move out the hanger bar a little. Good luck with the project.

Terrific idea.

OK Ive taken all the advice here and will be starting demolition on Friday. I plan to level the entire house. I will pour concrete into the base. Then i emailed Fort Knox to find out who supplies their safes. Once I have the safe it will be bolted into the center of said bunker. Once in place I will have an electronic key system that will unlock the first section of the safe, But the keys must be turned simultaneously by 2 people to be opened. Once inside the first half of the safe a piano made of human bones will appear. You must play the first half of a Jimi Hendrix song to pass on through the third corridor of death, Where you will be required to fight the 3 headed demon beast of Avalon. Once the beast is defeated only then will you gain access to the map with the exact location of the key. That key will get you into the house next door where the firearms are located.

OK Ive taken all the advice here and will be starting demolition on Friday. I plan to level the entire house. I will pour concrete into the base. Then i emailed Fort Knox to find out who supplies their safes. Once I have the safe it will be bolted into the center of said bunker. Once in place I will have an electronic key system that will unlock the first section of the safe, But the keys must be turned simultaneously by 2 people to be opened. Once inside the first half of the safe a piano made of human bones will appear. You must play the first half of a Jimi Hendrix song to pass on through the third corridor of death, Where you will be required to fight the 3 headed demon beast of Avalon. Once the beast is defeated only then will you gain access to the map with the exact location of the key. That key will get you into the house next door where the firearms are located.

:D:D:lol::lol::D:D